Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #201
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
Arkham Knight line was a learning experience for many here. The price point was very attractive for the size and detail you got. It came at a time when Sideshow was doing it's price increases, inconsistent QC and some had enough. The problem was that some collectors:

1. Underestimated the size of the statues, box storage and the compounding costs of 1/3 scale.

2. Still wanted to continue to collect other scales and add this on the side as if it were a Gentle Giant bust.

3. P1 was aggressive with the support for this line releasing such variety, repeat characters, variants, etc. as if they were 1/9 scale $70 statues. This also guaranteed taking a bath when reselling because, looking back, the edition sizes were too big to begin with. Some folks discovered the magic of today's shipping costs when reselling these.

At 1/3 scale you gotta love these things and approach them as keepers. Batman Who Laughs is an amazing work of art, but I have no attachment to it. On the other hand, I was reading comics when the Jim Lee Hush run was happening and going to the comic store every month. P1 doing 6 high end statues of that? Yeah, I'm willing to commit. All the designs fit what I like and I'm even willing to bet that if the line does well we may get a Tim Drake Robin here first than with Sideshow. That is inconceivable to me.
Box size and shipping is huge. That being said, their selection is amazing and I think helped the line a lot. People knew they could collect their favourite characters and have them go together, which so many companies don’t offer.
ComicJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:02 PM   #202
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Glad I limit my 1/4 scale purchases. For me 1/6 was and still is the best for collecting. First it was Bowen then Tweeterhead. We can now have both quality and quantity. 1/4 scale limits me to what I can have due to space. 1/6 scale allows me to get complete teams. 78 Marvel statues on one wall. I am betting Tweeterheads gonna get me the first full Justice League set plus others! I've got the Munsters and soon an Addams family set. No way I could do all this with 1/4 scale.

To each is own but I'm choosing quality and quantity.
1/6 is extremely collectible. And that's really where this hobby took off.

I'm expecting a resurgence in the next few years as price climb and people run out of space and money.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:30 PM   #203
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I think the problem is the OCD collecting mentality. People get wrapped up in keeping everything the same scale, being completionists, etc. So to get one 1/3 means getting them all, people try that for a year and then burn out or regret it when a whole new 1/3 line emerges that excites them. I think this is what we're seeing with the Arkham Knight line. It was the first and everyone got all excited and bit off more than they could chew (myself included).

Collecting entire lines is either for Marvel Legends collectors, or people with immense amounts of space to play with. For average schmucks like us, the name of the game is curation. Approaching this stuff more like an art collector and less like an action figure collector makes more sense, IMO.
I think you said all that needs to be said here. It's good that we all have the choice to get whatever we personally prefer; there is no "wrong" answer here.

I've never had any interest in having tons of characters; I have my "core" list of characters I really like and I allocate a space or 2 for statues I like of other characters. My list consists of:

- Batman
- Superman
- Wonder Woman
- Catwoman
- Joker
- Iron Man (I want one, but I have a hard time finding one I really like. XM Hulkbuster though.....wow)
- Captain America
- Thor
- Hulk (A fringe character for me, but I love Hulk vs Wolverine maquette)
- Wolverine
- Thanos (Only have because of Thanos on Throne)

And that's really it. I don't think I could name another character that I would definitely want. My buying options are always going to be plentiful (because they're popular characters,) but at the same time limited because I will just never have tons of characters I feel compelled to buy.

Oh and I know this is an off topic conversation, but I don't think it's the worst thing in the world that these things happen sometimes. It's a good conversation and there's no harm in that.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #204
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

This statue is so sick looking it has me interested in the storyline. I'm considering picking up all three hardcovers from Amazon.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #205
SONICobra
Batman

are they available yet? ive been trying to watch for them because i hate buying all these issues from these huge crossover events
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #206
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
are they available yet? ive been trying to watch for them because i hate buying all these issues from these huge crossover events
Yes.

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Nights-K...40_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Days-Met...40_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Nights-D...40_&dpSrc=srch
Old 07-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #207
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
This statue is so sick looking it has me interested in the storyline. I'm considering picking up all three hardcovers from Amazon.
You should try ordering it from your LCS (if you have one). I know so many shops are dying for people to order this stuff through them.

The series is phenomenal. Make sure you you have all the time-one too.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #208
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicJesus View Post
You should try ordering it from your LCS (if you have one). I know so many shops are dying for people to order this stuff through them.

The series is phenomenal. Make sure you you have all the time-one too.
Can you clarify what this means?

Also, what order do I read them in?
Old 07-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #209
ComicJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Can you clarify what this means?

Also, what order do I read them in?
Damn auto correct tie-ins I meant. There is a somewhat long list online of the reading order. BMWL is the suicide squad one.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #210
gamegod2x
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Are there two versions? one silver and one gold???

The gargoyles and the name plate on the back of the statue look gold in the video below but the statue at comic con was silver. Do you think they will have two versions of this statue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDTlDjkOnU8

gamegod2x is offline   Reply With Quote