Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #5031
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I wasn't there for this one, but an AFTRA screening of "Sucker Punch" had a mixed bag of reviews.. but quite a few of them were positive.

I'm not familiar with the comic (it's based off of a comic, right?) but it seems like half the people who review movies like this, and do so with a negative slant, don't realize that its storyboards usually originate off of a previously-printed work.

Should be a fun ride.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #5032
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
I wasn't there for this one, but an AFTRA screening of "Sucker Punch" had a mixed bag of reviews.. but quite a few of them were positive.

I'm not familiar with the comic (it's based off of a comic, right?) but it seems like half the people who review movies like this, and do so with a negative slant, don't realize that its storyboards usually originate off of a previously-printed work.

Should be a fun ride.
I believe the concept is original and not based off a comic book.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #5033
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I hope to see SP on Friday. I got my Art of book today.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #5034
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I believe the concept is original and not based off a comic book.
Oh... nice.

Meh.. I could care less about reviews, overall.... "Battle for L.A." was butchered on Rotten Tomatoes, and myself and most of you enjoyed it thoroughly. Use your best judgment goin' in.. and swallow the wasted time if the movie's deuce.

Just goes to show... "you can lead a man to the cinema, but you can't force him to cut a hole in the bottom of his popcorn bucket so that his lady has a 'popcorn surprise' when she reaches her hand in for a quick gobble."

- Confucius
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #5035
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
You'll love it, I'm positive.

Concerning The 13th Warrior I remember thinking after first seeing this that Vladimir Kulich (Builwyf) would have made a perfect Thor and Dennis Storhoi (Herger) a perfect Fandral.

That would have been excellent casting
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #5036
Bods
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Bound 10/10
a VHS->BD upgrade, huge difference still the best (& most unique) film of Andy & Larry W.
Bods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #5037
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post

Should be a fun ride.
I never bother with the 'professional' reviews of comic book adaptations, sci-fi, or anything in this type of genre. Seems to me most critics either don't understand these type of movies or just don't like them. Battle LA is a case in point. I loved it, but I can understand some of the critisims I've read here, but ALL of the reviews I read here in Oz (in the papers) gave it a 2 or 3 out of 10, complaining it was too big and loud or too much marine gung-ho What the hell did they think they were going to see. One reviewer even criticised the movie for attempting to flesh out the characters with a bit of back story ??? Reminds me of the old expression . . . "Those who can do, . . . those who can't, spend their time critisizing those who can"
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #5038
randy_marsh
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
I never bother with the 'professional' reviews of comic book adaptations, sci-fi, or anything in this type of genre. Seems to me most critics either don't understand these type of movies or just don't like them. Battle LA is a case in point. I loved it, but I can understand some of the critisims I've read here, but ALL of the reviews I read here in Oz (in the papers) gave it a 2 or 3 out of 10, complaining it was too big and loud or too much marine gung-ho What the hell did they think they were going to see. One reviewer even criticised the movie for attempting to flesh out the characters with a bit of back story ??? Reminds me of the old expression . . . "Those who can do, . . . those who can't, spend their time critisizing those who can"
BRAVO! Remember the critics can miss, Bladerunner wasen't to well received by them when it came out. The going to see a movie then complaining it's too loud just seems stupid imo. I'm not saying sucker punch will be the best movie of the year, but it should be a good way to pass 2 hours and be fairly entertained by attractive ladies and action.
randy_marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #5039
ottorino
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
Im with you Nick on this one , most movies critics pan i love.
ottorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 AM   #5040
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut - 7/10

Before seeing this Director's Cut I had only viewed this film once and didn't care for it. While the cinematography was incredible I remember it being very hard to follow, slowly paced and full of underdeveloped characters but most of all the film lacked a cohesive flow. Seeing as how Ridley Scott is one of my favorite Director's I decided to give the film another chance with this cut. I'm glad I did. The extra 46 minutes fixed most if not all of the issues I had with the theatrical cut and I really enjoyed it this time around. I was amazed at how little I had retained from my initial viewing. It was like an entirely different movie.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote