Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-11-2022, 12:43 AM   #51
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Thanks for the input Phil!

I think I will probably go with bags for now. If there's a set of turtles made that I feel really go with one of my covers, then I might get it graded to display along with them.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:05 AM   #52
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Thanks for the input Phil!

I think I will probably go with bags for now. If there's a set of turtles made that I feel really go with one of my covers, then I might get it graded to display along with them.
I don't like things slabbed. The CGC grading is only really coveted for high grade-near mint books. That's the main value CGC grading gives an objective baseline for collectors to compete with one another.

Slabbed without graded is kinda a waste as other storage methods are nearly as reliable.

TMNT is what got me into any of this mess. I own the entire Mirage Voume 1 but I do not have any of them slabbed. TMNT has been reprinted enough that I find it not worth risking the originals anymore so that cuts down on the readability. No matter what every time you handle or read a comic you are degrading/damaging it.

Issues #1-4 would probably look great slabbed and displayed since they are magazine/oversized. The regular size issues may not be worth the hassle.

Money could be better spent getting the collected editions of the whole run and giving it a read. It's ironic how such a silly concept like the Turtles resulted in some of the realest comic stories that people wouldn't believe unless they've read them.
And the art, man Eastman is a much better artist than he is usually recognized as.

Before I got into statues I sat and watched the comiquettes at release and could not get my head around paying $1K for the EX Set. So like a fool I passed. There won't ever be a better statue set.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:38 AM   #53
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I don't like things slabbed. The CGC grading is only really coveted for high grade-near mint books. That's the main value CGC grading gives an objective baseline for collectors to compete with one another.

Slabbed without graded is kinda a waste as other storage methods are nearly as reliable.

TMNT is what got me into any of this mess. I own the entire Mirage Voume 1 but I do not have any of them slabbed. TMNT has been reprinted enough that I find it not worth risking the originals anymore so that cuts down on the readability. No matter what every time you handle or read a comic you are degrading/damaging it.

Issues #1-4 would probably look great slabbed and displayed since they are magazine/oversized. The regular size issues may not be worth the hassle.

Money could be better spent getting the collected editions of the whole run and giving it a read. It's ironic how such a silly concept like the Turtles resulted in some of the realest comic stories that people wouldn't believe unless they've read them.
And the art, man Eastman is a much better artist than he is usually recognized as.

Before I got into statues I sat and watched the comiquettes at release and could not get my head around paying $1K for the EX Set. So like a fool I passed. There won't ever be a better statue set.
I hadn't read about anyone slabbing without it also being graded, so yeah, I wouldn't do one without the other. I consider all my stuff to be near mint condition (90-98). I've read the descriptions and pored over photos of graded items on ebay, and I'm surprised what gets 94, 96, 98. Too much wear on corners... haha... I'm a harsher judge. I've rarely collected anything second-hand, so always have preferred my stuff 'like new'. Even as a kid I kept things pristine. But that's my memory - I still have to dig them out to verify.

I would love to own the comiquettes, but I think it's possible to make a better set that's more accurate to Eastman's or Dooney's art. I always loved the cover to collected Book I. I love the grins Eastman sometimes gave the turtles.

I frequently thumbed through that one but never bought it.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote