Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 11-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #361
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

I'm glad it looks the way it does.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:43 AM   #362
Kriegsfuerst
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post

I think Tim Buckner did a great job on Moonmaid of Mars, Ehren did a great job on Virgin of Mahar, Gabriel did great on Egyptian Queen, Clay Moore did great on princess of Mars, and Tim Bruckner did great on Ghoul Queen.

I forgott to mention Tim Buckner's statues of course (have them both). Especially the Ghoul Queen is top notch! That's how a Frazetta face has to be sculpted! I'm not very fond of the Egyptian queen as the diorama looks like as if different components have been put together. I miss the vibe of the painting. I'm missing the same with the Cat Girl diorama. But the biggest failure is her face. I don't see any resemblance neither with the original painting nor a typical Frazetta female face. It's just a shame. And I won't start to rant about the terrible work this sculptor did with the slave-girl's face of ARH's barbarian...

I just don't understand how nobody else in this forum detects this discrepancy. We had the same discussion in a German forum, when her first pictures have been revealed and believe me, comments there were worse than mine here. Not one single member there liked her.
Maybe you Americans see it differently or it's the political correctness which prevents you to criticize that sculpt, I don't know. One could say now, that i just don't have to order a product, which I don't like and to shut my mouth for good. Of course this maxime may be true, but I'm just saddened as a true Frazetta fan since the 70'ies how the opportunity for another iconic Frazetta painting comming to life was utterly wasted.

Well bottom line is, as long everybody who ordered it, will be happy with her, then it's ok and Level 52 studios will hopefully continue bringing more Frazetta stuff.
Kriegsfuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #363
ReTardist
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriegsfuerst View Post
I forgott to mention Tim Buckner's statues of course (have them both). Especially the Ghoul Queen is top notch! That's how a Frazetta face has to be sculpted! I'm not very fond of the Egyptian queen as the diorama looks like as if different components have been put together. I miss the vibe of the painting. I'm missing the same with the Cat Girl diorama. But the biggest failure is her face. I don't see any resemblance neither with the original painting nor a typical Frazetta female face. It's just a shame. And I won't start to rant about the terrible work this sculptor did with the slave-girl's face of ARH's barbarian...

I just don't understand how nobody else in this forum detects this discrepancy. We had the same discussion in a German forum, when her first pictures have been revealed and believe me, comments there were worse than mine here. Not one single member there liked her.
Maybe you Americans see it differently or it's the political correctness which prevents you to criticize that sculpt, I don't know. One could say now, that i just don't have to order a product, which I don't like and to shut my mouth for good. Of course this maxime may be true, but I'm just saddened as a true Frazetta fan since the 70'ies how the opportunity for another iconic Frazetta painting comming to life was utterly wasted.

Well bottom line is, as long everybody who ordered it, will be happy with her, then it's ok and Level 52 studios will hopefully continue bringing more Frazetta stuff.
lol
ReTardist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:45 AM   #364
|Tch0rT|
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

LOL I don't get the complaint either. I have a poster of The Barbarian and her face barely has any detail. Frazetta was a master at implied detail. People who complain about this don't know the challenges of converting something like this to 3D, you had to invent detail. Not to mention all of the changes go through Frazetta's family approval. If I wasn't aware of the statues and saw just the female sculpts I'd know it was inspired by Frazetta right away.
|Tch0rT| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:58 AM   #365
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01629.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	109364Here is a close up of the Frazetta painting (well my print of it anyway) and a close up of my CS Moore professionally painted by Alex Castro and my ARH professionally painted by Hanna Meyers. I don't know man, when you look at the painting obviously some interpretation is necessary.

For some reason my CS Moore is photographing like she has seen the "Ring" video and has only 7 days to live even with 2 shots at her, but you get what I mean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01631.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	109363   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01630.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	109365   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01632.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	109366  
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #366
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriegsfuerst View Post

Here's the art for Ghoul Queen, it is a beautiful face but take a close look, the main defining feature is the eyes, then maybe the full plump lips. The hair, the headress. The very small nose. I don't think there is a great deal of detail in the actual shape and dimension of the head itself. Just a very quick rough idea of an outline with a pronounced round chin. All the other information about what this woman's head and face looks like is purely left open to us to interpret.

I think one of the most defining features of Ghoul Queen is the eye makeup and the eyebrows, the way they are shaped. Which of course has more to do with the painting than the sculpt. My point is what exactly does this face look like in 3D, it doesn't appear to be objective.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ghoul-queen-23.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	109370  
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #367
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Attachment 109364Here is a close up of the Frazetta painting (well my print of it anyway) and a close up of my CS Moore professionally painted by Alex Castro and my ARH professionally painted by Hanna Meyers. I don't know man, when you look at the painting obviously some interpretation is necessary.

For some reason my CS Moore is photographing like she has seen the "Ring" video and has only 7 days to live even with 2 shots at her, but you get what I mean
Yup.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #368
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Just curious has anyone seen or does anyone know of expected release/ship date? I think I had heard like 6 months or so from order but it could be that from sell out date?
Old 01-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #369
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

So any news? Catwoman release date or Fighting Man of Mars potential order date or any of the others? Jonesing for a Frazetta fix
Old 01-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #370
omigeo
Alpha Flight

All here
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote