Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Chronicle Collectibles

Old 04-23-2022, 10:08 PM   #881
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

I find signatures to be mostly a highly personal thing. They only mean something to me if I was the one to meet them and have them sign. So 'value' is fairly inconsequential to me.

That aside, I think most authorities (like CGC) consider autographed items to almost be a separate product, with it's value independent of a non-signed item. This makes sense as not everyone values signatures, or people may simply prefer a 'clean' collectible.

Being that the stuff we collect here is already produced in fairly small amounts, I'd imagine a signature would only increase it's value though, as it's then a smaller subset of an already small edition size. Basically equivalent to artist proofs, in this industry.

All that said... I see less value in having Weller sign Cain and ED, unless you were planning to seek out Tippett's, and/or Tom Noonan's as well.

I just got the limited edition RoboCop 4K steelbook delivered today. I'd have him sign something like that, although if it was the standard bluray clamshell, he could sign the plastic cover, and if I changed my mind I could just swap the case out, and no one would be the wiser. lol

If you do end up having him sign the bust base, I think off to the right side of the RoboCop plaque would look ok, or sideways, above the Fred Barton signature on the rear.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:43 PM   #882
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I find signatures to be mostly a highly personal thing. They only mean something to me if I was the one to meet them and have them sign. So 'value' is fairly inconsequential to me.

That aside, I think most authorities (like CGC) consider autographed items to almost be a separate product, with it's value independent of a non-signed item. This makes sense as not everyone values signatures, or people may simply prefer a 'clean' collectible.

Being that the stuff we collect here is already produced in fairly small amounts, I'd imagine a signature would only increase it's value though, as it's then a smaller subset of a small edition size. Basically equivalent to artist proofs, in this industry.

All that said... I see less value in having Weller sign Cain and ED, unless you were planning to seek out Tippett's, and/or Tom Noonan's as well.

I just got the limited edition RoboCop 4K steelbook delivered today. I'd have him sign something like that, although if it was the standard bluray clamshell, he could sign the plastic cover, and if I changed my mind I could just swap the case out, and no one would be the wiser. lol

If you do end up having him sign the bust base, I think off to the right side of the RoboCop plaque would look ok, or sideways, above the Fred Barton signature on the rear.
Chronicle maquettes are already hand signed by Tippett(the plaques anyway), so I really think Peter's sig is not needed on them. Now, a Weller/Robocop statue or a bust then yes, but I don't see it adding much for the other 2. Honestly I see it as a distraction from the piece itself unless it is done really right like you said(size/location/color of sig matters). I would just get a signed pic with him instead then put that with the pieces(and that will probably be cheaper too)
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:50 PM   #883
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Chronicle maquettes are already hand signed by Tippett(the plaques anyway), so I really think Peter's sig is not needed on them. Now, a Weller/Robocop statue or a bust then yes, but I don't see it adding much for the other 2. Honestly I see it as a distraction from the piece itself unless it is done really right like you said(size/location/color of sig matters). I would just get a signed pic with him instead then put that with the pieces(and that will probably be cheaper too)
Thanks, I did not know - I didn't end up buying Chronicle's.

In that case, I think adding Weller's would be ok... but yeah, I default to preferring 'no' to both of them.
Old 04-23-2022, 11:35 PM   #884
qz33
Rescue

I say do it. Very little downside except to nuts like ourselves. Think about nameplates -hardcore collectors hate them but casuals usually don't see a problem.

In a general market (like pro-auctions for more casual fans) any movie memorabilia's value is increased with signatures.
I'd even argue Weller's signature would be more valued than Tippet's even on the maquettes. Nobody carries the movie more than Weller.

Weller can get touchy on Robo sometimes he loves it others he wonders why it's all anyone talks about his career so I say take the opportunity. And of course no one is getting any younger.
EDIT: Point I'm making here is risk/downside of regretting the signature is far less than missing out.

What about the PCS Robo? Signatures must be on a good place so that is a hard one though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post

So...my question is, i was thinking about having the bases my Chronicle Cain, ED-209 and Fred Barton RoboCop busts all signed by Peter Weller.

what do you guys think? Do you think this will be a mistake, or will it only make the value increase, decrease or have no effect for the Tippett Puippets i was gonna have him sign on the opposite side of the octagon base opposite the Tippett signed plaques, and the bust i was gonna shave him sign the side-back?

I'm looking for input here, do you think this is a good move or a bad move? will it hurt the value, help the value or make no difference in the value? I don't want to pass this opportunity up, but i don't want to make a mistake with this pieces.

Personally, i think Peter Weller signature on each of the pieces will only make them increase in value a pretty good amount. i will take videos and pictures of the signing as verification.

looking forward to hearing my fellow collectors opinions!
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:47 PM   #885
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

thanks for the feedback guys. I think im gonna get the bust signed and hopefully the PCS EX statue base signed. on the black OCP logo, good suggestion about the PCS statue qz.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:33 AM   #886
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

i met Peter Weller this weekend at Chiller Theatre. It was awesome. I go to conventions and chiller all the time but rarely pay to meet and greet the actors. For years, every single time i watch RoboCop i would always say if i ever had the chance to meet him i would do it and get something signed from him. Bucket list item totally completed, and it felt sooooooo great.

I got my Fred Barton Bust signed, My PCS 1:4 EX base signed and a 11" x 14" print of the movie poster art signed. I wanted to buy and have the 8 x 10 of the Robo 2 poster art work of him breaking through the wall signed, but i was out of cash

Thanks again guys for your feedback. It was so cool, meeting Dr. Peter Weller.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:34 PM   #887
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Congrats!

No pics?

Where'd you end up having him sign the bust?
Old 05-02-2022, 07:07 PM   #888
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Congrats!

No pics?

Where'd you end up having him sign the bust?
i tried uploading pics earlier and there was this strange error. the pics in my folder didn't show up to upload. weird.

I had Weller sign on the back of the base, opposite Barton's signature, back right of the bust. going up diagonal-sideways (pretty much exactly what you suggested...it was a good suggestion thats where i was gonna have him sign, but it's cool we had the same idea). That was the best spot. It looks great. I had the statue base signed on the black OCP logo right between his legs.

It was such a win of an event for me. There was a JSA Witness Authenticator two tables away from Weller's table and they Witnessed Authenticated all of my signatures for $10 a pop (a fantastic deal...a show special). gave me the certs, put the stickers on the items put me into the data base with the edition # of my bust and the statue base.

and i too just picked up the 4K UHD-HDR Steelbook and the Limited Edition Box Set from Arrow. They are too gorgeous to pass up. The Steelbook is till available on Barnes and Nobile of all places for people looking for that thing. It's sold out mostly everywhere else, free shipping too. it's selling for almost double on ebay already.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:25 PM   #889
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
i tried uploading pics earlier and there was this strange error. the pics in my folder didn't show up to upload. weird.

I had Weller sign on the back of the base, opposite Barton's signature, back right of the bust. going up diagonal-sideways (pretty much exactly what you suggested...it was a good suggestion thats where i was gonna have him sign, but it's cool we had the same idea). That was the best spot. It looks great. I had the statue base signed on the black OCP logo right between his legs.

It was such a win of an event for me. There was a JSA Witness Authenticator two tables away from Weller's table and they Witnessed Authenticated all of my signatures for $10 a pop (a fantastic deal...a show special). gave me the certs, put the stickers on the items put me into the data base with the edition # of my bust and the statue base.

and i too just picked up the 4K UHD-HDR Steelbook and the Limited Edition Box Set from Arrow. They are too gorgeous to pass up. The Steelbook is till available on Barnes and Nobile of all places for people looking for that thing. It's sold out mostly everywhere else, free shipping too. it's selling for almost double on ebay already.
Cool! What kind of set-up do you have for your bust? With the signature now, will you have it on a pedestal or something where the signature is easy to view?

Wow, I'm surprised B&N still has it. I didn't even think to look at them. I saw it sold out at Amazon and Best Buy when I went to order, so I ended up going thru diabolikdvd. You got a better deal.

I rarely collect physical media the last several years, except for my favorites. I'm sure glad I did. I don't own many steelbooks, but you're right - the packaging (and film) look even better than I thought it would! So much better than the standard art, which I'm not a fan of at all. That's basically what made me search for that steelbook. The fact that it's the same awesome classic cover art that's been around since my old VHS tape (that I rolled over on and crushed ) is even better.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:11 PM   #890
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Cool! What kind of set-up do you have for your bust? With the signature now, will you have it on a pedestal or something where the signature is easy to view?

Wow, I'm surprised B&N still has it. I didn't even think to look at them. I saw it sold out at Amazon and Best Buy when I went to order, so I ended up going thru diabolikdvd. You got a better deal.

I rarely collect physical media the last several years, except for my favorites. I'm sure glad I did. I don't own many steelbooks, but you're right - the packaging (and film) look even better than I thought it would! So much better than the standard art, which I'm not a fan of at all. That's basically what made me search for that steelbook. The fact that it's the same awesome classic cover art that's been around since my old VHS tape (that I rolled over on and crushed ) is even better.
I have my bust on the end of a shelf above eye level angled looking towards the center of the basement. The signature is visible from the side but not blatantly obvious as if I had him sign the chest armor.

I used to be crazy of collecting DVDs. I built a nice collection of all of my favorites then I began buying titles (for the collection) just to keep the addiction going. Then I stopped for years picked up my favorite titled on Blu Ray and Blu ray 3D. Predator is unbelievable in 3D. I picked up the nice steelbook here and ther me if I liked the artwork. I never go into Best Buy anymore, their movie selection is like 1.5 rows its so pathetic. But last month I walked in to get my kids some kids movies for Easter and I saw the RoboCop Arrow UHD box set and I loved the art work. I passed on it because I have 4 versions of RoboCop LOL. After meeting. Weller I thought man you really should pick that up I went back it was gone. I went to another Best Buy the my had the box set but I really wanted the steelbook beside the RoboCop movie post art of him exiting the OCP cop car is probably my favorite movie poster. I saw on a forum the steelbook was available from Grindhoise Video (never heard of them before) but the. I read it was at Barnes and Nobile too. I did a search there was a steelbook 4K UHD at my local B&N. Drove there this morning ineas the first customer in and there it was. It was so nice to walk into a store and walk out with what I was looking for. I miss those days. This is my favorite steelbook. Its so beautiful. Thanks for the heads up about it!!!!!!!