Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-24-2014, 04:01 AM   #131
TheYoungWolf
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
So are they suppose to have half the season with Bruce continually burning himself and walking on the edge of roof tops thinking about jumping off?... would be kind of boring.. Marvels Agents of Shield try to take the slow approach and almost got their show cancelled...

If things like this annoy you then you guys must really hate Arrow, where their turning girls who have zero fighting skills into Assassins and Superhero's over night And then you got Flash who didn't know how to fight turn into Bruce Lee with no training...
Hah! As if it's as black and white as that. If I wasn't clear, I enjoy Gotham. While I'm not entirely up to speed as I'm watching it at a snail's pace, my criticism of Bruce is firm. Everything from his cold and calculated Batman-esque behavior right off the bat to the way they handle his grieving. To be honest, if Jim is truly the focus of the show, I'd have preferred they left Bruce's appearance a cameo specific to the premiere. Rushing to characterize him pre-cowl while remaining grounded in one specific time period(particularly his childhood) on top of exploring Jim Gordon, the GCPD and Gotham itself is a fool's errand. There's no breathing room, and that's where I think some are coming from when they say that this show has identity issues. You like the show? Cool. I like the show? Cool. Doesn't mean that it's without flaw.

The girl on Arrow that you're referring to has had two previous seasons (49 episodes) of characterization, development and motivation all culminating into what's clearly stated as a six month intensive training period to become what she has. Yeah, good comparison.. It's not brilliant storytelling, but I would hardly call it an equally abrupt transition.

I'm not sure what show you've been watching, but Barry has gotten his a** handed to him in every episode thus far. So he throws a couple punches between running really fast into enemies and suddenly you're ready to label him Bruce Lee? Sure. (Insert patronizing emoticon here)
TheYoungWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:11 AM   #132
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

I'm really digging it. A lot grittier than the cast would suggest.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #133
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
I'd have thought that within such a short time after his parents murder, Bruce would be too busy being a distraught, heartbroken child rather than a cold, weary detective most commonly associated with his older self.. It's disingenuous, it's inorganic and it lacks transition; like it all happened at the flip of a switch.

No one said it was an issue of age or intellect.

Bruce's characterization is probably my least favorite aspect of the show so far. The rest I find pretty enjoyable.
Not everyone deals with pain and loss in the same manner. The detective stuff may be a coping mechanism to distract himself from the loss of his parents.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #134
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Bruce went from "Gee dad, that movie we just saw sure was swell" to "It was clearly Professor Plum in the kitchen with a candlestick" in the span of half an episode. (a Clue reference seemed fitting )

There is no age requirement for genius, but his transition just wasn't believable. What they should have done is have a few episodes pre-murder (of his parents) to show us how Bruce was prior. They're already playing so loosely with the mythos at this stage that they likely could have easily convinced the execs that a few pre-murder scenes were worthy.

People ripped apart AoS for being a joke...Gotham is only marginally better
Quote:
I'd have thought that within such a short time after his parents murder, Bruce would be too busy being a distraught, heartbroken child rather than a cold, weary detective most commonly associated with his older self.. It's disingenuous, it's inorganic and it lacks transition; like it all happened at the flip of a switch.

No one said it was an issue of age or intellect.

Bruce's characterization is probably my least favorite aspect of the show so far. The rest I find pretty enjoyable.
I completely agree with you, gentlemen.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #135
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Hah! As if it's as black and white as that. If I wasn't clear, I enjoy Gotham. While I'm not entirely up to speed as I'm watching it at a snail's pace, my criticism of Bruce is firm. Everything from his cold and calculated Batman-esque behavior right off the bat to the way they handle his grieving. To be honest, if Jim is truly the focus of the show, I'd have preferred they left Bruce's appearance a cameo specific to the premiere. Rushing to characterize him pre-cowl while remaining grounded in one specific time period(particularly his childhood) on top of exploring Jim Gordon, the GCPD and Gotham itself is a fool's errand. There's no breathing room, and that's where I think some are coming from when they say that this show has identity issues. You like the show? Cool. I like the show? Cool. Doesn't mean that it's without flaw.

The girl on Arrow that you're referring to has had two previous seasons (49 episodes) of characterization, development and motivation all culminating into what's clearly stated as a six month intensive training period to become what she has. Yeah, good comparison.. It's not brilliant storytelling, but I would hardly call it an equally abrupt transition.

I'm not sure what show you've been watching, but Barry has gotten his a** handed to him in every episode thus far. So he throws a couple punches between running really fast into enemies and suddenly you're ready to label him Bruce Lee? Sure. (Insert patronizing emoticon here)
Every show has multiple story arcs, it's like saying Arrow has an identity crisis because it's showing story arc's of how Black Canary came to be.... or it throws in some episodes about Red Arrow or Diggle.

No way someone can become a martial arts expert in 6 months.... that takes several years of intense training... but I overlook stuff like that because it's TV show and I don't want to see several years of episodes of her training

And these moves do look a little bruce lee'ish

built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:53 AM   #136
abarron
Batman

Watch the Weather Balloon episode last night i'm not liking the show but the wife is so i guess i stuck with it.

Only half decent think in it is penguin
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:30 AM   #137
abarron
Batman

Ok last episode with the goat was a bit better. Nice to see a bit of character development
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #138
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnShinNoi View Post
The whole Barbara being bi thing is the most annoying side-plot. I hate when writers do things just to be edgy. And if you're gonna add it, at least have the courtesy to go the full distance with nude sex scenes.
I think the script writers have been reading my posts
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #139
protector2814
Phoenix

Since Montoya's gay in the comics, I think the writers just ran with that & included Babs in an attempt to be edgy, current, inclusive & hip for today's modern viewer. "Cool, man.... Gotham gets it., no labels, no boundaries."
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #140
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I'm enjoying the show.