Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #41
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
as just stated in other thread.... dont get all the hype and etc with these things Are these things licensed or bootleg things???
hmmm, I wonder if these are available in speak-easys

I think they are licensed but am not 100% positive
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #42
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
as just stated in other thread.... dont get all the hype and etc with these things Are these things licensed or bootleg things???
They are licenced (at least most of them are). And there is alot of hype, but some of these prints are absolutely stunning pieces of art. But it's no different to anything else people collect (including Batman memorabilia ). It certainly helps, if you are a life long fan of the subject matter (especially a lot of the classic / cult sci-fi and horror movies).

And you really have to see one in person to fully appreciate them. I was blown away by my first (the Sucker Punch print) and it was all down hill from there
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #43
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

I noticed something interesting today and thought it most appropriate to resurrect this thread as opposed to posting in one of our others.

Phantom City creative has amazing prints as well, and is well known in print circles. However they still have great pieces in stock, including the Conquest of the PotA piece they that was sold by Mondo and sold out by Mondo in minutes.

Are people buying "Mondo pieces" simply because it is "Mondo" is selling them? I get and support the licensed aspect but in poking around I am finding a ton of wonderful non Mondo prints out there available for a similar price and with zero hassle and aggravation.

Heres the link:
http://phantomcitycreative.bigcartel.com/

These guys have Stout pieces (granted not based on licenses)
http://www.postersandtoys.net/servle...egory=Restocks
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #44
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Thanks for sharing the links MM. I wonder what detail is missing in the non-Mondo Conquest poster, i.e. besides the edition number.

For many, it is the limited edition collectible aspect of Mondo posters that makes it more desirable and thus makes them feel they have something of more value. Of course there are smaller companies putting out limited runs of posters as well, but Mondo is far ahead in the race with licensing and thus holds better market value. But yes ultimately it should be more about the art itself than anything else.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #45
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Are people buying "Mondo pieces" simply because it is "Mondo" is selling them? I get and support the licensed aspect but in poking around I am finding a ton of wonderful non Mondo prints out there available for a similar price and with zero hassle and aggravation.

Heres the link:
http://phantomcitycreative.bigcartel.com/
I was seriously considering the Phantom City Krull poster a while back. I see it's on sale now. But it doesn't reflect the feel of the film that much.

I think the Mondo name carries a lot of weight. They were in a lot of articles last year. Also, the Mondo posters are collected in that Hollywood museum (I forget what it's called). People are buying just to flip too hoping they will get a hit. Look at the prices for the Totoro variant. But the Apes set prices aren't that strong.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #46
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Wow thanks for those links. I had no idea about that website and almost paid an ebayer 70 bucks for the Night of the Living Dead poster.

As to the question at hand. I discovered Mondo at the time of the Olly Moss SW poster drop. I would bet many discovered Mondo at this drop as well. The site that pointed me to this was firstshowing.net which is great for early info on upcoming movies (if you haven't seen it before). They highlight some, but not all, Mondo drops. When I got totally smoked on the Moss drop, I mean totally clueless and had no chance, I then watched these posters get BINed for 450, then 600, then 900, then upwards of 1k within the day. I was just shocked. Now they are 3k+ for the set.

Mondo has a great archive making it easy to see awesome pieces that you missed out on.

BUT, while the quality is great there is no question this is a fad that will fade. They always do. The flippers seem to be pulling less profit and once they disappear watch out below. Now older truly limited pieces should hold value but everything post Moss I would be leery of paying too much for. Note the edition sizes are creeping up as well. Its fascinating to see though.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #47
ReplicantSavior

Those Olly Moss Star Wars posters are pretty boring to me. I have no idea why they are going for so much. $3000 is insane.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #48
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Those Olly Moss Star Wars posters are pretty boring to me. I have no idea why they are going for so much. $3000 is insane.
His name is why people go insane, the Super Mario posters from him going on sale soon will reach ridiculous prices, the posters aren't special at all. People just want it because his posters demand high prices.
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #49
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
His name is why people go insane, the Super Mario posters from him going on sale soon will reach ridiculous prices, the posters aren't special at all. People just want it because his posters demand high prices.
I think I might try to sneak a Mario poster even though I don't like it that much. I guess Tyler Stout is the same. I don't like his art style and his posters go for a lot as well.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #50
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Are the Mario through Mondo or through his blog? I agree re: Stout's style, don't care or it at all, hurts my brain to look at.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote