Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 08-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

DC Cover Girls – Red Lantern Bleez Statue – Statueforum Review

DC Collectibles presents its next Cover Girls statue – The Red Lantern Bleez statue. This delightful piece was sculpted by Karen Palinko. Some of you may remember Palinko's exceptional work on the Alex Ross Superman Forever statue. While Bleez may not be widely known to comics fans, I imagine Green Lantern fans will nonetheless be thrilled to add the Queen of rage to their display of cover girls statues. Incidentally, this is the first Bleez statue ever to be produced by DC. At first glance, this could very well be their most ambitious cover girls project to date.

Bleez first appeared in Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns #1 (Dec 2008). This key issue was written by long time Green Lantern scribe Geoff Jones and pencilled by Shane Davis. Her powers and abilities include flight, magic, seduction, a red lantern ring, and an uncontrollable rage.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 08-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 08-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 08-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

DC Collectibles Cover Girls – Red Lantern Bleez Statue – Statueforum Review

This remarkable piece was sculpted by super talented Karen Palinko. Clearly, this is a sculptor who should be getting more work. As noted earlier, some of you may remember Palinko's exceptional work on the Alex Ross Superman Forever statue. She’s an amazing artist. The Bleez statue was based on the exquisite designs of Stanley Artgerm Lau.

Bleez is 12 inches tall, which actually makes her the tallest cover girls statue ever produced. As I own 20 Cover Girls pieces, I found myself asking if the scale was a bit larger than usual. Thankfully, even if a bit larger than the others, it displays remarkably well. Perhaps worth noting, the piece weighs at most between one and two pounds. It is extremely light. Although limited to 5200, I doubt all 5200 were actually produced. The scuttlebutt on this piece has been very quiet so far, which makes me wonder how many fans purchased this piece (or were familiar with the character). However, I suspect that as more fans get to see and appreciate the stunning craftsmanship of this gorgeous piece, I imagine more people will likely order it.

This statue retails at $99.99 and began shipping out to fans on August 17, 2015.

------
Sculpture: Karen Palinko did a fabulous job capturing the seductive and potentially self-destructive essence of the captivating Bleez, a rage-filled member of the Red Lantern Corps. This is a magnificent piece as it exudes the character’s audacity, fearlessness and perhaps most importantly, a mesmerizing ambiguity which makes one wonder if she’s a hero or villain. While I admit to not being very familiar with the character, I do find myself curious to learn more.

This isn’t your standard museum pose piece. There’s a dynamic feel to it which gives it a more ominous presence. Frankly, there’s just so much to see, i.e., the aura of seduction, the glamor of fear. The bones protruding out from her back are actually the skeletal remnants of her burnt wings. It looks absolutely amazing. In my opinion, this is one of more impressive cover girls pieces to date.

The statue comes in 2 pieces: The full Bleez body piece and the base.

Rating - 9/10
------

Paint/Mixed Media: The paint applications on the cold cast porcelain are very nicely done. The blue skin and choice of metallic red crimson for the costume really seems to pop. It contrasts well when displayed next to other Cover Girls statues. While you might notice the odd paint imperfection here and there, I can’t see many fans making a big deal out of it, especially given the $100 price tag. However, to be fair, it isn't the most challenging of paint jobs either.

Incidentally, the eyes appear to be decals. While I’m not typically a fan of that, given the yellowish hue to Bleez’s eyes, it might have been too risky or time consuming to try and paint that tiny area.

Rating - 7.5/10
------

Production and build quality: This is a very light piece. While the piece was easy to assemble, it feels quite fragile. As the piece largely relies on one peg located beneath her right foot to stay in place, I sure hope we do not see leaning issues begin to develop over time. Thankfully, the piece seems sold enough. The left foot rests on a part of the base. Hopefully that will help keep things in place in the long term. However, given the choice, I typically prefer a heavier piece and more sturdy fit on a base.

Rating - 7/10
------

Design: Overall, I think this piece is a success and will serve as the benchmark for the next Bleez to be produced. It’s definitely worth the money and display space. My only misgiving here, although a personal one, is that I wish I was more familiar with the character so I could have been in a better position to appreciate the incredible work put into sculpting this stellar piece.

Rating - 9/10
------

Overall - 8.1/10

Pics taken with the Nikon D5300 with 18-140mm lens
Old 08-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 08-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
ruzzell
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Great review !
ruzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
dechirico7
The Flash

The paint looks awesome. I am wondering if I should get into this line. It seems to be strong.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote