Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 03-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #81
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
You realize selling those statues is just a small part of weta right. Their profit comes from the movie business this is just a hobby for theM.

They are either clearing warehouse for space to store new arrivals or are winding down their statue series because they are not making money / selling.

The $500 for 3 at best weta is breaking even due to making some money off the high shipping, but most likely they are losing money.

On Rivendell they definitely losing money
but no one has it shipped yet....]

The whole tax sale thing is just marketing.
Back in the old SSW days Weta's production costs at the Fred Teng factory were approx $6 per statue and $3 per bust. That was strictly for the cost of material's [cement dust, resin, packaging, and graphic/shipping boxes] and labor at the factory. That didn't include the concept design costs, the costs related to the production of the original, or the molds but any way you slice it the profits were through the ceiling. Sure cost have gone up significantly since then, but so have the cost of these statues.

And based on what I was told by a former Weta employee, Weta is not losing money on any of these statues or environments, even at these prices. Not even close.
Malvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #82
goto
Mephisto

Happy as loyal european but duped customer that Mouth of Sauron,Batlle Troll and Thrandruil on Elk are not fall under this stockable sale madness!
goto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #83
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

I went for the fell beast Bust, even after adding on shipping and tax it was still a £150 saving over the uk price so not too bad.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #84
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvo View Post
Back in the old SSW days Weta's production costs at the Fred Teng factory were approx $6 per statue and $3 per bust. That was strictly for the cost of material's [cement dust, resin, packaging, and graphic/shipping boxes] and labor at the factory. That didn't include the concept design costs, the costs related to the production of the original, or the molds but any way you slice it the profits were through the ceiling. Sure cost have gone up significantly since then, but so have the cost of these statues.

And based on what I was told by a former Weta employee, Weta is not losing money on any of these statues or environments, even at these prices. Not even close.
What year is that?

To be fair though the statue weta has now is far more detailed and higher quality than their original statue from years ago.
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #85
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvo View Post
I don't pretend to be a tax expert in New Zealand or anywhere else, but this is the first 'tax sale' I've ever heard of from Weta [or any other collectible company for that matter] and I've been collecting their statues since 2001. I suspect this tax time reasoning is BS, I think it much more likely they've got a warehouse full of statues and they've got to move some inventory because they're out of space.

I actually know a former Weta employee who worked in their movie prop department for 4 years before coming home last year. He was working for Weta when they began these Black Friday sales and he said they were the result of a warehouse filled to the rafters with statues and nowhere to put new batches.
Its a real thing, you have to pay tax on inventory every year in many places.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #86
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
You realize selling those statues is just a small part of weta right. Their profit comes from the movie business this is just a hobby for theM.

They are either clearing warehouse for space to store new arrivals or are winding down their statue series because they are not making money / selling.

The $500 for 3 at best weta is breaking even due to making some money off the high shipping, but most likely they are losing money.

On Rivendell they definitely losing money but no one has it shipped yet....

The whole tax sale thing is just marketing.
Of course I know the collectibles division isn't the only arm of their company, but they make a ton off this stuff. Don't you worry about them losing money, they definitely aren't even at these sale prices(and even if they did it would be a tax write off).
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #87
Darth Milo
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milo View Post
Today I received my 2 Torturer of Dol Guldur statue's.. well that's what I thought.. instead they send me 2 Orc soldier of Dol Guldur statue's that I didn't order.
I'm awaiting their reply because it's sold out now in The E.U. warehouse.. so I'm curious how they are going to fix this error.
Got a reply from Weta on the 14th.. Weta would organise collection for the wrong statue's and ship the correct ones but that was his only reply.
The good news is that the Torturer is back in stock at the E.U. warehouse which is only 60 miles from where I live...so it's very frustrating that I'm allready waiting 8 days..
Darth Milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #88
SeekNdestroy
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milo View Post
Got a reply from Weta on the 14th.. Weta would organise collection for the wrong statue's and ship the correct ones but that was his only reply.
The good news is that the Torturer is back in stock at the E.U. warehouse which is only 60 miles from where I live...so it's very frustrating that I'm allready waiting 8 days..
Out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to receive a response from weta? I emailed them because I simply can’t log into my weta account but that was six days ago. I haven’t received a response.
SeekNdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #89
Darth Milo
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekNdestroy View Post
Out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to receive a response from weta? I emailed them because I simply can’t log into my weta account but that was six days ago. I haven’t received a response.
Within 48 hours but I'm also waiting 6 days now for their second reply..
Darth Milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #90
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

hi, anyone who ordered rivendell as part of this sale have received tracking numbers yet?

All my other statues have shipped but still nothing on rivendell, just curious if anyone else got theirs shipped.
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote