Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 12-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #741
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I'm sure they could have done more promotion and in hindsight probably should have but they did to the New York comic con and I don't know of a single person who has said "Why didn't I know about this? I would have ordered if I had been aware of them. "

High end statue collecting is a pretty small world, I think we found out the hard way that while there are a lot of Frazetta fans there just aren't that many who are all of the following:

1. Are also Statue collectors
2. Have thousands of dollars of disposable income they are willing to spend on them instead of other statues they may also want
3. Have space available to display this many 1/4 scale statues (DD on a horse requires its own display table really)

Most of the biggest Frazetta fans are in their 50's and 60's now. He was in his heyday in the 1960's and 1970's.

I guess we will see with these other companies that have Frazetta licenses now. Hopefully they do better because I really only collect Frazetta style stuff. They can keep the Iron Mans, the Wolverines, and the Bat Mans as far as I'm concerned. I have no interest at all.
You'd be surprised how many fans he has that are younger than 50-60. Frazetta had a bit of a resurgence in the 90's due to 1. Verotika Press publishing comics based on his works, 2. the fantasy card collecting sets that were done. Also documentaries like Painting with Fire and documentaries on films like Conan that call attention to his work.

However to your point, Space and Money, yeah that can also kill it.

We'll see what Chronicle and Quarantine do with it, they both have the license as of now.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #742
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
You'd be surprised how many fans he has that are younger than 50-60. Frazetta had a bit of a resurgence in the 90's due to 1. Verotika Press publishing comics based on his works, 2. the fantasy card collecting sets that were done. Also documentaries like Painting with Fire and documentaries on films like Conan that call attention to his work.

However to your point, Space and Money, yeah that can also kill it.

We'll see what Chronicle and Quarantine do with it, they both have the license as of now.
Heads or Tales Coins & Collectibles have a license to do sterling silver statues and coins based on Frazetta's work. I have their huntress. Very unique collectable.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:17 PM   #743
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
Heads or Tales Coins & Collectibles have a license to do sterling silver statues and coins based on Frazetta's work. I have their huntress. Very unique collectable.
I'll have to check that out.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #744
Marcel54
Hellboy

Level52 Studios also has a license http://www.level52studios.com/frazetta-lvl52/
Marcel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #745
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel54 View Post
Level52 Studios also has a license http://www.level52studios.com/frazetta-lvl52/
Looks like they are doing Cat Girl as their first 1:4 scale piece. That's one of my favorite Frazetta paintings and if it's done well I'll certainly pick it up.
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #746
Marcel54
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The13thWarlock View Post
Looks like they are doing Cat Girl as their first 1:4 scale piece. That's one of my favorite Frazetta paintings and if it's done well I'll certainly pick it up.
That will be a big challenge given the painting. I sure hope they will succeed.
Marcel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #747
Wombat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I think there are many Frazetta fans younger than 50-60. Myself included.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:35 PM   #748
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
I think there are many Frazetta fans younger than 50-60. Myself included.
Yeah, is say his fan base easily reaches into people in their mid to late 30s. Much younger than that, I don't know...
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:23 AM   #749
Kriegsfuerst
A day without sunshine is like... night.

"In dubio pro reo"

I just don't see the point to give this company the benefit of the doubt anymore.
It's more than 2 years ago since they pronounced their acquiring ot the Frazetta licence and it's been obviously proven that ARH did everything wrong what could have done wrong. The company was too small and not properly prepared to handle the Frazetta franchise.
But bad sculpting played in my opinion a curcial factor for their demise.

Barbarian: absolutely non-Frazetta-like female face
DD3: ridiculous, unproportional helmet
DD1: horse's neck way too short
Atlantis: legs out of proportion
Huntress: too animé

You may call it nitpicking on a high level. At least with the DD1 I would agree. The horse being out of proportion is such a unimportant detail and doesn't change the epic impression of the whole statue itself. The DD1 is my personal statue highlight of 2016. After all my criticism here, I should also state, that I purchased almost all of their Frazetta line. I just wished they would have done a better job both in sculpting and painting.
Kriegsfuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #750
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

DD1 was not perfect but pretty damn cool...disagree about DD3 helmet, it was pretty tight to the painting in my eyes.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote