Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > IT Department

Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

How to deal with my old desktop

I have a desktop that I have probably had for at least 8 years or more. I don't actually do anything with it given that it is sooooooo slow. The last thing I did with it was my taxes last year. In fact it has all my tax info (from Turbo Tax and the such) for the last 7 years. It also has my wireless router hooked up to it. I want to save the tax stuff and some other general files but don't really want to transfer them to one of the lap tops and I don't want to get another desk top. What's the best way to handle storing the data and what do I do about the wireless router?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Just get a USB drive, its easy to just put it into any computer and move files from comp to comp and or just store them.

Splurge and get a 32gig or a 16gig, you wont regret it. They are great, just be careful not to lose them.

Or you can buy a 2 TB USB external HD and use it as a storage drive for all your computers. They are great to just leave on a desk and plug into a laptop or desktop. Can use it as a media center external HD with storing files, movies, music etc.. They cost like $80.

As for the router, why does it matter if its hooked to the pc?

With a wireless router, it should just be hooked up to the modem and any wireless item in the house can see it. Or if you have a hard wired item to them.

If the wireless router is old as the PC, its time to replace that as well. They have a lifespan of 3 years most of the time.

I got a wireless mac router, all my wireless items can see it and i only have my mac pro, PS3 and xbox hard wired to it.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Thanks for the advice. As to the router, it is a good three years old at least. Given the number of electronics I now have in the house, it probably would be a good idea to get a new one. To set up the router, don't I need it to be hooked up to a computer or can I do it over a laptop?

thanks!!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

You can do it with a laptop.

Once a router is set up with a password for wireless protection its set in it and can be moved anywhere, house to house etc...

A pc does not need to be hooked up to a router for it to work, just to do the initial set up is all that needs to be done for it.

Dlink and netgear routers are good.

If you have to reset a router at least once a day cause it drops out, or net goes out. Means its bad and time for a new one. I had a 3 year old Dlink and every night i had to unplug it and reset it, so i got the apple one and its on nonstop and no drops.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

groovy, thanks!!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Np, ill send you my bill tomorrow!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Or you could buy a hard-drive cage, take your hard-drive out of your desktop and turn it into an external hard-drive.

That way there won't be any worries about unscrupulous others getting their hands on your tax data after you've taken it in for recycling.
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Lebou View Post

That way there won't be any worries about unscrupulous others getting their hands on your tax data after you've taken it in for recycling.
I'm actually going to let me 10 year old take it apart. She loves doing that, took apart my parents desktop a few months ago. Takes it apart pretty well.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I'm actually going to let me 10 year old take it apart. She loves doing that, took apart my parents desktop a few months ago. Takes it apart pretty well.
Its not that easy to rip a HD apart, its not like its screwed in and once the screws are out it falls apart. They make those things so tight, that its almost welded shut. She will need a hammer and a screwdriver to pry a top off to get inside. Then there is sharp needles in there that read the metal discs, so just tell her to be careful if its her first time.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Mean Green
Fantomah

Along the same lines as this... I have an old desktop that I stopped using awhile ago cause it crashed (prob from a virus). Now it's just sitting in my closet.

Can I take a hammer to the hard drive or would people still be able to extract information from it? I can't really recall what I have on it, but some of it is probably financial info.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote