Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #1501
dao2
Cyclops

Even if the books are good the author is a bit of an asshat :P But v0v, even if it follows the books most shows don't follow them to the letter (for better or worse).
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #1502
Gekon
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Now, keep in mind, this is only my opinion.....

I discovered the books after I played the game - Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. This was before I knew anything about the author and his.....negative mental disposition towards the games and CDPR.......

IMHO, the books are MASSIVELY, over rated. I persevered because I imagined that, somewhere in the text, would be the characters I came to appreciate from the game.

My problem with the books? Verbose descriptions of irrelevant "things" that seem to pander to the whims of the writer. Abstract scenes that caused me to 're read pages where the text simply stopped making coherent sense. Characters that only came to life when (mentally) superimposed against their Digital counterparts from the game.....in short, a tedious and underwhelming experience.
Author being in conflict with Cdpr somewhat affects the text he wrote? That seem like prejudice.
I don't want to convince anybody. In my opinion story arc and characters are much more complex in books than in game. Period. Cdpr adaptation was good but they got all material on the table to use.
Gekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #1503
SAB380
The X-Men

To my understanding, the authors only irritation is that the video games have overtaken the books in terms of what people consider The Witcher is ...relegating him, even though he's the creator and owner of the franchise.
I don't think he has any problem with CDProjectRed itself.

He probably has a point considering the amount of people looking at the Netflix trailer and pointing out things they got 'wrong' because its not exactly like the video game.

Personally I think each medium is slightly different and should do its own thing. Witcher3 is the best game ever, the books are good, and I'm hoping this TV show can be the next Game of Thrones and the movie star status of Cavill will hopefully draw in a ton of curious viewers.

More Witcher is good.
SAB380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:27 AM   #1504
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB380 View Post
To my understanding, the authors only irritation is that the video games have overtaken the books in terms of what people consider The Witcher is ...relegating him, even though he's the creator and owner of the franchise.
I don't think he has any problem with CDProjectRed itself.
He does actually, he said he didn't expect the games to go anywhere. So much so that when offered a % he declined and took a lump sum, then once they took off is now suing to get a % because he thinks he's owed (which unfortunately under their national law he may be, though the fact that it was offered and declined may hurt his case).

Additionally he actually has spoken poorly about the games and the medium as a whole and thinks the books would have done better had the games not come out when in fact it is the opposite.

The above is a pretty charitable description of how this salty piece of ---- is. He unashamedly talks ---- about the games when really he owes A LOT of his success to them, ---- him.
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:52 AM   #1505
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekon View Post
Author being in conflict with Cdpr somewhat affects the text he wrote? That seem like prejudice.
I don't want to convince anybody. In my opinion story arc and characters are much more complex in books than in game. Period. Cdpr adaptation was good but they got all material on the table to use.
I never wrote that the conflict between the author and CDPR affected his writing.....in fact, I indicated the complete opposite.

As Trump would say.......Fake News.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:19 AM   #1506
SAB380
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
He does actually, he said he didn't expect the games to go anywhere. So much so that when offered a % he declined and took a lump sum, then once they took off is now suing to get a % because he thinks he's owed (which unfortunately under their national law he may be, though the fact that it was offered and declined may hurt his case).

Additionally he actually has spoken poorly about the games and the medium as a whole and thinks the books would have done better had the games not come out when in fact it is the opposite.

The above is a pretty charitable description of how this salty piece of ---- is. He unashamedly talks ---- about the games when really he owes A LOT of his success to them, ---- him.
Interesting info, thanks.
SAB380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #1507
gs013564
Justice League

I'll wade into this one as well.

The books are a *bit* overrated, but by no means are they terrible. I only know English so I've had to rely on others for this bit of knowledge, but apparently, they are much better in the Polish language and other languages due to Sapkowski's ability to turn a phrase (so to speak). Apparently, there's a bit lost in translation, at least for the English version.

I, too, came to the books after playing Witcher 1 and 2. I started reading the books parallel to playing the games and on into 3 because I wanted to get the full experience. I'm actually reading through the books again and I have to say that I agree with Silas. I'm constantly superimposing the way the characters look in CPDRs interpretation vs. how I thought they might look from the books alone. If I had read the books first, then frankly, I would have put them at a mediocre dark fantasy. GOT they are not.

The TV show is it's own adaptation. And I wish it much success. But for me, the books and the games will always be my interpretation. Oh, and to be clear, the games butcher some aspects of the books lore by having some rather significant lore conflicts. So from a lore perspective, there's really not a great continuity even with the books and games.

That's all I got.
gs013564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #1508
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

I'm torn on the Witcher's casting of Triss. I was looking forward to a show with an easy on the eyes redhead. On the other hand, Anna Shaffer ain't bad herself.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #1509
gs013564
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
I'm torn on the Witcher's casting of Triss. I was looking forward to a show with an easy on the eyes redhead. On the other hand, Anna Shaffer ain't bad herself.
I think the trailer was an unflattering angle plus terrible lighting. Guess we shall see though.
gs013564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #1510
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

+1 it's a shame Sapkowski got the Netflix series instead of CD Projekt Red...

As far as books go, I found the book "The World of the Witcher: Video Game Compendium" by CDPR quite enjoyable...
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote