Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-18-2024, 08:53 PM   #361
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Gambit’s legs look odd. I wish he was more upright so it looks like he was ready to catch Rogue. Instead he is getting knocked over, but she doesn’t look like she’s doing anything but gently flying.

Is Rogue biting her lip? Or is that just the angle of the photos?
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:09 PM   #362
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
You?re right, now I can?t unsee it. Dude is staring right at me..lol
It's quite the optical illusion. My first question to my friend (before coming here to SF) was why is Gambit weirdly looking at me? Now that I adjusted my brain to the correct view, it's almost impossible for me to see him again like I originally did. Like I have to concentrate really hard, and I can only see it briefly before my brain switches back. So weird.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:22 PM   #363
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
It's quite the optical illusion. My first question to my friend (before coming here to SF) was why is Gambit weirdly looking at me? Now that I adjusted my brain to the correct view, it's almost impossible for me to see him again like I originally did. Like I have to concentrate really hard, and I can only see it briefly before my brain switches back. So weird.
Yup, weird.

I was wondering what a few of you were going on about when you referred to his eyes being off. I never saw any issue and still don’t. Though I first noticed his unique eyes on my iPad. I would understand if you’re looking only on a phone, but even then it was somewhat noticeable.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:29 PM   #364
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Yeah, it does look like Gambit is looking at you instead of Rogue, until you look really close and see that his eyes are directed towards Rogue.

Pros
It's Rogue and Gambit / two statues together.
I like that Rogue is holding on to one of Gambit's cards
Rogue's eyes and face expression look spot on.
It's fully sculpted
The pose between Rogue and Gambit body does look like a woman jumping into a man's arms for an embrace

Cons
Gambit face expression is just too goofy looking here. No offense, but I think he should have been playing hard to get or cool.

I don't like the charge exploding cards, that is getting dropping from his left hand. It looks like to me that they are both going to get blown up when the kinetic energy charge releases.

Gambit should be trying catch Rogue with his left hand so that she doesn't fall down. Granted Rogue can fly, but that is a natural reaction, the left hand should be on Rogue's back, belt, or but.

If this is only a 1/5 scale, I will most likely pass, will need to see more to decide for sure.
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:30 PM   #365
qz33
Doctor Doom

Guess because our brains are wired to recognize the darkest part of a eye as the pupil.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:39 PM   #366
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
I say that because Gambit has always been the aggressor with Rogue by being a smooth talking charmer that she's always been hesitant around because she's so afraid of touching him. So, with the way the statue is designed here, Gambit actually looks like he's trying to keep Rogue away by him holding her left hand up at the wrist with one hand while his other is just charging cards back and away from both of their bodies. It makes the entire scene look like he doesn't care that she's floating towards him.

So, I just think that one of his arms should be pulling her towards him (whether at her lower back or her bottom) because people's natural body language of affection should dictate that he would naturally be attempting to hold her close. And I get that Rogue's floating and Gambit doesn't need (and isn't trying) to hold her up with his own strength. It's just that, again, Gambit should be trying to bring her body in closer to his own as a natural response to this moment.

Hmm ...ok, fair enough.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:15 PM   #367
Shaughn54
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
There is a lot to unpack in this image and I think it tells quite the story. We will start with the cards. It looks like Gambit was holding a full deck of cards in his left hand and had thrown the ace at Rogue while saying something very romantic. She grabs the card kisses it and then jumps/flys into Gambit to press it against his lips and kiss him.

The cards in gambits left hand are slightly charged to give off a dim light in what could be a darkly lit room or it could be showing how excited he is that he finally broke down her walls and she is finally romantically committing to him.

The next part is Gambit's body language. He didn't catch her by the waist or both hands around her body, he let her come all the way into him so that he could dictate the next move. He grabs her by the wrist and slightly pins it to her chest so she cant pull away while dropping the deck with his left hand to wrap his arm around her waist.

Next, his jacket tails are flying towards Rogue, indicating that he is moving backward and Rogue's hair is showing that she is moving forward fast enough for her hair to be flowing backward and not down on her shoulders and back. The final piece is Gambit's legs. His legs weren't set in a strong base to catch her, instead, he had them together so he could drop his hips and pull her down while flowing with her own motion of moving into him. She can't pull away because her arm is pinned to his chest and his left arm is around his back so she will end up on top of him on whatever gambit had positioned behind him (bed, couch, pillow, etc..) in a playful romantic scene.

I think it is the perfect scene, but I do wish he had a sly grin like the recent PF, but the scene already shows that he has caught her in his trap so the grin is ok with me.

Also, I didn't catch the lip bite until I read Demona's comment here and I really hope it is Rogue biting her lip and not just the angle.
Shaughn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:49 PM   #368
DiscoCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
Hmm ...ok, fair enough.
Well, don't read my response as some kind of passionate soliloquy about this statue. It has potential to be great, and fans certainly have a lot of good in it to be excited for. But I'm an older collector (maybe you are as well? maybe not?), and I have to be more nitpicky about what it is I want to see before I just go out and buy stuff.

I have about two Rogue statues already, and getting a third has to be much better than they are for me to invest in her again =)
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:25 AM   #369
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
You?re right, now I can?t unsee it. Dude is staring right at me..lol
He's breaking the fourth wall! It's such a weird optical illusion. Unless I zoom in, it appears Gambit is looking at the viewer. My only real critique is that Gambit's grin should be with a closed mouth, aside from that it looks great.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:39 AM   #370
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
Well, don't read my response as some kind of passionate soliloquy about this statue. It has potential to be great, and fans certainly have a lot of good in it to be excited for. But I'm an older collector (maybe you are as well? maybe not?), and I have to be more nitpicky about what it is I want to see before I just go out and buy stuff.

I have about two Rogue statues already, and getting a third has to be much better than they are for me to invest in her again =)

No, not at all. I was just curious why you had that interpretation. I didn't quite see it the way you saw it. Just a difference in observation and interpretation.

Gotta say ...a lot of collectors here are having very different outlooks ...different interpretation of this piece.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote