Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
DeKind
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

EBAY Sellers and USPS Parcel Post

For the life of me i cant understand the love for this failure of a mailing option. A dozen times i've won auctions [i dont buy stuff often] and the seller COMPLETELY ignores my requests for a Priority mail shipping quote. Often times its no more than a few dollars more expensive, which i'd gladly pay to get my items 4-5 days faster, or in extreme cases a full week faster, compared to Parcel post or Media mail. The only exception to this is oversized packages where the savings can actually be substantial.

Every time i send something, it goes Priority, its gets delivery confirmation, it gets insured. It arrives in 2 days, and i dont have to worry about things getting lost or broken and it makes the buyer happy to have their items that much faster.

Parcel post, things take 7-10 days, passes through a hundred and one postal facilities where they seemingly take a boot to the side, or get a complementary drop test, at each stop, then maybe arrives intact if you're lucky. All in the name of saving a couple dollars or in a few of my cases, in the name of being too goddamn lazy to look up a shipping quote. As if the shipping calculator incorporated into ebay is too difficult to use.

Also what do you think about sellers overcharging on shipping? Lets say $10 to ship a 12 inch figure and it arrives clearly labeled that it cost them $3.50 to mail in a flat rate envelope/box. Would you give them a strike in the review system? That pisses me off too, people who make profit off the shipping fees, especially in conjuction with my other gripe where i've clearly paid enough for it to be sent faster.

Sorry i just had to rant about this. Its becoming really tiresome.
DeKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKind View Post
For the life of me i cant understand the love for this failure of a mailing option. A dozen times i've won auctions [i dont buy stuff often] and the seller COMPLETELY ignores my requests for a Priority mail shipping quote. Often times its no more than a few dollars more expensive, which i'd gladly pay to get my items 4-5 days faster, or in extreme cases a full week faster, compared to Parcel post or Media mail. The only exception to this is oversizes packages where the savings can actually be substantial.

Every time i send something, it goes Priority, its gets delivery confirmation, it gets insured. It arrives in 2 days, and i dont have to worry about things getting lost or broken and it makes the buyer happy to have their items that much faster.

Parcel post, things take 7-10 days, passes through a hundred and one postal facilities where they seemingly take a boot to the side, or get a complementary drop test, at each stop, then maybe arrives intact if you're lucky. All in the name of saving a couple dollars or in a few of my cases, in the name of being too goddamn lazy to look up a shipping quote. As if the shipping calculator incorporated into ebay is too difficult to use.

Also what do you think about sellers overcharging on shipping? Lets say $10 to ship a 12 inch figure and it arrives clearly labeled that it cost them $3.50 to mail in a flat rate envelope/box. Would you give them a strike in the review system? That pisses me off too, people who make profit off the shipping fees, especially in conjuction with my other gripe where i've clearly paid enough for it to be sent faster.

Sorry i just had to rant about this. Its becoming really tiresome.
Dont forget, it costs sellers to pay for boxes, peanuts, bubble wrap. If it's an individual vs a store then I give them more latitude in shipping costs.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
LoD
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

If the buyer inquires and is willing to pay for the upgrade I agree that it should be offered.

In addition to what nbr3 said, I take into consideration their time to pack the item, drive to the post office, stand in line and mail the package.
LoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD View Post
If the buyer inquires and is willing to pay for the upgrade I agree that it should be offered.

In addition to what nbr3 said, I take into consideration their time to pack the item, drive to the post office, stand in line and mail the package.
That too!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
DeKind
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Dont forget, it costs sellers to pay for boxes, peanuts, bubble wrap. If it's an individual vs a store then I give them more latitude in shipping costs.
Im sure im not the only one who does this but anytime i get something thats in decent shape i keep the box and its packing for specifically this reason so i always have packing peanuts, some bubble wrap, or a couple boxes. Who doesnt buy on the web these days? That means 0 cost. And if you've made a little business out of it you can actually buy loads of packing material for very cheap so much so that the cost should be negligible. Plus the Priority boxes are free to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD View Post

Unless you live in the boondocks i find this to be a cop-out as well. Most people have a post office within 5-10minutes drive. Certainly one they must pass close by during their weekly travels. Also with the ability to purchase labels online now you dont have to wait in line, simply walk up to the counter and leave it there. If the post office really is out of the way, lets say you live in the middle of the woods, you can still print out the label, afix it to the package, and simply give it to/leave it for your post man.
DeKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Im sure im not the only one who does this but anytime i get something thats in decent shape i keep the box and its packing for specifically this reason so i always have packing peanuts, some bubble wrap, or a couple boxes. Who doesnt buy on the web these days? That means 0 cost. And if you've made a little business out of it you can actually buy loads of packing material for very cheap so much so that the cost should be negligible. Plus the Priority boxes are free to boot.

Unless you live in the boondocks i find this to be a cop-out as well. Most people have a post office within 5-10minutes drive. Certainly one they must pass close by during their weekly travels. Also with the ability to purchase labels online now you dont have to wait in line, simply walk up to the counter and leave it there. If the post office really is out of the way, lets say you live in the middle of the woods, you can still print out the label, afix it to the package, and simply give it to/leave it for your post man.
Well, if it bugs you that much, then don't bid on them.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

Quote:
Im sure im not the only one who does this but anytime i get something thats in decent shape i keep the box and its packing for specifically this reason so i always have packing peanuts, some bubble wrap, or a couple boxes. Who doesnt buy on the web these days? That means 0 cost. .

I do that exact same thing and it does come in handy. I just hate having empty boxes shoved in the closet. Now, as for the shipping, I put parcel post but I will take it upon myself to ship it priority if it's a little more, cheaper, or the same price.
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

I don't print out my labels online. I go to the post office and get the slips and use them that way. It does not take 5-10 minutes at the post office either. There are really long lines to stand in sometimes.
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
Weedo10
Hellboy

I agree with most of what angers you. If I feel the shipping costs are outrageous then I will not bid.
Weedo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
elocon
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

If shipping cost is clearly stated ahead of time and you're willing to pay that amount I don't see a problem. If you believe shipping to be too high then you probably shouldn't bid on them. People are on ebay to make money even if it means taking some from shipping and handling.
elocon is offline   Reply With Quote