Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 07-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #31
gammaguy
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Actually, I always thought this image was just plain ridiculous, even when I first bought this issue. Sure, the Hulk's strength in theory is supposed to be limitless but it starts at around 85 tons when he's calm. Being able to support this kind of weight (150 billion tons!) is pushing the bounds of even what a Marvel comic can credibly do.

For me, the coolest image was when he knocked the Abomination's left eye clean out of his head.

Alright guys, let's get rid of this 85 tons - 100 tons crap. For example...Sasquatch is supposed to be able to lift 70 tons and if this were true then he would only be able to lift an M1 Abrams tank, but in The Incredible Hulk Annual #8 Sasquatch is shown lifting a fully loaded destroyer battleship out of the water long enough for it to be repaired, and a fully loaded battleship weighs 120,000 tons.
At any rate, The Hulk holding up that mountain range is tops on my list.
gammaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #32
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaguy View Post
Alright guys, let's get rid of this 85 tons - 100 tons crap. For example...Sasquatch is supposed to be able to lift 70 tons and if this were true then he would only be able to lift an M1 Abrams tank, but in The Incredible Hulk Annual #8 Sasquatch is shown lifting a fully loaded destroyer battleship out of the water long enough for it to be repaired, and a fully loaded battleship weighs 120,000 tons.
Well, what's one person's crap is the parameters of another person's universe. It's not quite as ludicrous for Sasquatch to lift a 120 ton battleship if his upper limit is around 70 tons (per http://www.marveldirectory.com/indiv.../sasquatch.htm) than Hulk's pressing 150 billion tons.

Sorry, I know it's comics and at the end of the day it's not going to impact my relationship with my wife or my ability to pay my mortgage, but not even the Hulk should be able to do that. Just plain bad writing.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #33
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaguy View Post
A "modern" Canadian destroyer is only about 5000 tons. Since the ship was still partly in the water, Sasquatch only needed to lift part of it onto the shore.

Sasquatch is a really bad example when it comes to strength as during his first appearances he was shown to be doing some stunts that were very "Hulk-like", such as the Destroyer or throwing around DC-10s. In later appearances, one of the Infinity Crusade
issues he was "nowhere near as strong as the Thing".
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #34
LoD
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
Him holding up that mountain range in the Secret Wars will forever be etched in my mind.

my first thought as well
LoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #35
sons of set
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Ugh. I used to enjoy this character, much like Wolverine. Now they are gods disguised as heroes. Damn, there are times when I don't even know if Thor is as strong as these guys.

I miss the days when a Thing-Hulk fight carried substance and Wolverine took an issue or two to fully heal from massive or critical damage. Thanks.
sons of set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #36
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sons of set View Post
I miss the days when a Thing-Hulk fight carried substance and Wolverine took an issue or two to fully heal from massive or critical damage. Thanks.
Amen to that brother!
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #37
Moogled
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Cool, I never read the older Hulk comics.

150 billion tons!
Moogled is offline   Reply With Quote