Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 02-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #51
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

With regards to the saying "chink in the armour", I've always associated that with a weakness in ones armour. Never as a remark towards the Chinese people. The first word yes. But not when used in the full sentence. I guess it really depends on what part of the world you live in.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #52
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
With regards to the saying "chink in the armour", I've always associated that with a weakness in ones armour.
That's exactly what it means. The saying's been around since before World War 2, when I know it was both used and documented; any other picture, it would've been fine.. but because of Lin's nationality, it was a VERY poor choice of expression to use in this case. Obviously.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #53
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I guessed that. But unless the journalist actually meant it was it really necessary for him/her to lose their job? Wouldn't a simple apology "Poor choice of phrase nothing racial was meant".
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #54
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
I guessed that. But unless the journalist actually meant it was it really necessary for him/her to lose their job? Wouldn't a simple apology "Poor choice of phrase nothing racial was meant".
Like I said initially, a slap on the wrist was bound to happen; Firing someone, especially when the error was rectified so quickly (it was, I believe.. though "quickly" is still too slow on the internet) might be a bit too harsh, but ESPN looks out for their Empire first.

I'm with you though, Rob; I think a suspension or a public apology (coupled with some sort of reprimand short of termination) via their channel would've sufficed.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #55
StatueBandit
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Exactly bulls mistakes happen all day everyday its part of life the important thing is that the person takes responsibility for there actions and makes every attempt to make it better ... action speak louder then words
StatueBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #56
TK-421
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

"Lin also said he had no hard feelings over a corporate NBA partner website using an apparent ethnic slur in a headline early Saturday. He said he accepted the apology, and believed that there was no ill intent."

Quoted from an article on Yahoo
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #57
bigjohn550
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
"Lin also said he had no hard feelings over a corporate NBA partner website using an apparent ethnic slur in a headline early Saturday. He said he accepted the apology, and believed that there was no ill intent."

Quoted from an article on Yahoo
Thumbs up to him for sure. I agree the headline should have been worded differentally, but damn, I hate the playground mentality in the world now.
bigjohn550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 AM   #58
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
now who among you does not consider that to be overreacting?

unless you can prove slanderous intent....there is no reason why someone shoudl be out of a job over that...given that it is a commonly used phrase and there is a chance that the writer didnt put 2 and 2 together. ( I am going to assume that there wasnt an editor that looked at this...as there rarely is for online stuff. As Rily mentioned online reporting standards are pretty darn low)

A Personal apology from the writer should have been the next step to humanize the situation.
I don't. The fact that so many people in this thread thought that it was a funny headline leads me to believe that they believe using a racial slur against Asians is funny but one against blacks and Hispanics is a huge offense.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #59
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I don't. The fact that so many people in this thread thought that it was a funny headline leads me to believe that they believe using a racial slur against Asians is funny but one against blacks and Hispanics is a huge offense.
well until we can laugh at all racial slurs can we ever truely have equality...or something. fact is everybody needs to grow the hell up, just because you get called a bad name or i suppose these days even think a name somebody might've called you is bad isn't a damn reason to get all up in arms
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #60
bigjohn550
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
well until we can laugh at all racial slurs can we ever truely have equality...or something. fact is everybody needs to grow the hell up, just because you get called a bad name or i suppose these days even think a name somebody might've called you is bad isn't a damn reason to get all up in arms
And the most ironic thing about it is the person this was aimed toward isn't offended at all.
bigjohn550 is offline   Reply With Quote