Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 03-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
EvilNinjaChris
A day without sunshine is like... night.

EvilNinjaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
Car50n
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Azbro available from Compleat Sculptor. it's based on the famous Hasbro wax. which was some guarded secret, like the Pepsi formula.
Car50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #3
EvilNinjaChris
A day without sunshine is like... night.

EvilNinjaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:33 AM   #4
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

ear wax??
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
Toxicpapa
Doh!

Hiya folks, I am new to this forum, there are several kinds of toy carving wax out there, Azbro, Silwax, Calwax, and the stuff I make called TMS Studio wax.
Or as the artists about the forum's have dubbed, Ralph's wax.

All these waxes require you to use a waxer pen, or heated tools, in order to move material around. None are like casteline, as in you cannot model the material when it is warm {push masses around with your fingers or tools}. Most artists make a rough sculpture in a soft clay, like super sculpey, or chavant, then take a waste mold {mold only used for a few castings} off of the rough, and pour the wax into that mold , remove the cast wax version, and use this casting for all your surface treatments, and detail.This is where the wax pen comes in, you litererally drip on detais, and carve them and burnish them clean. Like drawing in 3d. The wax flows off the pen tip like india ink. The level of finish, and detail that can be done in these materials is astounding. And you can handle all the parts of a sculpt, without damage to the pieces,as you work . Plus the sculpts do not attract dirt and fibres like clay waxes can do when handling.

So if you like what you have seen in past posts, it certainly is worth a try at any of these waxes.

If you are interested in the TMS Studio wax {Ralph's wax}
I can be contacted thru Toxicmama@aim.com or the studio website WWW.Toxicmom.com
Toxicpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:37 PM   #6
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Location: California, the world's largest outdoor free-range insane asylum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicpapa
Hiya folks, I am new to this forum, there are several kinds of toy carving wax out there, Azbro, Silwax, Calwax, and the stuff I make called TMS Studio wax.
Or as the artists about the forum's have dubbed, Ralph's wax.

All these waxes require you to use a waxer pen, or heated tools, in order to move material around. None are like casteline, as in you cannot model the material when it is warm {push masses around with your fingers or tools}. Most artists make a rough sculpture in a soft clay, like super sculpey, or chavant, then take a waste mold {mold only used for a few castings} off of the rough, and pour the wax into that mold , remove the cast wax version, and use this casting for all your surface treatments, and detail.This is where the wax pen comes in, you litererally drip on detais, and carve them and burnish them clean. Like drawing in 3d. The wax flows off the pen tip like india ink. The level of finish, and detail that can be done in these materials is astounding. And you can handle all the parts of a sculpt, without damage to the pieces,as you work . Plus the sculpts do not attract dirt and fibres like clay waxes can do when handling.

So if you like what you have seen in past posts, it certainly is worth a try at any of these waxes.

If you are interested in the TMS Studio wax {Ralph's wax}
I can be contacted thru Toxicmama@aim.com or the studio website WWW.Toxicmom.com

Ralph, welcome aboard to StatueForum.com and thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with all of us.

As many of us sculptors well know, the quality, consistency and distribution of Castilene has taken a serious swan dive lately. Ralph, have you considered filling this unique market niche with your own formulation, one that could perhaps even outperform the old Castilene?
Curt Chiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
Toxicpapa
Doh!

Have to work on that, Casteline as you know is designed to be a burnout wax for one off bronze castings, so some of the properties required for that process, are not needed for our kind of work. So The filler that can make casteline gritty, is not needed, and this might help it work with a wax pen more efficiently.
But it is something Ive had on a back burner for a while. And have played with some mixes. But casteline had a good grip on the industry. Now i just hope they can bring it back to it's original form, which years ago was pretty cool stuff. Now it is a shadow of what it used to be. Some of the problems faced when handing down a formula, to my knowledge, now on it's third owner. Finding good quality materials is key. Substituting materials can make or break a good formula. But if you cook, you find this out in the end. Should have used heavy cream........
Toxicpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:53 AM   #8
Kirk Durfey
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Welcome to the forum, Ralph! I always enjoy reading your insights into the sculpting business over at the Clubhouse, and I look forward to seeing more of your sculpts!
Kirk Durfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

Ralph welcome to the forum.

I know a lot of sculptors that just LOVE your formula for WAX and cannot say enough good things about it and your service.

Hope to see you around.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Hi Ralph