Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-01-2020, 07:44 PM   #611
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. Just finished Books 1-3 which contain issues 1-54. Amazing stuff here. If you haven't read it, give it a chance.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #612
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Action Comics/Superman since Bendis started as the writer - 2/10.

Bendis was great on Alias and Daredevil. His run on Avengers was pretty ground breaking and I really enjoyed it. But Superman, like Fantastic Four, really suffers when the writer just is not a good fit for and/or just doesn’t understand the core characters.

Enter Bendis. His plotting, story progression, character development and writing style just is a complete mismatch for Superman. He’s boring, plodding and dull here. The sooner he’s off these books the better.

IMHO.
I am actually enjoying his Superman and Action run. I do think that the revealing of the Secret Identity will be reversed either at the end of his run or when a new team takes over.

I only hope that he does not stay too long at the party though. I think he was on the Avengers books way too long and I would be fine if he remained on the title for another year and then depart (I also like the fact that he said that when he wanted to take over the books that he wanted them on a monthly only schedule and not twice a month. I think more books need to do that.)
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #613
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Action Comics/Superman since Bendis started as the writer - 2/10.

Bendis was great on Alias and Daredevil. His run on Avengers was pretty ground breaking and I really enjoyed it. But Superman, like Fantastic Four, really suffers when the writer just is not a good fit for and/or just doesn’t understand the core characters.

Enter Bendis. His plotting, story progression, character development and writing style just is a complete mismatch for Superman. He’s boring, plodding and dull here. The sooner he’s off these books the better.

IMHO.
I highlighted because I started to read the Mark Waid run of the FF which is hailed as one of the best and embodies the spirit of the Kirby/Lee run. I must confess I only read the first 3 issues but man it just reminds me of a middling family superhero show that would be on TGIF on ABC in the 90's. It's just missing the laugh track. I was a teenager in the 90's and I wouldn't have like this then. I think this was aimed at those that loved the OG run from their childhood in the 60's (I wasn't even born). So before I get too off track. I think the family dynamic of the FF is important and Superman strong moral compass is important to that character. But copying the tone of those original runs from the 50's and 60's for me sometimes miss the mark. So not to derail the thread totally. I'm enjoying immortal Hulk (I know me and everyone else).
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #614
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Irredeemable volumes 1-5 literally a "what if superman went bad" series....8/10
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:05 PM   #615
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
I highlighted because I started to read the Mark Waid run of the FF which is hailed as one of the best and embodies the spirit of the Kirby/Lee run. I must confess I only read the first 3 issues but man it just reminds me of a middling family superhero show that would be on TGIF on ABC in the 90's. It's just missing the laugh track. I was a teenager in the 90's and I wouldn't have like this then. I think this was aimed at those that loved the OG run from their childhood in the 60's (I wasn't even born). So before I get too off track. I think the family dynamic of the FF is important and Superman strong moral compass is important to that character. But copying the tone of those original runs from the 50's and 60's for me sometimes miss the mark. So not to derail the thread totally. I'm enjoying immortal Hulk (I know me and everyone else).
Interesting. I think Waid’s run on FF was terrific and highly innovative. Your choice but I think you should give it more than 3 issues. As to Immortal Hulk, personally, I read the first 10 issues and stopped. It just didn’t hold my interest.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:07 PM   #616
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Donny Cates’ Thor, first six issue arc, really finished strong. Have to admit, not a big fan of this artist, felt this arc could have taken another few issues to make the resolution feel less rushed, and Thor’s big revelation felt a bit like pandering to the MCU. But, that said, it really stuck with me.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:14 AM   #617
Vracula
Jedi Order

Joker HC - Brian Azzarello /Lee Bermejo
Batman Damned - “/“
9/10 for me.

I mean the art is without question eye watering good. Bermejo’s Gothic style really does it for me. Joker especially is absolutely amazing, I refuse to beleive that TDK didn't base Ledgers Joker look on this art. Although this Joker is easily the Darkest form of this charachter I have ever read, and I love it. And perfect antithesis to Batman. Damned wasn’t as good but it wrapped it up real well and the writing was entertaining.

After reading these I had to order the statues. The story is going to stick with me like any good Batman story.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #618
Asgard
Deadman

Need a little help.

I have read:
- The Last Hope 1 and 2 (Rating 7/10)
- X-Men - Second Coming (Rating 7/10)

In a fight, Magik is drawn into the limbo. Is there a comic about how it goes on with her?

Why did the mutants lose their powers? Ok, it must have something to do with the Scarlett Witch. Is the Comic "House of M" the prelude to Cable and Hope?
Asgard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #619
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

IDW collection Transformers (Phase 1), vol. 1-3 was good. (: But i really started to have serious problem following the vol. 4... Is this comics written for geniouses or something ?

There was like 4 different planets that the story took place in vol. 4, i only remember, ofcourse The Earth and an Alien Planet called Corto-Vaz... and also story took place in a space ship and somewhere called dead space... But as you can see, i'm kind of lost and can't even name two of the planets... Jugling between all those 6 different places were hard to follow for my poor brain. I wish i was a genious... :/
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 06:50 AM   #620
Asgard
Deadman

I'm currently reading Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection.

That starts at the very beginning. The stories are simple and straightforward. The characters are lovingly described.

Each villain explains exactly what he is doing

But most of all I like the drawings
Asgard is online now   Reply With Quote