Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2007, 01:28 PM   #21
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocruze View Post
Certainly an option, but one which would probably not achieving a harmonious result.

However, feel free to chime in with your suggestions at any time.
Thank you kind sir.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #22
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix v.2.0 View Post
Take me out Kobe style.

rotflol
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #23
pablocruze
Minister of GORE/ROT Mod Relations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Thank you kind sir.
Anytime...
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #24
hawkeyethearcher

ok my wife just sent me an article about a group af scientist. they believe they are the first people to find proof that raptors hunted and lived in packs. i sent her another article that pointed out that decades ago another group of scientist had all but proved that fact. now since it is obvioulsy a fact that can never be proven i told her i was sending the other article cause i believed that the scientist were exaggerating there own importance. while there find soes lend more proof to the theory it doesnt prove anything. they stated that is was the first such find and it was not. all i was doing was pointing out that they were incorrect.

now she says i am calling her an idiot. how can she jump to that conclussion and how can i keep that from happening. i never mentioned her just the scientists. how is that calling her stupid. i thanked her for the article cause she knows what a history nut i am.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:43 PM   #25
pablocruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyethearcher View Post
ok my wife just sent me an article about a group af scientist. they believe they are the first people to find proof that raptors hunted and lived in packs. i sent her another article that pointed out that decades ago another group of scientist had all but proved that fact. now since it is obvioulsy a fact that can never be proven i told her i was sending the other article cause i believed that the scientist were exaggerating there own importance. while there find soes lend more proof to the theory it doesnt prove anything. they stated that is was the first such find and it was not. all i was doing was pointing out that they were incorrect.

now she says i am calling her an idiot. how can she jump to that conclussion and how can i keep that from happening. i never mentioned her just the scientists. how is that calling her stupid. i thanked her for the article cause she knows what a history nut i am.
Her response isn't directly related to the fact that you sent her contradictory information that repudiates the article that she sent to you, it is based upon a history of similar feelings that have been building over a period of time.

Now, I'm not saying that you repatedly have called her an idiot, but she is responding to feelings that she has built up that defines the way she percieves YOUR perception of her. She may not feel 100% intimidated, but some part of her believes that:

1) You think she's less intelligent

2) Nothing she does is right...or right enough

3) You don't appreciate her intentions

or something similar to those things listed above.

The best way to deal with these perceptions (Using this incident as an example) is to graciously accept the information she sent you and refrain from "correcting" her with the details you are already aware of, and thank her for thinking of YOU and your interests.

After all, it really doesn't matter if the latest scientific report is more accurate or less accurate than the prior one, what matters is that she took the time and effort (even if it was minimal) to do soemthing for you because she was aware of your interest in the subject.

Sometime in the future, if you felt it was important, you could share with her:

"Hey, remember that article you sent me about raptors? Guess what I found out?"

In that way, you are again showing your appreciation of her saving the article for you because you are sharing "further" information with her that she will feel a part of.

As an example, my wife has some poor english skills in that her spelling, pronunciation and usage of certain words and phrases is completely out of whack. I'm pretty strong in this area and during the first 10 years of our relationship I would graciously correct her (always in private, never in front of anyone else) when she mispronounced a word or used an improper tense of a verb in a sentence. I was thinking that I was helping her with improving her language skills.

One day, a long time friend (who happens to ba a psychologist) told me to stop doing that. In spite of the fact that I thought I was helping, the actual effect was that I was making her feeel inferior to me and adding to the insecurity and lack of confidence she already had.

A short time after I completely stopped "correcting" her, she felt comfortable enough to ask me when she was uncertain how to spell or pronounce a word or felt she had made a grammatical error, and it continues to this day.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:48 PM   #26
hawkeyethearcher

Quote:
Her response isn't directly related to the fact that you sent her contradictory information that repudiates the article that she sent to you, it is based upon a history of similar feelings that have been building over a period of time.

Now, I'm not saying that you repatedly have called her an idiot, but she is responding to feelings that she has built up that defines the way she percieves YOUR perception of her. She may not feel 100% intimidated, but some part of her believes that:

1) You think she's less intelligent

2) Nothing she does is right...or right enough

3) You don't appreciate her intentions

or something similar to those things listed above.

The best way to deal with these perceptions (Using this incident as an example) is to graciously accept the information she sent you and refrain from "correcting" her with the details you are already aware of, and thank her for thinking of YOU and your interests.

After all, it really doesn't matter if the latest scientific report is more accurate or less accurate than the prior one, what matters is that she took the time and effort (even if it was minimal) to do soemthing for you because she was aware of your interest in the subject.

Sometime in the future, if you felt it was important, you could share with her:

"Hey, remember that article you sent me about raptors? Guess what I found out?"

In that way, you are again showing your appreciation of her saving the article for you because you are sharing "further" information with her that she will feel a part of.

As an example, my wife has some poor english skills in that her spelling, pronunciation and usage of certain words and phrases is completely out of whack. I'm pretty strong in this area and during the first 10 years of our relationship I would graciously correct her (always in private, never in front of anyone else) when she mispronounced a word or used an improper tense of a verb in a sentence. I was thinking that I was helping her with improving her language skills.

One day, a long time friend (who happens to ba a psychologist) told me to stop doing that. In spite of the fact that I thought I was helping, the actual effect was that I was making her feeel inferior to me and adding to the insecurity and lack of confidence she already had.

A short time after I completely stopped "correcting" her, she felt comfortable enough to ask me when she was uncertain how to spell or pronounce a word or felt she had made a grammatical error, and it continues to this day.
damn i hate you. that is good advice that i already knew and just forget to put into effect. thanks for the reminder
Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #27
pablocruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyethearcher View Post
damn i hate you. that is good advice that i already knew and just forget to put into effect. thanks for the reminder

If I could only do it ALL the time, it would be great, but believe me, it has taken me years to get to the point where I can do it more often than not. Seven years ago, we were on the verge of divorce.

Mind you, neither one of us is a jerk or an a$$hole, but a relationship can devolve into a power struggle, and that is where we found ourselves.

Men and women not only think differently but talk and perceive differently. I spent a lot of time and effort learning about how women think and speak in order to save my marriage.

I also decided that I didn't have to be "right" all the time, I didn't have to get the last word in and that her feelings were as important to me as my feelings were.

We've both come a long way together, but a relationship is constantly a work in progress.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #28
scott
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Obviously you have many choices, but the preferred response would be any one of the following:

1) Hi Honey, can I help you with dinner?

2) Hi Sweetie, can I get dinner going to help you out?

3) Hey Baby, must have been a tough day...want to go out for dinner?

Of course, 'Nuff's answer takes it to another level entirely...
Yeah then maybe I can put on a apron and do the dishes, while she sits down to relax & watch her soaps
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 PM   #29
skorpsta
Ghost

Quote:
Congratulations Skorpy!!!

If I had to guess, I'd say you are in the minority here when it comes to a spouse supporting and encouraging the resin addiction...
yea shes kool... thank god..i here all this stories from some of my buddies, i had one say "yo rob when you get married bro, all your hobbies come to an end"........YIKES!!!!!!.....its funny he told me this in front of my girl.....lol and my girl said..'you should of never got married"....lol o well, it is what it is. my girl is a comic fan but she loves the whole couple thing in the comics.....the vision and scarletwitch, batman and wonderwoman {jlanimated series} of course superman and lois..but her favorite BLACK CANARY AND GREEN ARROW.......as she would say dinah and oliver.
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #30
pablocruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Yeah then maybe I can put on a apron and do the dishes, while she sits down to relax & watch her soaps
Wouldn't that surprise her???