Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #301
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I don't get butt hurt, I just refuse to consume every single product anymore like I used to. Discerning. If others enjoy, great enjoy. I'll wait for something I can enjoy too. But don't assume some fragile butt hurt condition every time someone rejects. The Cassian Andor series sounds interesting since Rogue One I deeply appreciated.
I'm waiting for this new trilogy to peter out and see where they go next.
Yep, again.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #302
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I don't get butt hurt, I just refuse to consume every single product anymore like I used to. Discerning. If others enjoy, great enjoy. I'll wait for something I can enjoy too. But don't assume some fragile butt hurt condition every time someone rejects.
I don’t. If you, or anyone for that matter, didn’t like TLJ I have no problem with it. Your opinion is your own and I have no interest in debating the merits of the film in an attempt to change it like others do. That said my opinion is also my own and I didn’t have to perform any “mental gymnastics” to form it. The “butt hurt” comment is a generalized statement directed squarely at the angst-ridden, rage filled comments against Luke’s arc. Which seems to be the main bone of contention with the film.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #303
built2shred
Phoenix

You know a movie is going to be bad when they start it off with a variation of "Can you hear me know" joke.... That was so cringe worthy and cheesy..... And then Rian follows that up with the conclusion of the first Film where Rey hands Luke the saber, just to have Luke throw it over his shoulder and walk away pouting... Rian thought he was being so clever and funny.... I know my first thoughts were "this is stupid"

The special effects looked good and there was lots of action.... They kind of disguised that there wasn't much of a story... and the little bit of story they did have was mostly made up of "WTF is Rian Johnson thinking" moments...

but each to their own..... not everyone is going to have good taste in movies like me

I ked I ked...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #304
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
You know a movie is going to be bad when they start it off with a variation of "Can you hear me know" joke.... That was so cringe worthy and cheesy..... And then Rian follows that up with the conclusion of the first Film where Rey hands Luke the saber, just to have Luke throw it over his shoulder and walk away pouting... Rian thought he was being so clever and funny.... I know my first thoughts were "this is stupid"

The special effects looked good and there was lots of action.... They kind of disguised that there wasn't much of a story... and the little bit of story they did have was mostly made up of "WTF is Rian Johnson thinking" moments...

but each to their own..... not everyone is going to have good taste in movies like me

I ked I ked...

Careful, I can sense your butt hurting!
Old 11-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #305
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by off View Post
Careful, I can sense your butt hurting!
Not as much as yours.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #306
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
You know a movie is going to be bad when they start it off with a variation of "Can you hear me know" joke.... That was so cringe worthy and cheesy..... And then Rian follows that up with the conclusion of the first Film where Rey hands Luke the saber, just to have Luke throw it over his shoulder and walk away pouting... Rian thought he was being so clever and funny.... I know my first thoughts were "this is stupid".
I agree i was immediately put off with his bizarre attempt at humor
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #307
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
Not as much as yours.
Zing!

You hurt me almost as much as Tickle Me Elmo Luke or shirtless Kylo Ren.

Almost!.

Bwhahahahaha
Old 11-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #308
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
I agree i was immediately put off with his bizarre attempt at humor
The entire travesty of a movie was a bizarre attempt at humor.

SAD!
Old 11-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #309
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

I disliked TLJ as much as most of the rest of the fanbase, but lets not turn this into a TLJ bash thread or it will get locked like the others haha

im kind of in a weird spot because I have nostalgia for both trilogies, I never saw the original trilogy until it was re-released in theatres in 1997 (I was 12) after that I went into star wars craze, I bought the re-release VHS movies and watched them about a million times each. During that time I was getting hyped for Episode 1, i'd bike ride with my best friend to blockbuster and buy episode 1 trading cards lol we both got really hyped seeing maul, qui gon, obi wan, yoda etc on the trading cards, and that hype carried over to the movie. I was 14 when TPM came out and at that age jar jar did annoy me a bit but I didnt let it distract me from all the other positives of the movie (Ironically I accept jar jar more now than when I was a kid lol) Duel of the fates is still my favorite star wars song, and favorite light saber battle. So I guess I grew up with the OT and the PT equally which is why I love them both.

I dislike the disney trilogy movies because they do nothing to expand the lore, they have no world building, no interesting new characters, no awesome new music, no bad ass sith or jedi or lightsaber fights (to me star wars is sith and jedi) if anything TFA and TLF detract from the PT and OT which makes me resent them even more. I loved Rogue One, but I did not like Solo at all, I saw it once and forgot about it, not the sign of a good star wars movie.

Im not sure if this makes sense but I think disney went the direction they did with TFA and TLJ because of the hate the prequels got, I think they interpreted that as people not wanting to see so many jedi and lightsabres, so to harken back to the OT they did the 'rebellion/resistance' thing again, they didnt show a new jedi order, and had next to no light saber action. To me that was a huge mistake, jedi and sith have always been the best part of star wars to me, much more than the rebellion and resistance, but maybe im in the minority there I dont really know. The PT gets a lot of hate and much of it I think is undeserved, the explosion of lore and world building that came between the PT movies is insane and even surpasses the OT I think
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #310
built2shred
Phoenix

I think the only reason the prequels gets the dislike that it does was because Lucas was so involved in doing 100% Digital movie with all the CGI he didn't put much effort into dialogue and directing the actors, so all the acting came off so stiff and emotionless, the only time we saw some real acting was Revenge of the Sith and I'm pretty sure that was only because Spielberg got involved to help Lucas out..

Also keep in mind that Lucas at the time just went through a really bad divorce and originaly he wanted Spielberg, Ron Howard and I believe Robert Zemeckis to direct the movies but they thought he should direct them himself to take his mind off his divorce...

That's to bad because if those 3 would of directed the movies I think we would of had a lot better prequels... That said, I can still watch the prequels every now and then and enjoy them and even though I've watch TFA about 6 times, I couldn't sit through a 2nd screening of TLJ.... after about 20 mins into it I had to turn it off...

In the end All the prequels made major moulah… so it's hard to argue with numbers and the same can be said with TLJ with it's 1.3 billion in revenue. But given about half the fan base is mad about TLJ it will be interesting to see how much Episode 9 makes, if it's a big dropoff from TLJ then I expect to see a shakeup at LucasFilms… And even though JJ Abrams can make good movies Rian has really dug him a hole with the story... Because right now most fans could careless about the characters or what happens next... Unlike TFA ending where everyone was curious to see what Luke was going to do in TLJ (which we now know was nothing but pout the whole movie)
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote