Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #51
outlikealight
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

This is a great topic and I was wondering when it would come up. I have shown a few of the pieces I own on this site and not really anywhere else. I have gone back and forth on putting stuff on my CAF gallery and have held off for now. Not really sure of the exact reason why.

Couple possible reasons

I have a few artists that I really, really like. I am actively trying to pry several pieces out of certain collections. I don't really want these people to a) know I love this artist and b) have any indication of my financial means. If they could look at my collection they may increase the asking price.

I also know that a few other people collect this same artists work. To be honest I view them as direct competition. I prefer to remain anonymous until I manage to get 1 or 2 more of the pieces I really want.
If any of these do come up for grabs I'm going fast and hard for them. Hopefully I will get it and someone else will be left grasping air.

I know........ sounds goofy.

A second possible reason is I recently discovered someone I really like. I think his art rocks. In the last two months I pulled in 6 of his covers for very reasonable prices. I have not posted a single one because there are two more covers I really want and I don't want anyone else to get them or have it turn into a bidding war. Maybe I'm being paranoid. Maybe not.

I can tell you this. There are a lot of spectacular pieces that are not being shown by the owners.
outlikealight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #52
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlikealight View Post
This is a great topic and I was wondering when it would come up. I have shown a few of the pieces I own on this site and not really anywhere else. I have gone back and forth on putting stuff on my CAF gallery and have held off for now. Not really sure of the exact reason why.

Couple possible reasons

I have a few artists that I really, really like. I am actively trying to pry several pieces out of certain collections. I don't really want these people to a) know I love this artist and b) have any indication of my financial means. If they could look at my collection they may increase the asking price.

I also know that a few other people collect this same artists work. To be honest I view them as direct competition. I prefer to remain anonymous until I manage to get 1 or 2 more of the pieces I really want.
If any of these do come up for grabs I'm going fast and hard for them. Hopefully I will get it and someone else will be left grasping air.

A second possible reason is I recently discovered someone I really like. I think his art rocks. In the last two months I pulled in 6 of his covers for very reasonable prices. I have not posted a single one because there are two more covers I really want and I don't want anyone else to get them or have it turn into a bidding war. Maybe I'm being paranoid. Maybe not.

I can tell you this. There are a lot of spectacular pieces that are not being shown by the owners.
Very interesting and I think you bring up some valid points. If you were to post the art you have it could create additional competition for yourself.

Now I'm feeling paranoid.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #53
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:

Couple possible reasons

It's an additional perspective to this discussion which very much makes sense.
Clearly, this isn't an "either or" issue.
Good post!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #54
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

nope, I don't keep anything secret by design ... but I also don't have a CAF. If I don't post something shortly after acquiring I don't usually get around to it.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #55
Tattoo-X

Wink

I'm keeping my design ideas secret because I'm paranoid. Especially after Mike said one of his ideas turned up somewhere. IMO, I have a few great ideas, and I'd hate to have someone else score first. Odds are, if I had mentioned my Yoda/Chewie fastball special, I may have missed out on it. Or maybe not. Maybe I'm Tim's second favorite.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #56
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:

Couple possible reasons

Being the premier Spider-Woman collector... It does work against you sometimes. But then again if everyone can see Marvelboi77 winning every Spider-Woman page. Whether I post them or not they know it's going to the same person. It does create higher prices. But the up side is I have aquired alot of art because they have come to me first.

Even though I love Spider-Woman I will not be mugged by anyone. I don't mind over paying a little. But I'm not the kind of guy who gets something just because they love it. I don't want to spend 15k on a cover that's worth 2k. I would rather do without.

I just recently got 10 Dazzler pages from issue 15. They have Spider-Woman on it, and I got them for a great deal. I got them because the guy saw my CAF, and wanted them to go to a good home. I have probably got 25% of my collection from people emailing me. This would not have happened if I did not post them.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #57
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Being the premier Spider-Woman collector... It does work against you sometimes. But then again if everyone can see Marvelboi77 winning every Spider-Woman page. Whether I post them or not they know it's going to the same person. It does create higher prices. But the up side is I have aquired alot of art because they have come to me first.

Even though I love Spider-Woman I will not be mugged by anyone. I don't mind over paying a little. But I'm not the kind of guy who gets something just because they love it. I don't want to spend 15k on a cover that's worth 2k. I would rather do without.

I just recently got 10 Dazzler pages from issue 15. They have Spider-Woman on it, and I got them for a great deal. I got them because the guy saw my CAF, and wanted them to go to a good home. I have probably got 25% of my collection from people emailing me. This would not have happened if I did not post them.
Bingo. I can't tell you how many times I've been offered Ron Lim or Giorgio Comolo artwork simply because people see that I like them. And to be honest, because I DO have so much already, people don't try to rip me off since they know I'm not going to do it.

Posting my artwork helps me get the good stuff.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #58
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Posting my artwork helps me get the good stuff.
hmmm, sounds like I need to get a CAF up!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 AM   #59
rolleypolley18
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Hey bros,

Great topic! I think this a wonderful discussion and I can see reasons why people would and would not want to show their art work. This being said, I take the stance of taking joy in showcasing the pieces no matter how small,large,cheap, or expensive they may be.

As stated by some of you, art is something to be enjoyed. Some of the pieces we see from museums around the world are from collectors who were gracious and wonderful enough to show their art to the world. What's better than being able enjoy art more intimately than seeing the originals?

It's a visual medium that stimulates our senses and gives us comfort. I can't tell you how many times I'm floored and thankful that some of you guys post your art pieces on CAF. It's a real pleasure. I hope we get more people to sign up to CAF so they can show more of their art. For all of you that share this passion with me
rolleypolley18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #60
Royd
Producer
Producer

While I may not subscribe to this point of view, I can understand it Best,

Royd

Quote:

Couple possible reasons

Royd is offline   Reply With Quote