Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 08-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Gothamite
Phoenix

Austin Books & Comics Labor Day 2019 4-Day Sale

Thursday, August 29 Preview Night, 8 PM to 11 PM
Friday, August 30 to Monday, September 2

Lots of statues will be 30% to 50% Off. They posted a preview of some prices on their Facebook page. When I went there today, the manager said that some statues were already pulled from the display cases in preparation for the sale. This included the LCSD Glitter Killer Frost variant (ES 500).

Also, they have a GCG Wonder Woman on display. The statue is sold out everywhere, but they found one in their warehouse. They're asking $400 for it.

https://www.facebook.com/AustinBooks/

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #2
Augen
Metal Men

My comic shop cannot do 50% off statues, but offers sales where they do gift cards for comics. For example when I got She Ra I got $100 in comics.

I'll be curious if your shop has any 1:4 or larger for 30-50% off.

I've resigned myself to never owning that GCG Wonder Woman. Seems like that line may be dead. Least I have Batgirl and Supergirl.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
Gothamite
Phoenix

I think the largest scale they have in stock is 1/4. I didn't see any of those pulled, lol.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #4
heypaul
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Damn, I’m going to be out of town and missing it. I might be able to make Thursday night. Do you know if they’re selling that night or will it literally just be a preview of what prices will be like Friday-Sunday?

I saw their GCG Wonder Woman the other day. The tattoos on the arms looked a bit faded/rubbed off, but I think they may all be like that, based on photos I’ve seen online. I’m surprised it’s still around at that price, but I guess as much as we all love it, shelling out $400 for that scale is still no laughing matter.
heypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by heypaul View Post
Damn, I’m going to be out of town and missing it. I might be able to make Thursday night. Do you know if they’re selling that night or will it literally just be a preview of what prices will be like Friday-Sunday?

I saw their GCG Wonder Woman the other day. The tattoos on the arms looked a bit faded/rubbed off, but I think they may all be like that, based on photos I’ve seen online. I’m surprised it’s still around at that price, but I guess as much as we all love it, shelling out $400 for that scale is still no laughing matter.
AFAIK, you can buy on Thursday night.

All of the WWs have faded tattoos bc they're applied decals, not painted.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
heypaul
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Thanks, buddy. Guess I'll take a packing break Thursday night and go check it out!
heypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
Gothamite
Phoenix

They have five Glitter Killer Frosts, $60 each.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #8
Gothamite
Phoenix

More pix:

Old 08-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #9
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Must be nice to have a place like this in your stomping grounds. I've only come across one vendor in my immediate area that has a good selection of older statues (Bowen, mostly) and they price them by eBay standards and beyond my rationalization for purchasing. Newer statues at discounts...? Ha!! It is to laugh! There are a few who add to their stock on a decent basis but not as frequently as in the past, and probably for understandable reasons in terms of getting stuck with slow moving product. Enjoy the opportunity.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
Gothamite
Phoenix

I think this particular store got a little "excited"/greedy with some of their acquisitions, though. For example, most stores got only one or two of the Glitter Killer Frost, which had an ES of 500. Why did this store get so many??? Austin is a small market compared to several other cities, and outside of the people I met through SF.com, I don't know anyone here who collects statues as their regular hobby.