Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > Mike Hill

Old 06-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #181
TOM S.
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Here's a question for you Mike. When you are sculpting a portrait of an actor in a charcter role (i.e Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's Monster) do you sculpt a representation including flaws (if any) or limitations in the makeup application ? Or do you sculpt your likeness remaining true to the makeup artists intentions, I guess in effect correcting those imperfections - sculpting the character as opposed to sculpting the actor in makeup? Something i always wondered about ( incidently, the Karloff/Frankenstein reference was only an example - Jack Pierce developed a makeup that transcended any limitations of time and material, in my opinion !). Thanks - Tom
TOM S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #182
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM S. View Post
Here's a question for you Mike. When you are sculpting a portrait of an actor in a charcter role (i.e Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's Monster) do you sculpt a representation including flaws (if any) or limitations in the makeup application ? Or do you sculpt your likeness remaining true to the makeup artists intentions, I guess in effect correcting those imperfections - sculpting the character as opposed to sculpting the actor in makeup? Something i always wondered about ( incidently, the Karloff/Frankenstein reference was only an example - Jack Pierce developed a makeup that transcended any limitations of time and material, in my opinion !). Thanks - Tom
Hi Tom,Thats a great question.Its a very fine line.

On the whole I will use the imperfections of the makeup,if it can be disguised as looking cool. Are we making an actor in makeup or a real monster?

As you said, the original make up artist didnt want those imperfections but they have become part of history so I do try and use them ,although a little discreetly.

Hope that makes sense?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:12 AM   #183
TOM S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post
Hi Tom,Thats a great question.Its a very fine line.

On the whole I will use the imperfections of the makeup,if it can be disguised as looking cool. Are we making an actor in makeup or a real monster?

As you said, the original make up artist didnt want those imperfections but they have become part of history so I do try and use them ,although a little discreetly.

Hope that makes sense?
Perfectly. Thanks Mike!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #184
TOM S.

Hi Mike. How are thing's going? Hope all is well.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #185
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Hi Tom , yup all is great.

Got a thousand projects on the go,sculptures,prototypes,movies,2D art...you name it.

Thanks or asking

Mike
Old 08-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #186
TOM S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post
Hi Tom , yup all is great.

Got a thousand projects on the go,sculptures,prototypes,movies,2D art...you name it.

Thanks or asking

Mike
No problem,Mike. Always great to have you posting on this forum!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:25 AM   #187
albeeman
U talkin' to me?

Um.. uh.. hi.. uuuh.. excuse me..

there are A LOT of chris reeve portraits in progress now.. i was wondering if you're not tooo busy if you were goin to do one also?

I got into this hobby and statue world because of u Mike! Would LOVE to see you whip something up!!
albeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #188
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

I dont have Chris Reeve on the cards sorry.
Mr Reeve has been covered a LOT and is still being covered.
I was actually offered a commision recently.Im not one to step on toes, so I turned it down.

Love the character though!

Old 10-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #189
Vader
Ghost

I think that's a good decision. There's way too many Chris Reeve's in the works already. Howard S. has done one, Bob Causey is doing one. The cinemaquette one is coming out. There's even that other one that was sculpted in Europe that is very good (Cap70 has it I think).

While I obviously love the Reeve superman, I've always loved your Ross version too. That is a fantastic work of art.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #190
TOM S.

I have to agree with you Vader about the Ross Superman - Mike did an amazing job ! Here's hoping Version 2 is a possibility! Mike - any chance of a del Toro "Wolfman" in the future ? Gotta say I love the design/concept that Rick Baker came up with and I can't wait to see it on the screen ! All the best! - Tom