Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #11
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
How is Spirits of Vengence? I was a huge Ghost Rider nut in the late 80's through the early 2000's. I would like to get back into it.
Only 1 issue deep but I really liked what I read. Johnny Blaze is back as the Rider, Son of Satan along with his sister Satana (who really didn't make the 1st issue) all going up against equally demonic enemies. The 1st ish closed with the team-intro of Blade! Which really had me smiling. Victor Gischler's writing was/is tight on the book & he seems to really get the characters. That being said, Dave Baldeon's art is a bit "modern" & almost manga-esque for my tastes but I can get used to it. I love the Marvel Supernaturals, so this was a must-buy for me.

Iron Fist, since it's relaunch, has been really, really good even though writer, Ed Brisson isn't really doing anything new with the character, he's really just revisiting Danny Rand's glory days as written by Thomas & Moench. He's just taking what they did & building upon it & slightly modernizing it ... which is GREAT! for today. IMO, right now, this is the best book Marvel's doing.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #12
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Only 1 issue deep but I really liked what I read. Johnny Blaze is back as the Rider, Son of Satan along with his sister Satana (who really didn't make the 1st issue) all going up against equally demonic enemies. The 1st ish closed with the team-intro of Blade! Which really had me smiling. Victor Gischler's writing was/is tight on the book & he seems to really get the characters. That being said, Dave Baldeon's art is a bit "modern" & almost manga-esque for my tastes but I can get used to it. I love the Marvel Supernaturals, so this was a must-buy for me.

Iron Fist, since it's relaunch, has been really, really good even though writer, Ed Brisson isn't really doing anything new with the character, he's really just revisiting Danny Rand's glory days as written by Thomas & Moench. He's just taking what they did & building upon it & slightly modernizing it ... which is GREAT! for today. IMO, right now, this is the best book Marvel's doing.
I read Spirits of Vengence today, pretty good so I think I'm in I would like if they acknowledge Ketch as well. The art isn't what I'd call Manga like but it is highly Stylized, almost like a mix of European Cartooning and Comic art. That said, the way he drew the Rider was a little jarring.

As for Iron Fist I have been enjoying it and Steve Epting's art is beautiful as always. As you said they are exploring Danny's past but in new ways, the current story is pretty interesting. I'm hoping they start some new ground next though.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #13
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I just looked it up online and realized I missed issue #12 of the current Thanos run. I missed it by 3 weeks! I frantically started calling around and found a shop that had one so I went by and grabbed it. So now I have the full run and with that, no more singles to worry about.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #14
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I just looked it up online and realized I missed issue #12 of the current Thanos run. I missed it by 3 weeks! I frantically started calling around and found a shop that had one so I went by and grabbed it. So now I have the full run and with that, no more singles to worry about.
See I don't mind trades, I usually buy them for stories I really like so I don't have to keep cracking single issues open, but I tend to always read in singles first...it's the kid collector in me I guess.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #15
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

For Those Interested Spirits of Vengence #2 hits today.

Ooo and a new issue of detective...nice.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #16
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
See I don't mind trades, I usually buy them for stories I really like so I don't have to keep cracking single issues open, but I tend to always read in singles first...it's the kid collector in me I guess.
Fair enough... If they release the Thanos series as a hardcover I will double dip. But just because of my obsession.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #17
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Fair enough... If they release the Thanos series as a hardcover I will double dip. But just because of my obsession.
Yeah I'm thinking of getting most of the Absolute Editions, most of those are stories I really like so I think they're worth the money. But I do love my monthlies. I think I'm going to try out Supergirl next to see if it's any good...if I'm not careful I'm going to get back into my old habit...of buying a ridiculous about of books a month.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #18
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Right now all I buy is

Batman
Detective Comics
Spawn
and The Walking Dead.

Think I’m gonna cancel TWD, it’s prettt redundant these days. They jut introduce new characters with the same plot lines. It’s about run it’s course for me.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:06 AM   #19
LegendaryOutlaw
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Mine:

Batman The White Knight
Dark Nights Metal (just because of Capullo)

Captain America(In Waid & Samnee I trust)
Mighty Thor(Glad to be there since Thor God Of Hammers...oops....Thunder)
Punisher The Platoon
LegendaryOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #20
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I don't have a monthly pull list anymore. :/ I prefer collected editions but since the subject also came to HC collected editions, i really like them too and prefer over anyother edition. Absolutes, Omnibuses and Deluxes are awesome Just got Nightwing Deluxe, a dream came true. I always wanted to get Nightwing in HC format.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote