Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #1841
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurturer View Post
As per the pics, I have the statue on a backwards lean, secured with masking tape, with the busted head in place for added weight. I heated up the right ankle area with a small hair dryer set to LOW for about 15 minutes. Well, where you see my finger is where I felt the space beginning to close. Before heating the right leg, I could get my finger all the way in. So, it IS closing. Now I'm convinced that it was the heat\humidity in the room that made it lean. But it shouldn't lean AT ALL. During the summer, I don't use the air conditioning. Hey, I enjoy that heat. However, as I mentioned before, I have statues and models in this area of the house, including other various SS statues and NONE of them have been affected by temperature and they've been there for over two years, and this guy, on display for only 6 months, acquires a heavy lean. Again, that tells me this statue was made with cheap resin. Side Show is cutting corners, selling statues like this one at VERY inflated prices, using garbage resin. I asked the guy sending me the new masked head if they've received any complaints of a leaning issue, and he told me no. So either he's lying, or more people need to complain. Anyway, I plan to give it 15 minutes of heat per day until it re-positions itself, and that's where I'll reinforce the right leg with a metal rod. And BTW, I have no idea why my pics display horizontally. But anyway . . .
All I know is if I felt compelled to do any of that for even 1 statue that I ever bought, it would be the last statue I bought. At these prices it is just not worth it to go through that kind of stuff and/or be concerned about statue issues due to internal temperature. That would be it for me.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #1842
nurturer
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
All I know is if I felt compelled to do any of that for even 1 statue that I ever bought, it would be the last statue I bought. At these prices it is just not worth it to go through that kind of stuff and/or be concerned about statue issues due to internal temperature. That would be it for me.
I agree, but the only three alternative I see are: 1) Sell it as defective 2) Put it back in the box, or 3) Fix it. And since I like the statue, and I have the skills, number 3) seems the best way. And you're right, buying from Side Show Toys is not a good idea anymore. I'd really like the Side Show crew to take a look at this thread so they can get a feel for the discontentment out here.
nurturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #1843
xpl0sive
Justice League

Nurturer, are you from a humid climate by any chance? Just wondering what would've caused this. A bad batch of them going around perhaps? Your pics freaked me out so I checked mine as it had been a while, but mine appears fine. As a precaution, I placed a bit of rubber under the base to lift it up slightly so that he stands more upright, just in case.

Its so frustrating that this sort of thing can happen to such an expensive statue.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #1844
nurturer
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Nurturer, are you from a humid climate by any chance? Just wondering what would've caused this. A bad batch of them going around perhaps? Your pics freaked me out so I checked mine as it had been a while, but mine appears fine. As a precaution, I placed a bit of rubber under the base to lift it up slightly so that he stands more upright, just in case.

Its so frustrating that this sort of thing can happen to such an expensive statue.
I'm in NW Indiana, and as I mentioned, I don't turn on the air conditioning during the summer. But that shouldn't matter with a quality piece. I have a Hulk statue that is in a forward leaning pose, and is as heavy as hell, and no issues. Because it's well made, AND, has a metal peg in the lead heel of the foot.

Anyway, As you see in the pic, the left leg has re-positioned itself back into its slot. I'm really surprised with how malleable this resin is. I thought it might take a month to do this, but it took all tolled, maybe an hour. Again, this shows me just what crap resin was used for this statue. This technique, of using a hairdryer to manipulate resin positioning is the advise they give you for "garage kits". And that's what this seems like. An over priced garage kit. If I could curse here, I would.

Now, to order the necessary magnets, get a long enough drill bit, and do what Side Show was too lazy or too stupid to do. I'll be using JD Weld for glue. That stuff dries rock hard, as it has steel dust mixed into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181020_083147.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	118153  
Old 10-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #1845
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

So what's the main issue here? Is it leaning...all of them? I have my ex shipped and will get it on Tuesday
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #1846
nurturer
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
So what's the main issue here? Is it leaning...all of them? I have my ex shipped and will get it on Tuesday
I know mine is. Others can speak for themselves.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:12 AM   #1847
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
Mine is fine over 6 mos..but its always cool in my room and as he mention the heat in his room might had something do with his leaning?
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #1848
bradjk1
Fantastic Four

I’ve had mine for 6+ months and it’s completely fine. No leaning at all.
bradjk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #1849
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Friend has one... no leaning...
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #1850
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

My friend doesn't have one, but he leans.

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote