Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-21-2021, 06:14 AM   #201
dao2
Cyclops

Sure resin can be heavy, but PVC can have real leaning problems too, even worse ones really :| Why not do fiberglass? Doesn't look like PVC either though tbh.

Edit: Just checked the SS page and it says fiberglass and resin and not PVC. And while I can usually tell resin vs pvc and I'm not super familiar with fiberglass that doesn't look like fiberglass to me either. Hard to tell from the video, especially without touching it but it looks like abs tbh. Especially the up close pictures. If it truly is fiberglass that is even better then polystone. The weight is not there for sure but still better.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:31 AM   #202
Python
Omega Red

Fiberglass would be preferable to PCV. I have a few of the fiberglass Predator masks and they are fine. Although one fell of the wall and broke so it isn't beyond damage if you aren't careful (or just unlucky) PVC statues are just nasty imo in both looks and feel. Hopefully this is indeed the former so that it doesn't have that cheap look to it in person. I only went on what the guy in the video said. The seams are there regardless sadly, I really dislike seeing them on high end collectibles, seem repair is a basic of model making, you'd go to the effort to remove them if you were building a $5 kit, never mind a $1000 statue.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #203
ambasah
Red Skull

it is about what I expected. Whatever the material, I knew it was going to be very light. I wouldn't be surprised if the GG (at a fraction of the size) weighs more (base aside). That was polystone and very heavy.

what I dislike most about this is the paint. it is too light in colour. the promo pics made him look much darker (which was a good thing).

Regal Robot did a much better job overall. But it is smaller and more than twice the cost. I will get mine repainted and still have $1000 in my pocket.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:30 AM   #204
GaryTonge
Kingpin

It looks nice, but the seams and plastic look turn me off. If it's another piggy bank, I won't be interested. I was waiting for in hand reviews to come out.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #205
Vader
Ghost

looks pretty awesome to me. Hope the edition is even smaller. it's fiberglass. that's why its light. says on the description.. similar to most larger pieces like this. they could have gone with polystone, but they would have had tons of breakages, and it would have a much pricier shipping price.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:07 AM   #206
Halcyon
Loki

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i know a lot of people dont like to have to modify statues (and you shouldnt have to at these prices) but a coat of high shine gloss followed by krylon matte finish would really bring this piece to life
Hi,
I started painting (touch-ups) a little, myself.

Just curious why would you place clear matte over clear gloss? What does it visually add? Do you get close to 'Satin' (half gloss) paint as result?
Or do you cover not all parts of the gloss, so you get patches of both?
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #207
Halcyon
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Looks like this is arriving with customers. Here's a video review. It is large and impressive, sadly it's also apparently plastic with a fair few visible seams (Two of my biggest No no's if so!)
Proto was darker.
This does not have enough freckles and spots either, important detail of the skin texture.
Overall should have had more 'real' detail feel. Nice statue but yes to expensive for this outcome.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #208
Lestat Phoenix
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Fiberglass would be preferable to PCV. I have a few of the fiberglass Predator masks and they are fine. Although one fell of the wall and broke so it isn't beyond damage if you aren't careful (or just unlucky) PVC statues are just nasty imo in both looks and feel. Hopefully this is indeed the former so that it doesn't have that cheap look to it in person. I only went on what the guy in the video said. The seams are there regardless sadly, I really dislike seeing them on high end collectibles, seem repair is a basic of model making, you'd go to the effort to remove them if you were building a $5 kit, never mind a $1000 statue.
1000? I have mine in the cart and it is 1750? Where can I get this for 1000???
Lestat Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:46 PM   #209
Halcyon
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat Phoenix View Post
Where can I get this for 1000???
he just mentioned amount 1000+ as figure of speech.. every statue at that pricepoint should be great/awesome etc..

And this SS300686 is listed at sideshow for 1300usd.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:27 PM   #210
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
looks pretty awesome to me. Hope the edition is even smaller. it's fiberglass. that's why its light. says on the description.. similar to most larger pieces like this. they could have gone with polystone, but they would have had tons of breakages, and it would have a much pricier shipping price.
It says fiberglass in the description but SS may have changed the material.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote