Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 04-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #41
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
whats this budget you speak of...?

LOL... Budget is something I play fast and loose with. I do need to write it down stick to it myself. So as long as I'm in my budget it doesn't matter what i get cause the money is set aside for that. Alot of great discussion in here guys! thanks!
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #42
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
LOL... Budget is something I play fast and loose with. I do need to write it down stick to it myself. So as long as I'm in my budget it doesn't matter what i get cause the money is set aside for that. Alot of great discussion in here guys! thanks!
It's something us poor folk need to make sure we pay the bills and not live in a box fort.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #43
NinNin
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I'm relatively new to the 1/4 game so I'm not as disciplined as I would like to be. I'm much more picky (cheap) when it comes to my anime related figures and those cost considerably less, but I've been collecting them for years so I have a lot of them.

My collecting philosophy for 1/4 statues is to mainly focus on Marvel, and DC with a few exceptions. The things I need represented in my collection are X-Men, Avengers, and the Justice League. I'm a huge Spider-Man and Batman fan so I decided to pick up select characters related to them as well.

I consider the one Vader statue I have on order to be an exception since it's a one off and the only character I like enough to buy a statue of from Star Wars. Since Beast Wars was such an integral part of my childhood I do have the Prime 1 Optimus on order and will get the Megatron they've showed, but only those two. Lastly the Bounties of Bathos line from HMO caught my attention so I plan on getting those pieces because it's a very appealing original IP to me, but I'll admit it may be the first thing I drop if necessary.

I must admit I've ended up purchasing statues of characters that I hadn't planned on getting originally. I was never going to pick up XMs Thanos, but I damn sure preordered the sideshow Maquette. Likewise I never thought I'd want a Ghost Rider statue until I saw what XM did with theirs and I had to have it. That Optimus Prime by XM? You better believe I want it, but I'm going to practice some self restraint and pass. Have to start somewhere lol.
NinNin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:44 PM   #44
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinNin View Post
I'm relatively new to the 1/4 game so I'm not as disciplined as I would like to be. I'm much more picky (cheap) when it comes to my anime related figures and those cost considerably less, but I've been collecting them for years so I have a lot of them.

My collecting philosophy for 1/4 statues is to mainly focus on Marvel, and DC with a few exceptions. The things I need represented in my collection are X-Men, Avengers, and the Justice League. I'm a huge Spider-Man and Batman fan so I decided to pick up select characters related to them as well.

I consider the one Vader statue I have on order to be an exception since it's a one off and the only character I like enough to buy a statue of from Star Wars. Since Beast Wars was such an integral part of my childhood I do have the Prime 1 Optimus on order and will get the Megatron they've showed, but only those two. Lastly the Bounties of Bathos line from HMO caught my attention so I plan on getting those pieces because it's a very appealing original IP to me, but I'll admit it may be the first thing I drop if necessary.

I must admit I've ended up purchasing statues of characters that I hadn't planned on getting originally. I was never going to pick up XMs Thanos, but I damn sure preordered the sideshow Maquette. Likewise I never thought I'd want a Ghost Rider statue until I saw what XM did with theirs and I had to have it. That Optimus Prime by XM? You better believe I want it, but I'm going to practice some self restraint and pass. Have to start somewhere lol.
The Iron Studios Vader? I'm in the exact same boat. Had to have it.

XM's making it extremely difficult to not collect Marvel, but resistance is a matter of collector's survival in my case. I like too much of the smaller scale DC Collectibles and Kotobukiya stuff in addition to the 1:4+, which eats up space and money just as fast, if not faster.

That said, while I'm limiting collecting lines to just DC (I wish I could swing the Bounties of Bathos) I still leave room for standalone exceptions like the movie actor and actress Blitzway pieces. Surprises of that quality are half the fun for me.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #45
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:

I'm pretty sure quite a few of us started that way, especially when we went to 1/4 scale. I think the reason being is once you get one it opens a door, to wanting all your favorites in that size. And once you make a list of everything you want in that scale, and realize they are available from one company or another, or even through customs, you tend to try and snatch up as many as you can.

Once you've burned through quite a bit of what's out there that you want you'll slow down, and from there make the choices you need to make. I was ordering 4-5 statues a year, now I'm down to about 2-3, shortly I imagine it'll be 1-2 until I've completed as much as I can or I'm completely priced out, either way I have a decent enough collection at 1/4 scale that I'm pretty happy at the moment. I'm sure you'll have the same.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #46
NinNin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
The Iron Studios Vader? I'm in the exact same boat. Had to have it.

XM's making it extremely difficult to not collect Marvel, but resistance is a matter of collector's survival in my case. I like too much of the smaller scale DC Collectibles and Kotobukiya stuff in addition to the 1:4+, which eats up space and money just as fast, if not faster.

Yup the Iron Studios Vader. I'm with you on the smaller scale stuff. I'm still buying 1/7 and 1/8 Anime figures. Koto is part of the problem there for me as well. They make it hard to resist them especially when they start pumping out Fullmetal Alchemist figures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I'm pretty sure quite a few of us started that way, especially when we went to 1/4 scale. I think the reason being is once you get one it opens a door, to wanting all your favorites in that size. And once you make a list of everything you want in that scale, and realize they are available from one company or another, or even through customs, you tend to try and snatch up as many as you can.

Once you've burned through quite a bit of what's out there that you want you'll slow down, and from there make the choices you need to make. I was ordering 4-5 statues a year, now I'm down to about 2-3, shortly I imagine it'll be 1-2 until I've completed as much as I can or I'm completely priced out, either way I have a decent enough collection at 1/4 scale that I'm pretty happy at the moment. I'm sure you'll have the same.
Yeah the floodgates have been opened and I definitely have a list of what characters I want and what company I want to buy them from. I'm glad I got into statues now because even though the prices are high it's nice having all these companies to choose from. I'm looking forward to slowing down because my preorder list just keeps growing lol.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #47
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Yup the Iron Studios Vader. I'm with you on the smaller scale stuff. I'm still buying 1/7 and 1/8 Anime figures. Koto is part of the problem there for me as well. They make it hard to resist them especially when they start pumping out Fullmetal Alchemist figures...
I used every ounce of willpower to resist that ArtFX J Edward. It's one thing to get pulled into another line for a property I love as much as FMA, but it's another to be potentially hooked on direct-order exclusives as pivotal as the base and switch out options for him were. I might still get the Cowboy Bebop ones since I can live without the extras on Spike.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:43 PM   #48
NinNin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
I used every ounce of willpower to resist that ArtFX J Edward. It's one thing to get pulled into another line for a property I love as much as FMA, but it's another to be potentially hooked on direct-order exclusives as pivotal as the base and switch out options for him were. I might still get the Cowboy Bebop ones since I can live without the extras on Spike.
LMAO. Not to derail the topic, but all I'll say is Koto sure pissed a lot of people off with the exclusives on Ed. Talk about ex or fail. People think Sideshow is bad. They're pretty tame compared to the stunts Kotobukiya have pulled with their exclusives lately.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #49
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Talking

Quote:
LMAO. Not to derail the topic, but all I'll say is Koto sure pissed a lot of people off with the exclusives on Ed. Talk about ex or fail. People think Sideshow is bad. They're pretty tame compared to the stunts Kotobukiya have pulled with their exclusives lately.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:24 AM   #50
gaijin
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

It's all psychological... if I break the price barrier per item, anything else becomes affordable.

Eg if I start buying Sideshow Thanos, then prime1 and XM studios become possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaGrin View Post
Or just buy half as many, then you can up your limit to 1600

With the many sporadic statue/collectibles releases over time, it's not possible to have an annual budget. Once again, it's psychological.. if I can break the price barrier per item, i can also break the annual budget and lie to myself, I have a 2-year to 10-year etc. budget and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
- Make a list of all the characters you want to collect
- Have a yearly budget for collecting
- Stick to 1 and 2 as close as you can

You are in the right mindset for this hobby

Quote:
gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote