Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 02-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
dynabol69
The Spirit

Great info guys. i was wondering, do you use the lighter fluid with a brush , fingers sponge or other tools for smoothing. In other words, how would you apply it?
dynabol69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #12
Ted Viti
Doh!

I use the Lighter fluid (Ronson) With a both rough bristle and with a very Soft bristle brush.
Ted Viti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #13
Arannz
Frackin!

Apparently you can also use turpentine to smooth the super sculpey, but it is the most aggressive and will actually dissolve the surface somewhat - so you want to be careful if you try it.

I've been using 100% isopropyl alcohol applied with a soft brush and that works well for smoothing detailed areas and cleaning up 'crumbs'.

To get a surface nice and smooth I really like to start with the large underlying forms - make the base surface as smooth as possible by 'smudging' the surface of the SS to remove any lumpiness. Once you have got the large forms nicely smoothed, shaped, and in proportion then move on to the fine detailing. Once you have the detailing down you can smooth it with alcohol to your desired finish.
Arannz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:26 AM   #14
EvilNinjaChris
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I only pretty much use ronsonol lighter fluid...its pretty aggressive, so you do have to be careful as it will turn detail to a puddle of muddy mush if you use too much...sometimes its good to brush a little on and let it all evaporate and dry then if you need to do more refining, go back and do it again. also, as far as brushes go you want a firm and a soft...i only really use sable brushes. and for the softer brush, try and get a good quality one... that really helps with smoothing the clay out....and the other tool that is mentioned quite often is what's called a burnisher... it looks just like the bottom tools ivar posted ...that's really useful for smoothing out the sculpey. I've even used brand new artist quality plastic erasers by just imprinting them on the surface...hope you can use any of that..good luck
EvilNinjaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #15
sunohc
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

hm, i had 70% alcohol, does that work in smoothing?
I tried it a few times, and its not exactly working too well.
where would I buy all this stuff, most conveniently?
Thanks
so is turpinoid, lighter fluid, or rubbing alcohol betteR?
sunohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:02 PM   #16
Arannz
Frackin!

Your 70% alcohol is likely to be ethanol, which may not work so well for smoothing (although I haven't tried it myself). We use 70% alcohol (ethanol) in the lab to sterilize/clean stuff all the time, but it isn't that strong. Try to get some isopropyl alcohol at 90-100%. You might be able to buy it from your local chemist. I think it is the same thing as 'rubbing alcohol' and is sometimes found in solutions used to clean piercings while they heal.

Turps is supposedly very aggressive on sculpey, so be careful with it if you try it out. Maybe test it on a spare bit of sculpey.

I haven't tried lighter fluid, so can't comment on it's efficacy, but you ought to be able to find it pretty easily - I imagine your local supermarket or gas station would probably carry it.
Arannz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #17
sunohc
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

thanks man. Hha, I knew there was something wrong with that alcohol.
I gues I could find it at the local Rite Aide or King Soopers like grocery store with a pharmacy?
Thanks!
sunohc is offline   Reply With Quote