Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #31
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I think Lucasfilm is in a tough spot. They want fresh talent but that talent needs to be able to co-exist in the established brand. Not every filmmaker can do that. Lucasfilm's job first and foremost is to protect the established vision. I actually find it refreshing that they're not afraid to correct a miss-step for the greater good of the end product no matter how costly or bad the PR may be after the fact.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #32
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I actually find it refreshing that they're not afraid to correct a miss-step for the greater good of the end product no matter how costly or bad the PR may be after the fact.
I totally agree with this, and I also applaud them for it. The way they've handled the director turnover on the Han Sol film has been handled really well IMO. They hired an experienced director, and have allowed him to share almost daily pics and tidbits of behind the scenes info. Given the history of secrecy regarding SW projects, this is a big sign of good will in assuring fans they are doing their best to deliver a great film.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #33
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
I actually find it refreshing that they're not afraid to correct a miss-step for the greater good of the end product no matter how costly or bad the PR may be after the fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I totally agree with this, and I also applaud them for it.
+1
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #34
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
You're kidding right? Trevorrow was coming off helming Jurassic World for Universal, which went on to earn an $1.6 billion at the worldwide box office.
Jurassic World was awful.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #35
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I think Lucasfilms wants inspired, creative and orginal directors and writers, but they must be able to work in the machine where these movies are developed communally just like Marvel movies. The movies must have consistent tone, visual language and themes.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:08 AM   #36
Luminous
Cyclops

According to a source that spoke to Vulture, Treverrow's ego may have led to his firing:

Colin Trevorrow’s Firing From Star Wars Is Another Reminder That No Director Will Ever Be Bigger Than the Franchise

“During the making of Jurassic World, he focused a great deal of his creative energies on asserting his opinion,” the executive explains. “But because he had been personally hired by Spielberg, nobody could say, ‘You’re fired.’ Once that film went through the roof and he chose to do Henry, [Trevorrow] was unbearable. He had an egotistical point of view— and he was always asserting that.”
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:44 AM   #37
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Well this sucks, loved Jurassic World. Colin got what made the first ones so much fun and I was looking forward to what he did with Star Wars. Jurassic Word had the Trex come back, good movie score, and was fast paced with fun characters and great Dino scenes. Shoot, then again who knows if he even made Jurassic World what it was...
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #38
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
Well this sucks, loved Jurassic World. Colin got what made the first ones so much fun and I was looking forward to what he did with Star Wars. Jurassic Word had the Trex come back, good movie score, and was fast paced with fun characters and great Dino scenes. Shoot, then again who knows if he even made Jurassic World what it was...
What is the Trex come back? I got a Trex deck, and it's falling apart...it ain't coming back.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #39
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Jurassic World was awful.
Ditto that thought.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #40
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
No, completely serious. Box office success doesn't automatically make him a good choice
Yes and no. It certainly grants one bragging rights.

Quote:
I'd rather see them hire a more accomplished film maker with a proven track record of makeing quality films, not just successful films.
I admire your optimist outlook. Quality over quantity eh? We are talking hollywood here, so the word "accomplished" tends to lean on box office success.

If we read between the lines, it sounds like irregardless of your earnings and reputation, if you can't kiss ass and play ball with the gatekeeper Kathleen Kennedy, then you're out.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote