Old 01-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #11
FROBAY
Phoenix

I fully enjoyed the first episode.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:51 AM   #12
Vracula
Jedi Order

Omfg just saw the 1st episode . This is already my fav retelling of my fav Novel.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #13
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I'm a huge fan of Sherlock so when I heard about this I was pretty interested. Looks like it might be really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC9TjMNqPEo
That looks good.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:57 AM   #14
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
That looks good.
Its got that Sherlock Dry Wit . It is unbelievable but they make it work lol.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #15
Vracula
Jedi Order

That last episode was a disappointment.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #16
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Just finished the first episode and I’ve given up on it’s being true to Stoker’s book. Yes, he’s evil, but his jokester and wise cracking personality is off-point. I wish Jonathan Harker wasn’t treated the way he was in this series. Certainly, the horror aspect is really well done. I’m in for the next two episodes, but the treatment for this Dracula’s just not the same as Stoker characterized him. He might as well not be Dracula.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #17
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Just finished the first episode and I’ve given up on it’s being true to Stoker’s book. Yes, he’s evil, but his jokester and wise cracking personality is off-point. I wish Jonathan Harker wasn’t treated the way he was in this series. Certainly, the horror aspect is really well done. I’m in for the next two episodes, but the treatment for this Dracula’s just not the same as Stoker characterized him. He might as well not be Dracula.
That Dracula is gone. Movies are generally targeting (all) genders now which means evil and cruel won't cut it anymore. Many want to see Dracula as sensitive, loving, looking for love, insecure, aching for approval from women, and yearning to cuddle in front of a fire place while drinking merlot. That is the fantasy - and it if it means viewership will double if Dracula is portrayed as a misunderstood cuddly boyfriend next door with dreamy eyes, then that is what we will get.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #18
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
That Dracula is gone. Movies are generally targeting (all) genders now which means evil and cruel won't cut it anymore. Many want to see Dracula as sensitive, loving, looking for love, insecure, aching for approval from women, and yearning to cuddle in front of a fire place while drinking merlot. That is the fantasy - and it if it means viewership will double if Dracula is portrayed as a misunderstood cuddly boyfriend next door with dreamy eyes, then that is what we will get.
There is nothing cuddly about this Dracula. He is sarcastic but cuddly no. The third episode is a let down but in the first two episodes he is a straight up psyochopath who revels in despair and torture. Encompassing all of Dracula’s characteristics minus the humor.

I don’t think these guys were going for potraying the original to the Tee , I mean look at the Sherlock series they created , it’s a reimagining, I have no problem with reimagining providing the chore characteristics are still there. They took their liberties and failed miserably in the 3rd episode, but the first 2 episodes are probably the best dracula reimagining I have seen.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #19
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
There is nothing cuddly about this Dracula. He is sarcastic but cuddly no. The third episode is a let down but in the first two episodes he is a straight up psyochopath who revels in despair. Encompassing all of Dracula’s characteristics minus the humor.
I hear you. I was really speaking in general. Vampires, of late it seems, appear more targeted towards 14 year old girls who seem to fantasize about tortured and melancholy boys in desperate need of saving. That's never been my preference of vampire but I get the draw.

Lucifer is another example. He's now a character defined by profound sense of abandonment from daddy, he's sarcastic, and desires approval from the girl next door type... Not quite the anti-christ.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #20
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I hear you. I was really speaking in general. Vampires, of late it seems, appear more targeted towards 14 year old girls who seem to fantasize about tortured and melancholy boys in desperate need of saving. That's never been my preference of vampire but I get the draw.

Lucifer is another example. He's now a character defined by profound sense of abandonment from daddy, he's sarcastic, and desires approval from the girl next door type... Not quite the anti-christ.
Lucifer of the comics was never really the anti-christ type. He was always the guy forced into a job he really didn't want. That's why he takes a vacation.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote