Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Mission: Impossible 5

Looks like Christopher McQuarrie is officially set to direct M:I5.

http://collider.com/christopher-mcqu...-impossible-5/

I think he is a solid choice. Jack Reacher was a decent crime thriller but I much prefer his work on The Way of the Gun. Glad to see the franchise continuing to be a showcase for talented Director's.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Luminous
Cyclops

Seems like a solid choice.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I haven't seen Jack Reacher yet. But I'm not expecting much from the director on M:I as any director won't mean much as Cruise has too much power to get a true Mission: Impossible movie. It will be the same sort of movie until Cruise gets too old for the series. But even then he'll probably want to take on a Phelps role.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Looks like Christopher McQuarrie is officially set to direct M:I5.

http://collider.com/christopher-mcqu...-impossible-5/

I think he is a solid choice. Jack Reacher was a decent crime thriller but I much prefer his work on The Way of the Gun. Glad to see the franchise continuing to be a showcase for talented Director's.
Sure, if you discount the fact that the lead actor was in no way, shape or form even close to resembling the character from the novels. Worse casting than Ahnold as Mr. Freeze.

Also, the MI movies have worn out their appeal, IMO. Cruise jumps off something tall, a hot chick gets out of a car in slow motion, the team gets disavowed, something blows up, Ethan and the gang get their jobs back. How many times can you do that and maintain any interest?
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKni9hT View Post
Sure, if you discount the fact that the lead actor was in no way, shape or form even close to resembling the character from the novels. Worse casting than Ahnold as Mr. Freeze.

Also, the MI movies have worn out their appeal, IMO. Cruise jumps off something tall, a hot chick gets out of a car in slow motion, the team gets disavowed, something blows up, Ethan and the gang get their jobs back. How many times can you do that and maintain any interest?
Well all that may be true, but like I said it was a decent movie. I judge films on their own merit, not on how well it was adapted from a book or series of books as it's pretty much a certainty there will be compromises between the two formats. Beyond the casting of Cruise as the title character (who I actually liked as Reacher) I thought it was entertaining and more to my point well directed.

Well, I still enjoy the M:I films and judging by the box office success of Ghost Protocol I'd say the appeal certainly hasn't worn off. That being said I would like to see a bit more creative liberties being taken with the format. While I enjoyed Ghost Protocol I didn't share the opinion that it was the high point for the franchise as many others did.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
PureInvasion

Quote:
Well all that may be true, but like I said it was a decent movie. I judge films on their own merit, not on how well it was adapted from a book or series of books as it's pretty much a certainty there will be compromises between the two formats. Beyond the casting of Cruise as the title character (who I actually liked as Reacher) I thought it was entertaining and more to my point well directed.

Well, I still enjoy the M:I films and judging by the box office success of Ghost Protocol I'd say the appeal certainly hasn't worn off. That being said I would like to see a bit more creative liberties being taken with the format. While I enjoyed Ghost Protocol I didn't share the opinion that it was the high point for the franchise as many others did.
which MI did you consider to be the top? I thought the first 3 were all snore fests and only GP was the only MI that I've actually desired to watch twice
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
which MI did you consider to be the top? I thought the first 3 were all snore fests and only GP was the only MI that I've actually desired to watch twice
I actually like Mission:Impossible III the best. I've enjoyed all of them though.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
PureInvasion

Quote:
I actually like Mission:Impossible III the best. I've enjoyed all of them though.
I put MI3 right behind GP for myself. Its definitely far above 1 & 2 in terms of overall quality

I think the biggest problem with these movies is that they dragged on too much (which is exactly why i can't stand the original). I know most of them clocked in right around the 2hr mark but they often felt way longer when actually viewed
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:

Quote:
It sometimes scares me how much we think alike.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
It sometimes scares me how much we think alike.
I feel the same way. I sometimes refrain from posting my opinion after Scott has for fear of being labeled a Hellboy fanboy!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote