Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 09-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #31
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Hey Dawg, just finished Wolverine and all I can say is "Whoa!" Peope who aren't reading this are missing what seems to be the dirty underbelly of the origins of the entire Civil War conflict. Not only that but it was great to see a Marvel book FINALLY make use of the Flatiron Building in one of their stories. This is architecturally one of the most famous and unique buildings in NYC if not the whole country and I had a huge grin cross my face when I saw it as Damage Control's HQ.
Isn't this story awesome? This is down and dirty wolvie spy/black op work which we hardly ever see in depth.

It's a refreshing change from the whole.. "am I a man or beserker animal grrrr" we see from Wolvie too much.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:46 AM   #32
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59 View Post
some are also projecting it's the PUNISHER Joe... he's the only major player as of yet to be introduced... I want it to be thor but... shouldn't he be bigger?
You're right! And all the Marvel press says The Punisher is about to enter the Civil War fray! There's even a cover I've seen of Punisher kneeling down with Cap standing beside him. Yeah, if it were Thor he'd have to be huge.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:51 AM   #33
bat_collector
Galactus

Can anyone tell me all the villains that are on the last page of civil war:

Jack O Lantern
Venom
Bullseye

who else?
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:37 PM   #34
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

wktf, I still don't understand how you can praise Astonishing when it's NOTHING w/o Morrison's run, which you detest. It's not like Whedon doesn't have any ideas of his own (the dude has created countless universes in his TV shows) so you can't accuse him of just using Morrison's run cause he's lazy. Joss knows what Morrison brought to the table and he's using it cause it's good.
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #35
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Loco, I agree much of what he's been building off is from Morrison and Quitely's work. I just found that work overly self-important and written in an incredibly ponderous way (this from a guy who wrote a senior these on James Joyce's Ulysses, keep in mind) and Quitely's art on X-Men just was terrible (IMHO) vs. what he's now doing in AS Superman or did in JLA, both of which I like very much. Plus I just plain detested what they did to The Beast. Whedon's now got to work with that, I know.

There are people who don't like Stan Lee's writing or Jack Kirby's art but still love what others have done on FF or Thor, for example, since those two left these books. It's all in the execution, at the end of the day.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #36
tomcat
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
Can anyone tell me all the villains that are on the last page of civil war:

Jack O Lantern
Venom
Bullseye

who else?
Lady Deathstrike
Taskmaster
The Jester (I think - wasn't he a Daredevil villian?)
Songbird (probably the leader)
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #37
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Whedon's now got to work with that, I know.
That's where you are wrong. Whedon's doesn't have to do anything with what Morrison did. Just look at the writers AFTER Morrison, they pretty much negated everything Morrison did (I.E. Magneto).
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:49 PM   #38
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

And it's also wrong to simply negate what the prior writer did. Continuity is destroyed that way. So you're saying Whedon could just inexplicably retro mutate the Beast back to what he was before Morrison's run, because other writers did something similar?

OK. I'm wrong.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:17 AM   #39
bat_collector
Galactus

Keith, you forgot abuot Enemy of the State/Agent of Shielf so soon? If wolverine wasn't in top form then, I don't know what.

But I gotta say this has been an enjoyable arc so far. I just read the entire arc so far, and love it. But to me Damage Control is only a small part of the problem.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:04 AM   #40
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

Astonishing Xmen.Huh What did I miss something.Who the Hell is in charge of the Hell Fire Club.Who the Hell is the Young White Queen.Did Kitty pull Doop out of that metal Box.
Tony Coca is offline   Reply With Quote