Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 01-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #91
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
That's exactly what they should do. Makes too much sense though, oh well...and yeah, I've heard that Batwoman is good. My opinion? If they can write a good female, street level superhero, then they don't NEED to put a Bat-logo on her chest. If that comic is good then it will sell based on her own merit. The "Bat" belongs to Batman. I can understand having Nightwing and Barbara Gordon, but that should be the limit. They've gotten really out of hand with Batwing, a copy of a copy of Batman.
I understand your feelings, though in today's business climate, how many "new"/unaffiliated characters are given a chance to find an audience before being canceled? Even established characters are being canceled (eg Guardians of the Galaxy).

I do feel that Batman would benefit from having one comics title devoted solely to him in a sleuthing capacity. No other DC heroes should appear other than Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, and maybe Leslie Thompkins. (This title should have limited supernatural elements as well.)
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #92
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I do feel that Batman would benefit from having one comics title devoted solely to him in a sleuthing capacity. No other DC heroes should appear other than Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, and maybe Leslie Thompkins. (This title should have limited supernatural elements as well.)
+1

That's Batman at his best as far as I'm concerned.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:21 AM   #93
Vermis
Frackin!

I don't think I can point out many individual instances that made me give up superhero comics. As a Marvel Zombie, it was a combination of the rise of interminable events (They just stank of forced consumerism, so I didn't read them - but that was the problem. There wasn't much besides.) and writers seemingly developing a tin ear. Righteous heroes became self-righteous, if that makes sense. People spoke and acted in strange, unrealistic ways. Bendis-speak was on the rise. Individual titles became less and less interesting to me, so I dropped them. My pull list didn't go out with a bang, but a whimper.

One thing did finally clinch it. Going by posts in this thread from 5 years ago, you'll think I'm nuts, but it was the depowering of the Red Hulk.

Loeb's Red Hulk? I ignored that for the most part. But Parker's Red Hulk, after the World War Hulks hoo-ha, after his capture, was excellent. Some of the best comics Marvel was putting out at the time, and something that shouldn't be ignored because of his debut. (There are no bad characters, just bad wtiters) Having figuratively lost his life, Ross has to reevaluate it and his place in the world. Jeff Parker handled it greatly.

So Red Hulk comics were the last superhero comics I bought. I knew he'd be depowered soon enough, but I thought they could have gone about it better. In Thunderbolts vol 2, Daniel Way butchered any kind of rehabilitation Parker gave Rulk. (When you have freakin' Elektra and Frank Castle whispering between themselves about what an eebil murderer Ross is... that felt like a betrayal) The Doc Green arc in The Incredible Hulk was horribly clunky anyway, but when it not only depowered Ross, but wiped away any last trace of the heel-face turn, and Steve Rogers' approval... it just added more reasons to the perfect point to quit.
Vermis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #94
Y3E
Gen 13

- When everything was about mutants.
- When Image was created because all their characters were just ripoffs of X-men/mutants
- One More Day
- Basically everything 90s and subsequent. All the stories became darker (although some really good stories)
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote