Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #571
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macethy View Post
This is definitely true for us who buy statues or other items which are simply not made in Canada, but I can see why retailers would be apprehensive about it when you can buy stuff from the USA Amazon for cheaper than your local Best Buy.
It seems Best Buys rely more on sales of refrigerators and washing machines these days than TVs and other entertainment mediums. They moved on. Any day now, Best Buy will become the next Sears. Times sure are a'changin'.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #572
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
It seems Best Buys rely more on sales of refrigerators and washing machines these days than TVs and other entertainment mediums. They moved on. Any day now, Best Buy will become the next Sears. Times sure are a'changin'.
You clearly havent been following Best Buys overall sales levels the last couple years, or their stock price for that matter.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...-earnings.aspx

Thier online sales saw a 31.2% growth year over year, which is HUGELY impressive especially when you consider who thier competing against online.

And thier stock price is basically double what it was just last year.

Refrigerators and washing machines, lol. Thats funny stuff.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #573
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post

Refrigerators and washing machines, lol. Thats funny stuff.

Have you been to a Best Buy lately? Their line of refrigerators, washing machines, stoves, treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, vacuum cleaners, and goodness knows what else now make up a big part of their catalogue. I can easily see them eventually offering things like alarm systems, electric fireplaces, sofas, and espresso machines, if they don't already.

Their stock prices indicate, or at the very least suggest, a branching out and evolution from simply selling entertainment related media.

P.S. I may be wrong but I'm assuming you interpreted my "Sears" comment to mean that Best Buy is going out of business, which was not what I meant at all. What I meant was that Best Buy was going to serve many more client needs outside it's generally identified TV/Phone/PC/Cameras sales profile, like "Sears" was known to.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #574
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Have you been to a Best Buy lately? Their line of refrigerators, washing machines, stoves, treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, vacuum cleaners, and goodness knows what else now make up a big part of their catalogue. I can easily see them eventually offering things like alarm systems, electric fireplaces, sofas, and espresso machines, if they don't already.

Their stock prices indicate, or at the very least suggest, a branching out and evolution from simply selling entertainment related media.

P.S. I may be wrong but I'm assuming you interpreted my "Sears" comment to mean that Best Buy is going out of business, which was not what I meant at all. What I meant was that Best Buy was going to serve many more client needs outside it's generally identified TV/Phone/PC/Cameras sales profile, like "Sears" was known to.
Yeah, I am in my local Best Buy at least 2-3 times a month. And no, I didn't interpret your comment to mean Best Buy is going out of business as Sears hasn't even gone out of business yet. They have closed a lot of stores, but they arent out of business yet. I assumed you were refering to the image of the company more than anything else or how well the companies were doing sales wise. It doesnt really matter as either one is pretty laughable given the massive turn around we have seen from Best Buy over the last couple years. They stole so much gaming business away from Amazon that Amazon had to match Best Buy's Gamer club by offering 20% off new game releases for Prime members.

As for what Best Buy carries in store, they carry the things that actually sell. This has without question been the biggest change we have seen with Best Buy, the things they actually carry in store. Instead of having a MASSIVE movie and music section, most of which sell very slowely, they mostly focus on new releases. My local Best Buy's movie section is literally like 1/10th the size it used to be. Same for music. They are focusing on stocking items that are popular and are selling. Things like Phones, cameras, computers, laptops, ipads, hard drives, smart house items, HDTV's, videogames, drones, wearable technology (fitness watches, headphones), portable speakers, etc. I was just in Sears last year as we just replaced our refigerator and stove and that is where we went. Best Buy is like the exact opposite of Sears at this point, especialy in regards to how well the companies are doing right now sales wise. You walk into a Sears and you feel like you walked back in time 25 years to the early 90's. You walk into a Best Buy today and you feel like your in a modern technology store.

As for their stock price, that is more about their overall success with online sales and people's confidence in the company in general given the huge turn around Best Buy has displayed these last couple years. Best Buy has been branching out from just selling entertainment related media for quite some time now. They just weren't very successful at it. Thier focus online these last couple years and the complete changing of the layout of most of their stores, in regards to just what kind of items they sell in thier stores now, is the reason for Best Buys big turn around and the doubling of their stock price.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #575
ambasah
Red Skull

Sears will be out of Canada by the end of Jan.2018.

I am surprised BB is doing well. They closed all of the Future Shop locations although granted a few were converted to BBs. Hope they make it.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 AM   #576
Fixedluck
Doh!

Hey VS1976, I just received a statue from Blizzard and they used the code 9825.10.00.00 and was charged 20%!!!! customs and duties shipped by Fedex.

$350 US value ($446.11 Cad)
$89.22 Customs/Duties
$69.59 GST/HST
$11.30 ROD Fee (even though I have a Fedex account!)
For a total of $170.11 at the Door!!!!

Do I have to go after Fedex or CBSA to get my money back? Thanks in advance for any help and thank you for your fight on this matter in general!!
Fixedluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:44 AM   #577
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedluck View Post
Hey VS1976, I just received a statue from Blizzard and they used the code 9825.10.00.00 and was charged 20%!!!! customs and duties shipped by Fedex.

$350 US value ($446.11 Cad)
$89.22 Customs/Duties
$69.59 GST/HST
$11.30 ROD Fee (even though I have a Fedex account!)
For a total of $170.11 at the Door!!!!

Do I have to go after Fedex or CBSA to get my money back? Thanks in advance for any help and thank you for your fight on this matter in general!!
For FedEx, call them to get your ROD fee back. You will need to fill a B2G Form to get your duty back. I've been successful at it but others not. You can get the B2G form through CBSA website or through FedEx. Sent me a PM with your email and I'll sent you what I did.

On another note, They should not be using 9825.10. Its completely wrong

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...8-2013-eng.pdf

I would also contact ssc why they applied the HS code to the parcel. It's possible FedEx can actually reverse and correct it before going the B2G route.

Jason
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:00 AM   #578
Fixedluck
Doh!

It was Blizzard that send it and I have already emailed them on the matter as I knew the code had to be wrong as I have about 60 pieces and have never paid any duties on any of them (haven't ordered from sideshow in a little while) let alone 20%! But I remembered seeing this thread a little while back and was actually good to get caught up on it as I do have 2 pieces on pre-order with Sideshow now. Again, thank you for all your help and hard work on this matter and I will now be prepared when I get my shipments from Sideshow as well as getting this shipment sorted out.
Fixedluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #579
Agoniste
U talkin' to me?

Last time blizzard charged me taxes from the website..which only be applied to u.s residents and they charge custom fees again..paid taxes twice
Agoniste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #580
Bowen or Bust
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

So for you financial wizards , if SS does nothing and continues to use the wrong codes, what are we looking at the fees being at the door for us Canadians (Ontario residents preferably)on the Thanos statue ... I want to be a little prepared for the ass **ping.
Thanks for the help .
Bowen or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote