Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 05-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Disney Traditions - "Fur Lined Diva" - Cruella De Vil - The StatueForum Review

Disney Traditions (produced by Enesco): The Jim Shore collection: "Fur lined Diva" from the classic animated theatrical release: 101 Dalmatians.

The Queen of cruel, Cruella De Vil makes her memorable mark in the Disney Traditions line with this delightful statue beautifully sculpted by renown artist Jim Shore. Commemorating the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney's animated masterpiece 101 Dalmatians, Jim Shore perfectly captures Cruella in all her self-obsessed mischievous glory. Made of stone resin, handpainted, this sculpture stands 9.5 inches tall.

Available at Amazon or made to order through most Hallmark and Disney shops. List price - $75.

risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 05-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Disney Traditions - "Fur Lined Diva" from 101 Dalmatians - The StatueForum Review

Sculpture: This was such a fun piece to review. And, as the title suggests, the artist aims to capture the Queen of cruel, Cruela De Vil in all her self obsessed glory. What seems to be an ongoing theme with this line of statues is that the sculptor, Jim Shore, didn't overdo the cutesy factor and went more with translating the element of fun and mischievousness typically associated with the themes of this 50 year old classic animated musical film. The only real downside to this piece is the size, i.e., 9.5 inches. However, given the target audience for this piece, it makes perfect sense to opt for producing smaller, more affordable pieces.

The sculptor, Jim Shore, is the Randy Bowen equivalent in the Disney world as he (and his production company) has quite literally sculpted, designed, and produced most characters in the Disney animated world.

Rating 9/10

Paint/Mixed media: The paint applications on this sculpture are quite good. Solid, consistent, and generally within the lines. I'm impressed enough to confidently purchase other pieces from Walt Disney's showcase collection. If this is what $75 can get you, it makes you wonder how the more expensive statue companies are spending the collectors' dollar.

Rating 8/10

Production and Build quality: A one piece sculpture. My favorite. Surprisingly, the statue also has some bulk to it so it isn't lightweight. As noted in the intro, the sculpture is made of stone resin, not quite what we're used to seeing from Sideshow and company. As a result, the paint apps aren't as smooth looking as they could be. The material in some areas almost looks like painted wood carvings. It still looks delightful. And, the low price is a very welcome.

Rating 8/10

Design: I'm a sucker for the classic and an even bigger easy mark when it comes to the baddies. Who doesn't love a really good villain? I'm also starting to wonder if Jim Shore can do any wrong. He nailed this one. All this to say, this piece is very much worth the money.

Rating: 9/10

Overall Rating: 8.5/10
Old 05-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Scale shot with DC Cover Girls Haley Quinn statue.
Very similar scale.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
dechirico7
The Flash

Wow, I love that piece.
How cute, with all the puppies.
Ugh, I wish I had space for other lines.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Nice. These and the grand jester minibusts are lines I could easily get drawn into.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #7
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Excellent photos and review! She was one scary villain when I was a kid!
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Nice. These and the grand jester minibusts are lines I could easily get drawn into.
I've seen the Frozen busts. They're beauties. However, they're generally the same price as these statues.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
omigeo
Alpha Flight

I have her and she is fantastic! one of my favorites by Jim Shore
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote