Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #31
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Liked all of those myself. MI:3 being the best in it's franchise, IMO of course.
I did too. Add in the fact they did pretty well at the box office and received positive reviews (except for Viper245) might be why he was tapped for this one.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #32
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
I'll give you three:

Super 8
Star Trek Into Darkness
Mission Impossible III
All excellent films. You may want to stay away from his new Star Wars then. Seems you're simply not a fan.

Like all films, Abrams' movies can't please everyone, but the man doesn't have a single "bad" one in his resume.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #33
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
All excellent films. You may want to stay away from his new Star Wars then. Seems you're simply not a fan.

Like all films, Abrams' movies can't please everyone, but the man doesn't have a single "bad" one in his resume.
The films I listed are descent films imo. Definitely not his best work. I do plan to see the new Star Wars film in the theater especially after seeing the latest trailer because it looks fantastic! To be clear, I am not an Abrams hater. I just don't put him on a pedestal like some do.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #34
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
The films I listed are descent films imo. Definitely not his best work. I do plan to see the new Star Wars film in the theater especially after seeing the latest trailer because it looks fantastic! To be clear, I am not an Abrams hater. I just don't put him on a pedestal like some do.
I guess it depends on your definition of stellar. You said he had his fair share of less than stellar films and I couldn't think of one. Each film on his resume is largely well received and they all performed well at the box office.

Good to see you're still interested in seeing Star Wars. I think it's going to be epic.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #35
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I'm just interested to see exactly how many lens flares are involved in a lightsaber battle.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #36
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKni9hT View Post
I'm just interested to see exactly how many lens flares are involved in a lightsaber battle.
If an over use of lens flare is the only thing people can criticize him for then I'd say he's definitely doing something right. I'll take "too much lens flare" over poor choice in actors, soundtrack, bad pacing, poor editing, bad choice in script, bad chemistry with actors and crew, you know... just being a bad directior. Since Abrams isn't exactly known for any of those things he can be my wingman anytime.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #37
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
If an over use of lens flare is the only thing people can criticize him for then I'd say he's definitely doing something right. I'll take "too much lens flare" over poor choice in actors, soundtrack, bad pacing, poor editing, bad choice in script, bad chemistry with actors and crew, you know... just being a bad directior. Since Abrams isn't exactly known for any of those things he can be my wingman anytime.
Sounds like you are describing McG there.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #38
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post
The words Return and Sith have been used in titles before, so they likely won't be repeated this time.
Think of it this way:

The Phantom Menace ----------- refers to the Sith
Attack of the Clones ====== about the beginning of the Empire
Revenge of the Sith ====== about the Sith's ultimate rise to power with the Empire as their army

A new Hope ====== Luke a future Jedi, and hope for all the galaxy to defeat the Sith and the Empire
The Empire Strikes Back ------- refers to the Emperor and Vader's plans to stop the rebellion and Luke
Return of the Jedi ----------- Luke becomes a Jedi, the Sith are defeated, Empire is defeated

The Force Awakens ------------- everything starts over with a new Sith enemy and return of some form of the Empire (I'm guessing from the trailers)

If the Sith are defeated in the Force awakens, they'll have to come back even stronger in episode 8 because the Sith are the ones who use the dark side of the Force and it being awakened, there will be a struggle between it's 2 sides. I think the title "the Force Awakens" means that as long as the Force is awakened, the 2 sides will struggle as they always have. It is the Dark side of the Force that will bring about more Sith to wield it's power. It makes sense that episode 8 will not be centering on the empire returning to power, but rather a stronger Sith enemy must rise, one that once again threatens the galaxy, and more importantly threatens to destroy any Jedi. I expect part 8 to have the word Sith in the title. We'll see.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #39
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Yeah the title could definitely refer to the Sith but without actually using that exact word, similar to the examples you mentioned before.
Spideristic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #40
johnclone
The Enchantress

Hmmm

They've yet to have "the Dark Side" in a title, maybe that might work. Or they could use an apostrophe and go with something like "the Dark Side's Power" or something like that.

Episode 8 : The Power of the Dark Side

Probably too many "the"s

Are you aware that there is a youtube fan film from years ago that was titled "The Force Awakens"?
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote