Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 11-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #1481
worstgamerever
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Thanks SF. I'm actually a lot more keen to see the detail on her watch - that's what I'm been trying to see. Maybe I've got a watch fetish
worstgamerever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #1482
worstgamerever
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post

Have to admit, the eyebrows look very different. Sure the photo on the right might not be the best photo in the world.
Has the image on the right been squashed as the face look thinner. Seeing these two images side by side they don't compare.
Wow. Just wow. Look at that difference. This is not what I signed up for.

Last edited by worstgamerever; 11-02-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typo!
worstgamerever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #1483
StatueTank
Frackin!

Those comparison photos don't mean anything. They are two completely different lighting scenarios, angles, and most important different focal lengths.

Focal length can make any face look unrecognisable. It's why you don't want to take a photo of a face close up unless you want the person to come out looking hideous.

An example is this image, that shows the same woman who's had her photo taken from differing focal lengths. The first one is unrecognisable from the last:

Don't take super close ups of faces. Always a bad idea, especially with statues.
StatueTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:50 PM   #1484
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

That's a really great point which you illustrated really well, StatueTank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Fiction View Post
Snapped a quick face pick for now. Need to pack these up first. She is amazing guys

https://www.facebook.com/specfiction...553757486949:0
Quote:
I'm going to take more pics but seriously, she is beautiful. Details are INSANE!
Quote:
Whisper looks really great in these pics imo and I am sure she will look even better in person. Thank you sir for taking the time to take and post the pics. I am really looking forward to getting mine in hand.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #1485
Wah
Shadowhawk

in my opinion, the difference from quality of the proto to the production piece is way too large. everyone understands there will be variation obviously, but for it to be so stark and seemingly such a huge drop off, that's a definite no go for me at least. such a shame.
Wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #1486
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
in my opinion, the difference from quality of the proto to the production piece is way too large. everyone understands there will be variation obviously, but for it to be so stark and seemingly such a huge drop off, that's a definite no go for me at least. such a shame.
It seems you completely ignored StatueTank's post. Lighting and lens distortion has a direct effect on accurately capturing the piece in pics.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #1487
Spec Fiction
Speculative Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
There is actually not much a difference in quality. The quality top notch as usual. The face sculpt is SLIGHTLY different. Again, these pics are distorted. The pic of the proto is further away whereas the pic of the production piece is right up in her face.

Yeesh, I need to take some better pics pronto.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #1488
ronskimomo
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

SF, when will your shop start shipping the statue? Thanks!
ronskimomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #1489
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
It seems you completely ignored StatueTank's post. Lighting and lens distortion has a direct effect on accurately capturing the piece in pics.
I don't think StatueTank's post has any real bearing on the situation. So much has been said about the (now multiple) in hand pics from different owners, and it seems as though some are making a big deal out of such insignificant photography lapses in order to somehow cover up a very plain, simple, and clear fact......the production piece is not the same, or as good, as the prototype.

Now, for some this isn't a deal breaker, for others it is. If you own / about to buy this piece despite seeing the inhand pics, great, no amount of "nay saying" should / will change that stance.....and realistically, why should it? But the same is true for those who feel cheated! No amount of nit picking on the minute nuances of photography are going to make an apple into an orange (or, to avoid an accusation of "exaggeration", to make the piece into something it is not)

GG had AMPLE time to make this piece into a work of art! They had COMPLETE control over the piece, and given the delays, could really have driven their production plant to make this something amazing......they wasted that opportunity, and for some, it's plain to see.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #1490
marker2037
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Eh, you've never been happy about anything
marker2037 is offline   Reply With Quote