Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 05-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #11
becakbagus
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindzider View Post
Is Spider-Man worthy enough to lift Mjolnir?
It is hard to say. the same question is, will thor walk up side down on the wall?
becakbagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:33 PM   #12
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

I consider "worthy" to basically refer to a person's motivations in life and general benevolence of their thoughts and actions. Seeing as being able to lift the hammer bestows the power of Thor upon the individual, having power isn't in itself part of being worthy; you are granted the power to do good by being worthy and wielding the hammer.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:40 PM   #13
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

As much as I love Spider-Man, no. He has too many character defects (as we all do).

To lift mjolnir, one must be pure of heart. I also agree that Captain America is more worthy than Thor.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #14
Blindzider
The Spirit

I appreciate all the responses!

I think the question comes down to what does "worthy" mean?

Always trying to do what is right?
Never make a mistake?
Put others before yourself?

I think we all agree it is more than just physical strength.

Because I'm a Spider-Man fan, I want him to lift it, but I recognize he is flawed. But do those flaws make him more or less worthy? Obviously Cap and Thor have both made mistakes and I agree Cap is more worthy than Thor, but part of me feels Spider-Man tries just as hard to do what is right and help others, many time sacrificing his personal life. Isn't that enough?
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #15
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

No. He has to much self doubt.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:59 PM   #16
Iacon13
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Marvelboi is right. The self doubt is likely what would prevent him from being able to lift it but is he worthy? I always go back to A Vs X when he faces down Colossus and Illiana when they are super charged with Phoenix power. He cuts himself off from the other heroes to give everyone a chance to escape. To me it’s that level of self sacrifice that makes him worthy. Sadly the doubt he carries because of past mistakes is his Achilles heel.
Iacon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #17
Blindzider
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
No. He has to much self doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iacon13 View Post
Marvelboi is right. The self doubt is likely what would prevent him from being able to lift it but is he worthy? I always go back to A Vs X when he faces down Colossus and Illiana when they are super charged with Phoenix power. He cuts himself off from the other heroes to give everyone a chance to escape. To me it’s that level of self sacrifice that makes him worthy. Sadly the doubt he carries because of past mistakes is his Achilles heel.
Just some friendly debate, but why does self doubt play a part? If his intentions and motivations are true, shouldn't that be enough to be worthy? His self doubt is a character flaw, but Thor arguably isn't as pure and without flaws as Captain America, but they both have flaws and both are considered "worthy".
Old 08-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #18
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Nope
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #19
The_Scratch
Fantastic Four

Not a snowballs chance in hell.Spiderman is not worthy.

The thing with Cap being worthy is that it also means at a particular time of need. Cap cannot just pick up the hammer at any time and swing it about like a baseball club. Keep in mind, Thor was being defeated by several Gods when Cap in an act of desperation reached for the hammer and the ODINFORCE (which powers the hammer) allowed him that moment to save Thor. Cap threw the hammer to Thor, he didn't go on a superhero rampage and devastate the enemy.
Basically, anyone could be deemed worthy in a time of need, but I doubt even in that scenario anyone other than Cap (and by the way he was the Captain at that time, NOT Captain America - having abandoned that identity in a a way that could be considered humility) would be afforded the same honor.

As for the movies.
They are irrelevant. There is so much they got wrong in those films I don't consider them "canon" in any way.
The_Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #20
Blindzider
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scratch View Post
Not a snowballs chance in hell.Spiderman is not worthy.

The thing with Cap being worthy is that it also means at a particular time of need. Cap cannot just pick up the hammer at any time and swing it about like a baseball club. Keep in mind, Thor was being defeated by several Gods when Cap in an act of desperation reached for the hammer and the ODINFORCE (which powers the hammer) allowed him that moment to save Thor. Cap threw the hammer to Thor, he didn't go on a superhero rampage and devastate the enemy.
Basically, anyone could be deemed worthy in a time of need, but I doubt even in that scenario anyone other than Cap (and by the way he was the Captain at that time, NOT Captain America - having abandoned that identity in a a way that could be considered humility) would be afforded the same honor.

As for the movies.
They are irrelevant. There is so much they got wrong in those films I don't consider them "canon" in any way.
Interesting. I'm not up on Thor history so I never considered that the Odinforce decides not only who is worthy but when. And I guess with Aaron's recent run, clearly you can become unworthy after wielding it for some time.