Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

New Marvel Movie News

One can only hope for the quality...especially on Cap and Dr. Strange...

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...9/06/index.htm
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
fossa

Cloak & Dagger?
Power Pack??
Ant-Man???

cool update, thanX!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #3
J Storm
Birdman

Quote:
The 10 Marvel properties in the arrangement are Captain America, The Avengers, Nick Fury, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Cloak & Dagger, Doctor Strange, Hawkeye, Power Pack and Shang-Chi. Each film is expected to have a budget of up to $165 million dollars and a rating no more restrictive than PG-13.
Who the hell is Shang-Chi???Are they kidding???Antman? Power Pack? Jesus Christ, no Iron Man???I can see it now, another Capt America with new rubber ears & David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury again...what a waste of money, except Black Panther (I see Wesley Snipes doing this too).
J Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:24 PM   #4
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

What is Marvel smokin'? Realistically, the only one that would be anywhere near a $165 mil budget movie would be the Avengers (and I couldn't imagine the stockholders going for that -- not to mention rights to at least two of the heavy hitters -- Cap and Iron Man, and maybe Thor, are granted to other companies, so I don't think they could be in the movie unless a special deal was cut. I couldn't see them spending more than $50 on Strange and Black Panther (if that). How much would a Dr. Strange really be able to gross domestic, maybe $100 million, and Black Panther at best would only do Blade box office. The others all sound like direct-to-DVD. Power Pack could go the Spy Kids route (but that Lava Girl Shark Boy flick bombed). And could anyone imagine spending X-Men level money on Cloak & Dagger, Ant Man, and Shang Chi? I know these are beloved characters for comic readers, but c'mon.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Iron Man and Cap film rights are already with other companies. I'm pretty sure Thor is as well. They keep trying to get an Iron Man movie off the ground (at one point Tom Cruise was attached, now it's just languishing in development heck). Cap is on an even slower track.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana P.
All valid points. And, if Thor and Iron Man are and Cap and Hawkeye are not part of the Avengers movie, who the hell is left? Black Knight? Vision? Scarlet Witch? Wow, there's a smash hit at the box office. Yeah right.

The characters that Marvel needs to do, that haven't been filmed yet, are Captain America and Iron Man. Both could be done very well, with great stories and effects. Thor is a risk, I fear. I don't think they could pull it off. No way.
If Jackman could do Lord of the Rings then someone should be able to do Thor and do him right. I'd love to see this!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #7
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
I think Power Pack could be neat for the kids......Cloak and Dagger could be cool too. Avengers.........the scale of that makes me wonder...............Will have to see......I hope they all don't turn out like Daredevil, Elektra and the Hulk..........
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:38 AM   #8
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

With Power Pack you aren't missing much at all, Shang-Chi is cool though.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:51 AM   #9
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

On their own, there are ways to make all of these movies really great. There's a strong concept you can develop with each of them (except maybe Hawkeye - superb character as he is, the main string to his bow is his interaction with more powerful heroes. Avengers is the place for him.) Ant-Man could have some interesting effects we've not seen in a super-hero film, and Hank is a complex and unique character (just as long as it's not Rick Moranis stars as Hank Pym in 'Honey, I shrunk the superhero'!). If they stuck with the personality problems and self-esteem issues they could deliver a really good film. The teen runaways angle means Cloak and Dagger could be cool with the right script. Shang-Chi is just a name they could hang on another martial arts film, and we know how popular they are.

The trouble is the key phrase in my opening sentence is "on their own". Coming in a glut of superhero movies, all they are going to received is critical malaise and sad fanboy scepticism, no matter how good they are.

I still wish more Marvel movies were animated in the traditional hand-drawn style. I'd love a set of comic-faithful Marvel films in the Disney animated style more than any other Marvel movie project. These are the fairytales of our age.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:17 AM   #10
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I would so love to see a Bruce Timm take on the early Avengers. This could be so good and Marvel has left the animated televison field open to DC too long.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote