Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > Erick Sosa

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #101
Veritas
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrillj View Post
Edited by Rocket (This is totally inappropriate).
What truth? We aren't discussing legal license or copyright infringment here, we are talking about an individual artist having the right to bring attention to the fact that they have creative investment and personal ownership in how said subject matter is portrayed. We are not discussing mass production or underground kit sales here. None of the pieces posted in any subsection on this forum are listed for sale.
The fact is, that the artwork created and posted here are the artistic and creative property of the artist... The "idea" is the individual interpretation of the artist. Reproducing the exact piece...infact using the exact piece as a reference clearly demonstrates stealing- as the interpretaion of the subject matter (regardless of protected status) is the intellectual property of the individual artist who put the time, effort and imagination into the interpretation of the subject.

Sorry to disagree with you...

Last edited by Rocket; 10-27-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #102
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Let's keep it nice and civil.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #103
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
Let's keep it nice and civil.
Civility makes for a boring read.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #104
rychehitman
Galactus

I thought for sure the drama that was in the bd section would reappear in the cooking section of the forum. I never expected it to land in the sculpting section!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #105
Veritas
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I blame Erick. He's an instigator!

And wise enough to avoid further participation.

I'm just bored tonight 'cause Raphael is in the oven...
Old 10-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #106
Devils Drifter
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post

verjoyed:
Old 10-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #107
rychehitman
Galactus

So just to kick this around some more so V isn't too bored while the turtle cooks...

Do you realize how many pieces of art or historical documents are copied so that the might be displayed while the original is preserved? If I go to see the Mona Lisa and am awed by the beauty of the piece and find out a year later it was not the original was I any less awed? If there is a one of a kind historical sculpt should it not be recasted in an effort to preserve it's beauty and ensure future generations can view it? Lastly, per capita doesn't it seem like there are a he'll of a lot of people with sculpting talent in the Phillipines and Brazil compared to the same area in ...say...Utah maybe? Or Sweden? What the hell is up with that???
Old 10-27-2010, 12:13 AM   #108
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
Civility makes for a boring read.
Sorry, gotta maintain some sort of order.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #109
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
Sorry, gotta maintain some sort of order.
Since when? :tounge:
Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #110
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post

Oh no I am here... this is not about the long time discussion in regards to copy written characters... those tow sculpts were 99.99% carbon copies of the originals.... that is not cool.... I wouldn't mind if someone copied one of my characters, and it has happened, someone did a very good copy of my turtle monster kit... I have no issue with it, so long as A) the sculptor gives credit to the original source ( in my case I don't care if they don't, I am just flattered that someone would like my work enough to copy it) and B) so long as this very god copy, doesn't get sold..thus affecting my sales.... that would would be detrimental to future sales.... if I like a statue that for example Ray Villafane did, I will certainly steal some elements, and filter them through my own perception of what I'd like to do with the core idea of said sculpt.... the final result although similar would become my own in a way..... I am always borrowing elements from both 2-D and 3-D artists.... but to make an exact carbon copy with hopes to beating the original artist to the punch would not be cool.... I remember once a certain prortrait sculptor had already started selling a portrait I had already shown in a very early stage.. I just waited until he had sold a few, and then proceeded to sell mine months later.... that is it.... needless to say the other guy's work was better than mine
Closed Thread