Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 04-21-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
twedzel
Doh!

baking larger super sculpey sculptur

New to the forums, so I'll just dive in.

I've sculpted a sculpey sculpture that stands roughly two feet tall. Which is unfortunantly way to big for my oven. So I'm wracking my brain on how to bake the thing. I really don't relish the idea of sitting out on my balcony for two days strait with my heat gun. Used kitchen supply stores around here don't have any ovens that suit my needs. SO I'm thinking of building my own. I noticed in anouther post someone made vague references to building one.

So I have two questions

1. How do the other sculptors go about baking their oversized sculpts

2. Does anybody have more concrete links/plans/suggestions on how to build an oven suitable for baking sculpey.

Thanks

Brian
twedzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Arannz
Frackin!

Is there no way you can cut it into smaller pieces then reassemble after baking? It adds more hassle and time, but I would have thought it would be less than that of building a custom oven....
Arannz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:14 AM   #3
twedzel
Doh!

nadda, my armature would make this impossible without half destroying my sculpt. I'd also like to develope a system that'll handle for futur sculpts.

Right now I'm thinking of a system using a steel garbage can turned upside down over fire bricks, wrapped in insulation, and using a hotplate as a heat source. I am trying to think of a way to circulate the hot air via small fans and a way to best measure the temperature inside the can.
twedzel is offline   Reply With Quote