Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 09-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Best and Least XM Favorite Statues / Concepts from STGCC

Hey everyone, now that STGCC is over, I wanted to point out what I thought were the highlights and lowlights of the STGCC show for XM studios this year. It's pretty easy to see that XM and all the sculptors associated with them are hard at work on tons of great things now and in the future.

As great as XM is and will hopefully continue to get better, there will always be things that can be improved on or be done better in the future. With that being said, I wanted to get everyone's RESPECTFUL take on what they were impressed with and not so impressed with at the show.

So I will set this up in four sections: Most Liked, Least Liked, WTH Happened, and Future Anticipated for us to talk about. If you have nothing respectful (positive or negative critiques) to say then shut your mouth because I don't think many quite want to hear ignorance spew forth. But I think I and others, and definitely XM themselves welcome comments, critiques and hopeful changes for some or all of the statues / concepts / protos shown. So without further ado.....

Most Liked

1) Darkness - Top Cow (concept / 3d render)

2) Medusa - Marvel (painted proto)

3) Black Panther - Marvel (concept)

4) Black Bolt - Marvel (painted proto)

5) Batman - DC (3d render / unpainted proto?)

6) Kraven - Marvel (unpainted proto)

7) Joker - DC (concept)

Honorable mentions: She-Hulk, Green Goblin, Venom, Dr. Strange, Doc Ock, Thor, Rhino, DD, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Thanos, 1/6 HMO Avengers, 1/4 busts (Thor and Punisher)

Least Liked

1) Harley Quinn - DC (concept)

2) Elektra - Marvel (painted proto)

3) Classic Iron Man - Marvel (unpainted proto)

I wanted to talk at length about Iron Man because this is one of my most anticpated statues to come from XM. In its current incarnation, the Iron Man is just GOOD...but it needs some CHANGES for it to be great. Firstly, the guantlets MUST come down further on his wrist. As it stands now, it looks like chicken feet and it is giving the appearance of improper anatomy of his bicep and elbow even though in reality, it is fine. This is a MUST CHANGE for me. Secondly, when looking at IM from the back, it becomes easily visible that his neck is too long. The neck needs to be shortened and maybe even thickened a little bit as well. Thirdly, although I know XM stated the base is a WIP, I just want to reiterate that the round circular part of the base is not needed. No other Avengers statue has something like that and it would not work when displaying them together in a NY fight scene. Outside of those three main issues, the statue looks Good. But this can go from just being good, to being spectacular. Take a look at Imaginariums IM to see how thick he should be. I trust XM to get it right.

WTH Happened

1) Mysterio - Marvel

I don't honestly know what the hell happened to him or why he wasn't at the show or at least shown in (3d rendered form) but this has to be the most puzzling no show down there....even moreso than the Star Wars no photo taking. This is perhaps the most impressive of all the Spiderman Villains and the one I was most anxious to see at the show.

2) Sandman - Marvel

Once again, I don't know what happened with this not even being shown in unpainted proto or at least final 3d rendering at the show. Another stellar Spidey villain that I wanted to see in person to appreciate all the details.

3) Star Wars - Disney

This was the biggest tease I have ever seen in my statue collecting life. First there was huge expectations to see the reveals of what XM was working on and if you were lucky enough to be an early bird like me, I did manage to see oh so quickly all the concepts before they were quickly removed from the web. What upset me so, was that....all the concepts looked pretty damn spectacular. I can't stress enough how awesome I think the Stormtrooper concept and Vader concept were. The Luke pilot concept appears to be awesome (Luke portrait wasn't shown at time...but sounds like it will be included).

4) Ghost Rider - Marvel

This one is surprising because it was the first exclusive statue for XM. Ghost Rider should have at least been down there in physical unpainted proto form. If it wasn't an exclusive, I would be less inclined to feel it needed to be there in physical form.

5) She-Hulk - Marvel

This is not a knock on XM at all. In fact, it's a surprise. I don't think I've ever seen a 180 on a statue simply due to a new headsculpt. Not only do I think She-Hulk was one of the most impressive at the show, I think it's without question one of the best female headsculpts I have ever seen....just as good as SS Red Sonja and just about anything from any other company I have ever seen. This took my anticipation (which was already high) through the stratosphere. Spectacular!!

Future Anticipated

Believe me, if there was more information about XMs newest license aside from the three concepts shown, they would have made my top 5 list because it looks that damn impressive for a concept. I believe it is a 1/4 new license, but little is known about FEARFUL FAIRYTALES. I am highly excited about this and the Dragon Tiger line. Its understandable not much was shown there, with the focus on Marvel related products. But these two lines are hotly anticipated, and I can only hope the Fearful Fairytales is a worldwide license.

All in all, great job XM and I look forward to what you will and can do in the future. Please get the Transformers G1 license so I can achieve a state of bliss in this hobby.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
SONICobra
Batman

im really looking forward to rhino
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
wanderlai
The Tick

I'm looking forward to winning the lottery to buy it all.
wanderlai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

There were lots of awesome pieces to choose from... However, my two top favorite painted pieces were the Black Bolt and Thanos. As an aside, I hope XM will address the gap issue between BB's arms and costume wings as the wings are supposed to be attached to the arms.

The top two prelim designs were the Namor and Black Panther. The bases for those two pieces look remarkable.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
Restinpieces
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

So many to choose from, this is tough to narrow down lol.

Top 3 Statues Displayed:
1. Iron Man Mk 7
2. Thanos
3. Blackbolt

Phoenix, Daredevil, Kraven & Medusa were also stellar

Least Favorite Statues displayed:
1. Thor
2. Elektra

Top Concepts/Renders Previewed:
1. Ghost Rider
2. Darkness
3. Batman
4. Black Panther
5. Nova
6. Joker

Least Favorite Concepts/Renders Previewed:
1. Harley
Restinpieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
There were lots of awesome pieces to choose from... However, my two top favorite painted pieces were the Black Bolt and Thanos. As an aside, I hope XM will address the gap issue between BB's arms and costume wings as the wings are supposed to be attached to the arms.
+1. Between the painted ones, BB and Thanos are my first picks (in this order).
Out of future releases, I say Batman and Namor.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #7
dechirico7
The Flash

I am not a fan of their DC concepts. Batman and Catwoman are ok, at the best. Harley, Joker and Ivy are big passes. Harley is probably the one I like the least.

I like the Witchblade-related characters like Mags and Darkness.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
AlbertR213
Sailor Moon

The three I liked best were Medusa, Black Bolt and Kraven.

Medusa's colors are so vibrant and Black Bolt I think offers a perfect contrast to that with the darkish blue.

Least favorite was Thor.....to me that is probably the most overrated statue ever. Maybe because I have the Bowen Action Thor which to me showcases the spinning hammer effect perfectly but XM's Thor just doesn't impress me at all.
AlbertR213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #9
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertR213 View Post
The three I liked best were Medusa, Black Bolt and Kraven.

Medusa's colors are so vibrant and Black Bolt I think offers a perfect contrast to that with the darkish blue.

Least favorite was Thor.....to me that is probably the most overrated statue ever. Maybe because I have the Bowen Action Thor which to me showcases the spinning hammer effect perfectly but XM's Thor just doesn't impress me at all.
I don't dislike XM's Thor but I wish they would of updated his appearance instead of keeping it so comic accurate. By keeping it comic accurate it looks like all the other Thor statues out there... They should of updated the costume like they did with most of the other Marvel characters... If any character desperately needed an update it was Thor.

As for the convention, I pretty much liked all the statues there, the ones I'm not crazy about are the Asian theme Batman statues, there just to original for my tastes, plus you add in the fact display space and money and I have to draw a line somewhere with buying XM stuff
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I said this in the STGCC Coverage thread, but the least favorite to me was between Phoenix and Thor. However, I think Thor is the winner of my least favorite. He's looking pretty generic & also looking weird body proportion-wise. I think once Phoenix gets a custom head sculpt put on her, she'll be a winner for sure. The rest of her is awesome, original, and definitely not generic in any way.

My favorite concept is the Darkness WIP.

Kraven is my favorite unpainted showing.

Thanos is my favorite finished showing with the Iron Man MK VII and Blackbolt right behind him.

All great stuff from this year.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote