Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #3491
MASTERSAFARA
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
I don’t care how anyone feels about it but Psylocke X-Force with psyblade is a grail
Honestly Peedi I think most people would rather take the prototype head from the xforce variant and put it on the ex. But yes I agree the xforce variant is very nice especially in person.
MASTERSAFARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #3492
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post
Ya 3K for XM storm is nutts, i thought about if the SS Storm is lame or something wrong with it, maybe i'd think about picking it up if i could get it around $1800-$2000.

But at $3K i'd prefer to go without Storm, that is just to much for one piece, even if i do love it her character and the statue. I think XM was to new at the time or else that Storm would have had a higher ES.
XM wasn’t new, what was new with Storm was their Made To Order system at the time. Storm was one of the first (if not the first?) statues produced under their Made To Order system. For whatever reasons people didn’t take heed to the new system and Storm didn’t get a ton of orders. So now it’s a coveted/sought after piece due to the low ES, people’s desire for Storm in this costume to match their other 90s X-Men statues, lack of other options, the fact it turned out so dang well. Also, huge selling point for me, she has a nice body but she has a really nice butt.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #3493
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERSAFARA View Post
Just looked it up. 2 sold in May. One was listed at 3999 and the best offer was accepted, however that price is not disclosed. And the other sold for 2200.
FYI... my first 2 auctions also showed up as sold/ completed even though both buyers backed out eventually.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #3494
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
People should just say "at least the XM is a better investment". We all know that's what is meant. I'm with you that hearing "collectible" is a bit grating.

Just admit it's about resale value. There's nothing wrong with being worried about after market value. I used to give people crap about that, but I've changed my stance seeing as how there's so much product being made now and it's all really expensive. I don't care simply because I was lucky to get most of my collection when PFs were $300, but if I were starting now or buying as much as I used to, ES would be a factor in my decisions. It's too hard to ignore.

If Sideshow does put out a really nice Storm, more than a few people will cash out their XM to buy the SS piece and pocket a giant chunk of change. A lot of what's driving the price is a lack of alternatives. The PF Sideshow did years ago doesn't hold up very well.
That might be part of it or all of it for some collectors but there is a certain coolness about owning something rare and popular...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #3495
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
That might be part of it or all of it for some collectors but there is a certain coolness about owning something rare and popular...
Yes King of the Nerds lol
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #3496
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
*Iron Studios looks around sheepishly*

Since they have a business relationship, I wonder if IS got Sideshow's blessing before going ahead with this 1/10 version.
Iron Studio has the 1/10 scale license, so they wouldn't need any blessing from Sideshow... Nowadays Sideshow is selling pretty much everything even if they don't make it... They're starting to become like BBTS
Old 08-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #3497
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Yes King of the Nerds lol
Old 08-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #3498
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Iron Studio has the 1/10 scale license, so they wouldn't need any blessing from Sideshow.
Whoops, not sure why I asked that...if they were ripping off anyone, it was XM, not SS...nevermind
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #3499
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Whoops, not sure why I asked that...if they were ripping off anyone, it was XM, not SS...nevermind
It's similar but different enough that I doubt XM would have any issue with it...
Old 08-05-2020, 05:48 PM   #3500
COI

Quote:
It's not rare, it's just expensive. If you're willing to spend the money, you will always find someone willing to part with theirs. The "status" is in the higher price tag.

Maybe I'm just jaded, but "rare" is misused like "grail". None of this stuff is rare, it's artificial scarcity. Edition sizes are based on what these companies think the market will bear, because they don't want to be left with unsold product. As small as the edition size is, this is a small hobby.

Maybe 20 years from now, you could say finding a piece undamaged or still factory sealed is rare. Right now, if you're willing to pay top market, you can shake a mint one loose from someone's hands within a week
COI is offline   Reply With Quote