Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #11
strife87
Spider-Ham

Similar feelings here. I just received in hand the last pieces I had on order a few weeks ago and haven't pre ordered anything since Dec. 2016. I've picked up a couple pieces here and there on eBay for less than retail but I really haven't wanted to jump on much due to prices. Been more difficult the last few years when I see that 5-800 tag when my modest budget could be spent as well doing things around the house or with my growing family.

Still love the art and hanging out on the forum window shopping and chatting but it's not very often I'll purchase anymore.

Edit: date mistake correction.
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #12
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I think I am just about done with statues. It was fun while it lasted but it is too expensive of a hobby for me. I love them, and I'm sure everyone says it, but it is time for now to sell what I have and focus on other stuff. Living in Canada has proved to be especially tough. For example a "cheaper" Sideshow statue is 599. Right off the top that is about $765 Cdn. After taxes, shipping, customs fees, it is easily $1k. For a cheaper statue. I'm looking at what else I can do with that money like get myself a 4k TV or a PS4 or hell, a new coffee maker or microwave or any number of things I keep putting off that would actually probably bring me more happiness than my collection does recently.

Hopefully I can come back when either I make more money or prices have calmed down due to over inflation.

I will still be waiting for #SideshowSurfer2019 though.

Anyone else successfully get out? And is for some reason still posting here?
2nd attempt? You have some expensive pieces. Sell one of them. You could get at least a 55" and a SS microwave with change left over. Just wait til u start having kids. Just had #2 last week! I've slowed down big time but the sickness still lingers.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #13
KELPIE
New Republic

I only buy things I really like and know I'll keep.

That used to be easy and cheap for me. But with all these companies now making G1 TF's it's starting to take it's toll.

That said, I know I have an expiry date, so I'm happy to spend up while I can.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:16 PM   #14
adee
Green Arrow

I’ve been there MrJones. I look around the room and see all the money I’ve spent and think about getting rid of it all sometimes but I’ve always been a collector of something and if it’s not statues it’s comics if not comics it’s prints or figures. I’m sure the day will come when I call it quits. I’ve told my wife some day we’ll go back to Hawaii when I sell it all

You can’t leave till we get our Surfer!
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #15
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post

As far as alternatives, if someone replaced a $1,500 TV every year we'd call them nuts but we throw the same cash on statues that literally do nothing every single year.
That’s a good point you make there brother, but at the same time, for some of us, these statues that we collect are true works of art. And just like art is supposed to do, they do something for our souls. Years later I still have trouble looking away from my Bowen Captain America or my Mark Newman Captain Britain. TVs can’t do that for me.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:35 PM   #16
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
You are 100% correct. I only started collecting about 5 years ago because they were too much money. Then my wife (girlfriend at the time) bought me a few for Christmas. Then I bought a couple Bowens for like $300. Then $500 on a Sideshow Then $800 on a Sideshow (both in hand at a comic store). Now IF comic stores even carry them in my area they are all $1k minimum. And like you said, a not so much younger version of myself would have slapped me for spending 2k on the Thanos. So I'm calling it quits. Prices are only going up because people keep buying them. I'm not blaming them at all either, it's just simply a hobby that has gotten too expensive. And being a passive participant really isn't as much fun. Knowing that I just won't be buying more statues makes me like the ones I have less. Weird right? Knowing I won't be getting new ones takes the fun out of 50% of the hobby, the anticipation, the pre order, delivery day, opening up the box for the first time, all of that is 50% of the fun if not more.
Not weird at all, it simply means you're burned out and no longer enjoy the hobby. I used to run this joint. Now, I barely have anything, I simply lost interest. I always collected original artwork, and frankly, that was always more appealing due to its unique nature. When statues starting going up in cost, and taking up too much room, I got rid of everything to focus on artwork.

Trust me, you're not going to miss any of it. You'll enjoy having the space back, not feeling like the collection is weighing you down, and you'll have some nice change to do whatever else you want with.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #17
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Yup time to move on to comic art.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:11 AM   #18
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
That’s a good point you make there brother, but at the same time, for some of us, these statues that we collect are true works of art. And just like art is supposed to do, they do something for our souls. Years later I still have trouble looking away from my Bowen Captain America or my Mark Newman Captain Britain. TVs can’t do that for me.
I thought about the art card as I was writing that!

I'm not saying the statues don't have value beyond their practical function or even a significant financial value in relation to their cost. Though as Galactus and Monster point out these are not original pieces of art and art that isn't artificially limited tends to not have so much financial value. For me though I prefer statues by far to comic art and the art that I would desire is so far out of my happy place to pay I'd never reach satisfaction.

It's individual to each person but what I'm getting at is the combined cost of a collection and a collection that to one personally has gotten out of hand.
I mean to get to this point the OP and anyone really has more than 4-5 $600 pieces.
Everyone has art in some form or another in their home not just statue collectors. Not everyone spends $1,500 or whatever may be a significant amount of their spare yearly income obtaining more of it over and over again.

It's about your passion, TVs, statues, whatever that may be, burdening your financial capacity and responsibility.

I will die owning some statues but I hope not as many as I have now.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #19
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I thought about the art card as I was writing that!

I'm not saying the statues don't have value beyond their practical function or even a significant financial value in relation to their cost. Though as Galactus and Monster point out these are not original pieces of art and art that isn't artificially limited tends to not have so much financial value. For me though I prefer statues by far to comic art and the art that I would desire is so far out of my happy place to pay I'd never reach satisfaction.

It's individual to each person but what I'm getting at is the combined cost of a collection and a collection that to one personally has gotten out of hand.
I mean to get to this point the OP and anyone really has more than 4-5 $600 pieces.
Everyone has art in some form or another in their home not just statue collectors. Not everyone spends $1,500 or whatever may be a significant amount of their spare yearly income obtaining more of it over and over again.

It's about your passion, TVs, statues, whatever that may be, burdening your financial capacity.

I will die owning some statues but I hope not as many as I have now.
I see what you mean. To be honest, I have some statues that need a new home. I could never get rid of all of mine, but some are eating some space.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:22 AM   #20
GaryTonge
Kingpin

I've got an end game in sight for myself Jonesy. Once the space I've allocated myself for statues has been filled, I'll only purchase a new statue to replace an older one.

I've already started shifting myself to other hobbies such as omnibuses and prints.

You have to wean yourself off like any addiction.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote