Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #21
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Great collection Mirrapro1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMan View Post
Well then I guess when I put up a few Dell'Otto's next week, you guys won't have to look!
Mitch I.
Wow this is an old thread. Not only did I look but I also bought one from Mitch when he listed them:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=288573

and my only other piece by Gab:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=428200
Old 04-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #22
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I really wanted a nice Gab Hulk but prices went up when the "for sale with no problems" guy started selling everything and jacked the prices sky high. It's an itch I was never able to scratch.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #23
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I hear ya Dave. Thankfully I got my 2 pieces when I did. I wouldn't bother trying now at today's prices.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #24
risingstar
Jedi Order

Awesome Mirrapro!

I was lucky enough to acquire this Doctor Strange acrylic painting by Gabriele Dell'Otto some years ago. The widescreen landscape image of the sorcerer supreme is 27 inches long. I still can't believe I own it. If you wish, you may click on the bar above the image to get a larger scale view.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...703&GSub=20801
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #25
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I'm more and more amazed each time I see that Dr. Strange piece. I'm shocked the original owner was willing to let it go. I guess I could say the same for the original owner that let the Silver Surfer piece I have go. I can't imagine parting with it anytime soon.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:15 AM   #26
J-M-T
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrapro1 View Post
I just dig really hard on eBay and online to European shops. All of these I acquired in few months for a good price:

Are those prints/lithographs?
J-M-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #27
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I believe those are prints, i seem to recall seeing them on the print section.

I love dell'otto never had a chance to meet in him person but i have been able to get 2 piece from him. My goal is to get a published piece from him but man those are getting crazy in prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dell'otto Hulk sketch Cover.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	1,013.2 KB
ID:	103997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dellotto-Gambit from NYCC.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	103998  
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #28
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I'm not certain how accurate this is, but I've heard it from four people on separate occasions, so I'm inclined to believe there's some merit: Gab's "rep" is not actually his rep. I'm told he buys Gab's artwork very cheap, and then flips it to the mailing list. I've had some very questionable experiences with him myself. It would be great to be able to buy Gab's art directly -- and it would be of great benefit to him, but the guy is pretty inaccessible unless you're in Italy.

Separate from that: Correct, the above wall is all prints.
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #29
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Machismo View Post
I'm not certain how accurate this is, but I've heard it from four people on separate occasions, so I'm inclined to believe there's some merit: Gab's "rep" is not actually his rep. I'm told he buys Gab's artwork very cheap, and then flips it to the mailing list.
This is pretty much the prevailing wisdom when it comes to Gab and his art. I don't know if it has been confirmed by anyone with first hand knowledge/experience but I have heard it so many times that there has to be some truth in the story. I would love to hear the numbers in terms of what this guy pays when he buys from Gab. If it is true that the guy is just making a huge markup on Gab, I have a hard time understanding why it has been allowed to go on for so long with nobody stepping up and really helping Gab realize greater prices on his work. I have to think there is more to this than it appears on the surface.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #30
risingstar
Jedi Order

I imagine Dell'Otto has been repeatedly approached by American agents over the past 15 years. It would appear that he has zero interest in taking this route. I may be wrong but I think the problem with the person selling his artwork now is that he asks to be paid via bank wire transfer, sometimes in installments in order to avoid paying Italian taxes. However, there are no protections for the buyer, and the asking dollar amounts are sometimes in the 5 figures. Still, I have yet to hear of him running away with anyone's cash.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote