Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Just The Facts... > Collection Corner

Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
gorillawill
Doh!

New to collecting need all the info I can handle!!

I have decided to start collecting statues and figures.."I'm not quite sure the diffrence". But before I start buying figures I wanted to get all the info I can...that's where you guys come in lol. I have been surfing the Web and saw a couple custom figures that are not in production in a mass scale. So I guess I need to get all the info from the professionals. What is the difference between figures and statues, also what is the best way to figure out how big a figure will be? Is there a magazine I could buy almost like the old wizard magazine that will show me what's coming out and fair prices for current pieces. Who could I contact for a custom piece? It seems all the characters I want a piece of are not really being produced in a figure I'm liking example...Swamp thing...arkham asylum scarecrow..New 52 savage hawkman....any info guys is greatly appreciated. ......Please help!
gorillawill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
gorillawill
Doh!

Also what's the best sites to find pieces
Old 09-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

This should probably be in the General Discussion thread.

But as for finding figures, look through people's collections on here and ask them about certain pieces you are interested in finding yourself. There are pieces from all over the place across the many collections on here.

The difference between statue and figure is generally price and material. Figures tend to be an Asian produced thing and are smaller scale that are around $20-50 (sometimes there are $100 range ones, but they are fewer and farther between) and are made from plastic usually. (take a look in my collection if you want examples, I have several One Piece figures). Statues are generally heavy weight material: clay, pvc, ect, and are pricier. Also tends to be a western thing, but there are several great eastern companies that make statues as well (Kotobukiya, Good Smile Company, ect).

Look around local comic book stores and you can find some real gems, that is how I got started this year. Otherwise ebay is the goto for already released pieces.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
gorillawill
Doh!

Thanks man ill repost in general
Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
capchi3
Death is hereditary.

Basically you need to know what you like, Marvel Superheroes, DC Superheroes, Movie themes, Anime....etc. Then is comes down to what you can afford, from$10 to thousands. Good Luck!
capchi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
gorillawill
Doh!

Yeah I'm a real big fan of Swamp thing but I haven't found a piece I like
Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #7
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Here are a couple helpful links I was given when I started, so paying it forward.

Helpful for getting idea on market price for stuff: http://www.toytracker.net/weta/index.html.

For help trying to find out what kinda figures for different series are out there, since they are made by tons of companies (unlike the smaller community of statue makers): http://myfigurecollection.net.

Other than that, for keeping an eye forward just check sites like BBTS (big bad toy store) for the new release and preorder sections, and the specific statue makers' Facebook pages and of course stalk the forums here as there are many people posting news of upcoming stuff here.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote