Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
cyborgt800
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Cool Original Sculpey Texture stamps

So Like one of the tutorials on here suggested, I got some two part rubberputty and started making texture stamps. Now, previously i just kept sponges and the like on hand to make textures from. Making a stamp of them accomplishes two things, One the result is the same texture, not the negative of the material and two is storage...wait! There's a third...convenience.
Well, this A+B putty cost $20 for a small amount...that's when it hit me...original white sculpey is cheap and very soft. I armed myself with a clump of the stuff and went around the house pulling textures off everything! I simply rolled a ball about 1/2" in diameter then with my thumb pressed and rolled it onto different surfaces. It almost always freed itself from the surface and stuck to my thumb. I peeled them off my thumb gently and boiled them. Now I have a whole bunch of cool textures at a fraction of the cost. I'll use the putty for hands, feet and faces as needed to cheat with new sculptures...it's often easier to modify a face or hand than creating them from scratch each time.verjoyed:

Last edited by cyborgt800; 08-12-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: punctuation
cyborgt800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Vicky
Doh!

WOW...Thank you!
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
mnwolfspider
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I have a bunch of plain old white Super Sculpy lying around. This just gave me a use for it. Great idea, cyborg!
mnwolfspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Tombo
Frackin!

People have been using their scrap polymer clay and their less than professional quality clay to make impressions for as long as the clay has been around. These are issues that make me think that if there were more crossover between the different groups that use polymer clay, these kinds of tips would have already been infused into the sculpting community. It amazes me still that there is such a gulf of silence between the sculptors and the people who use polymer clay to make jewelry and home decor items.

Tommie
Tombo is offline   Reply With Quote