Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

View Poll Results: Would you pay more for the Filmation He-Man Statues You Want?
I would pay at least $100 extra per regular Filmation statue. 26 60.47%
I would pay at least $1,100 (AFTER discount) for the Panthor & Skeletor realistic set 30 69.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2016, 01:57 AM   #1
qz33
Doctor Doom

Would you pay more for PCS Filmation He-Man or the Skeletor & Panthor Set?

VOTING IS MULTIPLE CHOICE SO YOU CAN CHOOSE BOTH OPTIONS IF YOU WISH.

This thread is really only for those with an interest in He-Man.

Obviously anyone can vote but a lot of us are trying to see if it is feasible for something we really want and it makes no sense just to vote at the expense of fellow board members here that are truly interested.

Just like it says in the title. Statues stay the same not the "for higher quality or if we got blah blah blah".
This isn't before discount or any other nonsense. This is NOT including the usual $15-$25 dollar increase statues occasionally get throughout a year. Basically let's see how many would you give PCS an extra $300-$400 per year for 3-4 Filmation statues or so.

How badly do the hardcore here want to at least finish what has been started with Mer-Man, Stratos, Ram-Man, and maybe Tri-Klops or Whiplash and the endlessly discussed Skeletor & Panthor set?

This is about money so let's see who will play the money game.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:05 AM   #2
Ranz
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I'm all in for realistic Skeletor and Panthor to go with my He Man and Battlecat exclusive to my mind the definitive He Man so far
Ranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:15 AM   #3
qz33
Doctor Doom

I'm going to be totally honest here. I would pay $150+ MORE than the usual cost to get the 3 Filmation already planned and the other 2 I mentioned and be all right with the end of the line.

I'm not sure about the Panthor Skeletor set so I'm going to give it a few hours before I vote.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:32 AM   #4
Comicbookguy
Hercules

If it was a character I want I would. But my most wanted are characters like queen Angela, damar the demon, granamyer, battle cat etc...
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
If it was a character I want I would. But my most wanted are characters like queen Angela, damar the demon, granamyer, battle cat etc...
Yeah and most of that ain't ever getting made.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
gomur
The Tick

I never collected the Filmation statues but I recognized and appreciated the artistry behind them. Of course diehard MotU fans won't have all their favorites realized - no way do the likes of Moss Man get made. However, strong cartoon regulars like Mer-Man, Stratos, Ram-Man, and Tri-Klops certainly sound justified. Even with lower ES and higher prices.

I did preorder the realistic He-Man and Battle Cat set, and look forward to them. I'd love to see a Skeletor and Panthor made as well. Paying at least $1,100 is pushing it for me though. That's probably right where my comfort zone ends.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
I never collected the Filmation statues but I recognized and appreciated the artistry behind them. Of course diehard MotU fans won't have all their favorites realized - no way do the likes of Moss Man get made. However, strong cartoon regulars like Mer-Man, Stratos, Ram-Man, and Tri-Klops certainly sound justified. Even with lower ES and higher prices.

I did preorder the realistic He-Man and Battle Cat set, and look forward to them. I'd love to see a Skeletor and Panthor made as well. Paying at least $1,100 is pushing it for me though. That's probably right where my comfort zone ends.
Yeah I came up with the price from this post and allowed for a bit of discount since Jerry usually tells prices here before any discount. I really think getting people to pay that would be a stretch especially for an unknown style lacking a sure nostalgic reference and this doesn't even address selling the same number of pieces. I probably would still get it because I bought everything else PCS He-Man.

Getting people to pay a bit more for a few remaining characters seems more feasible, at least to me.

I trust Jerry enough that for the 4 you mentioned I'd prepay sight unseen or at least based upon an artist sketch. Maybe just maybe Jerry could show some design art for all the previous statues and try doing a real PreOrder based on those? If we all got a sense of how well the statue translated from the art we might be willing to pay upfront so he would actually have orders secured before going too far into design costs. From what I have seen of Teela it looks like the original looks from the sketches remain into the finished statue. Plus he would have everyone's full attention that this really was the closing fo the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
This is really an unfortunate situation for all of us, myself included.

I just dont think we are going to continue with the 1:4 Skeletor/Panthor.

You have to understand that while the combo sets sold well, the separate pieces sold very poorly. The combo sets alone do not make the line profitable. We needed good sales on the separate pieces as well.

In addition , there is the issue with now knowing what the real cost of these are to make and realistically a price of $750 for Panthor and $550 for Skeletor.

With Sideshow in the market and selling more of their He-Man and Skeletor than we did ours, I believe the public has spoken and what they want is a modern interpretation of the characters with crazy details.

Even our realistic He-Man was still intended to be very Filmation based and true to the original designs. We actually worked very hard to NOT stray too far from the original source art, but what we learned is we should have gone much further. Sideshows barely has any connection to the original designs yet still sold way better than ours. Again, the market has spoken.

Compounding this are my distributors telling me that with Sideshows He-Man and Skeletor out there, they dont feel theres room for my 1:4 Skeletor. So i dont even have retailers support.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #8
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
I beleive Hard Hero already taught this lesson way back, classic doesn't sell,most people want highly detailed statues.I knew this was going to happen when PCS announced the He-Man line,they did not learn from their mistake with Thundercats it seems.This classic stuff could possibly survive in the 1:6 scale .
Well he did do a poll based on this image. Option B won but the statues ended up being more like option A. People want both whether they know it or not.

What we got is awesome but what many wanted even more and even more people would have wanted even if they didn't know it were the Filmation styles brought into reality without losing the characteristic looks. The Filmation He-Man got the closest. Bring the cartoon to life. Not just the cartoon brought into 3D or the character done in a realistic fashio. Basically a more detailed cartoon like IDW and Dreamwave did with their Transformers and G.I. Joe comics.

I at least would have been more receptive to their realistic 1/4 He-Man & Battle-Cat if it was more like option D.

What you say is totally true Vracula. I know Jerry's emphasis on this forum doesn't seem to agree but at the end of it people buy these as statues first and the characters they remember second as Sideshow's line has shown.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #9
gomur
The Tick

It's a pity the realistic He-Man/Battle Cat didn't sell well. No doubt Jerry learned to adjust his pricing accordingly and rely on combos should Skeletor/Panthor ever be revisited.

I wonder if any classic Filmation fans bought the realistic Battle Cat. Would get a kick seeing him with the Filmation He-Man.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #10
Dandoc
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
It's a pity the realistic He-Man/Battle Cat didn't sell well. No doubt Jerry learned to adjust his pricing accordingly and rely on combos should Skeletor/Panthor ever be revisited.

I wonder if any classic Filmation fans bought the realistic Battle Cat. Would get a kick seeing him with the Filmation He-Man.
Definite yes from me for the realistic Skeletor and Panthor.

I also wonder about Battle-Cat. I've read a lot of people saying they'd love a Filmation Battle-Cat, I'm surprised people haven't (if they haven't) gone with the realistic one.

I've pre-ordered the realistic He-Man and regular Battle-Cat as I only discovered the line late otherwise would definitely have bought the combo. I loved the cartoon as a kid but the Filmation statues just don't appeal to me, I prefer the pre-Filmation era which I feel is well captured with the realistic PCS statues.
Dandoc is offline   Reply With Quote