Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #31
BillC
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I would start with your free outlets. CAF, CGC boards, FB groups, etc. List a price and see what happens. The more you sell without fees, the better. I would look at eBay with whatever you have left. You’ll get hit with some fees but you will get a lot of eyes on the auctions. If you have anything really stellar, you could consider Comic Link or Heritage but I would only consider that for high end blue chipper commission examples. Good luck!
What are the best OA Facebook groups? Any real legit ones? Never looked into that
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #32
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
What are the best OA Facebook groups? Any real legit ones? Never looked into that
I can't vouch for any of them personally. I joined 2 or 3 and never really went past that. As such, I can't say how legit they are. I figure if you buy or sell and use proper paypal protection, etc. you should be alright.

Has anyone actually used any of the FB art sales groups that can provide more insight?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:23 PM   #33
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail....ASC&id=1163545

I guess this is the only one that allows BST that I am a member of. I would presume there are more.

CAF
Old 01-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #34
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

talk about purge. opened up the caf today. hopefully results in some interest. if y'all wanna take a peek lmk what you think. cheers.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=179954

p.s. of course kept a few.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:05 PM   #35
ratchet
Mandarin

I remember talking to a seller recently who said commissions are a dead end investment wise. I was happy with what I had but I stopped buying commissions a long time ago.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #36
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Commissions are hit and miss. Obviously, like OA, it depends on the artist and the subject matter. CAF is pretty good and it's free.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:10 AM   #37
BillC
Hellboy

About commissions...

Traditionally commissions aren't a best bet for getting your $ back out of it, due to the personalized nature of the art/content and also the fact that there is no nostalgia for the image in formative years. In my case I commission lots of stuff that is very specific (not exactly Batman on gargoyle)- which would make it much harder for me to resell as there is limited interest in my specific focus.

Like I suspect others like me (who hoard one focus item) eventually clear their minds of the addiction and think about moving in other directions and building a better life with that $$$. While I do want to move away from published art (except great examples that I could have a chance at reselling if needed), my main focus- despite all I just wrote- is commissions. In my case I found a good artist who follows specs and has reasonable rates and communication. If our business relationship keeps up, that's where the majority of my OA $ will go. And it's not a huge sum really. It's a huge creative outlet for me too. And actually it takes up less of my time, rather than always hunting published stuff.

Sorry if I'm ranting/off topic in the wrong thread.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #38
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
It's a huge creative outlet for me too.
this is why I like commissions as well. congrats on finding a good artist that suits what you are looking to accomplish!
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #39
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

I always get a chuckle on the topic of hobbies and investments. I personally make sure not to view them as one in the same. They are distinct. If you are talking investment when it comes to collecting then you are a gambler as they are generally not a wise choice (sure, some will pay off but many won’t). I think we often entertain the notion of our collectibles being investments to rationalize more and more purchases (investment money + hobby money = more stuff we can buy). Commissions are clearly not good investments and I am fine with that. I commission what I enjoy so that I don’t have to worry about the selling on the back end.

CAF
Old 01-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #40
freeform
The Spirit

That's the way I see it. Commissions/art/books is to me a hobby only. So I don't spend that much, but I enjoy it.
freeform is offline   Reply With Quote