Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #971
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaGrin View Post
Yea well, if they are not going to do and rely on a factory (we have been through this with other companies) then they need to make sure the factory does their jobs (do they not have QC reps at the factory?)...not just be the middle man and pass off the problem.

Especially when some of these issue could EASILY be AVOIDED if some took some extra time. But no...they rather just pas it off and then deal with refund and returns...which in my opinion (when all added up) will cost the company more time and money to resolve all of the issues after the fact, rather than beforehand.
Not sure you understand how QC works at a factory. In QC it's all statistical. They randomly check pieces as they come off the line. They don't check every single one. These factories have thousands of statues being manufactured from various companies. Some issues are bound to get through.

Yes, many of the collectors think they know how things "should" be done and in a perfect world they would have someone take each and every one and assemble it and make sure each and every one fit perfectly. Plus while they check each and every one they go over the paint job with a magnifying glass to be sure there are absolutely no paint imperfections. But that is not how it's done. I've been associated with the statue market since starting out as a mod for Bowen Designs forum and have made a lot of contacts and friends in this hobby. How collectors think it should be and how it's actually done are two different things.

And yes, some collectors would say they would run things differently but I can assure you if they were running it the way they think it should be then their statues would be retailing for over $1,000 for 1/4 scale and $500 for 1/6 scale.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #972
Incrysis
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Not sure you understand how QC works at a factory. In QC it's all statistical. They randomly check pieces as they come off the line. They don't check every single one. These factories have thousands of statues being manufactured from various companies. Some issues are bound to get through.

Yes, many of the collectors think they know how things "should" be done and in a perfect world they would have someone take each and every one and assemble it and make sure each and every one fit perfectly. Plus while they check each and every one they go over the paint job with a magnifying glass to be sure there are absolutely no paint imperfections. But that is not how it's done. I've been associated with the statue market since starting out as a mod for Bowen Designs forum and have made a lot of contacts and friends in this hobby. How collectors think it should be and how it's actually done are two different things.

And yes, some collectors would say they would run things differently but I can assure you if they were running it the way they think it should be then their statues would be retailing for over $1,000 for 1/4 scale and $500 for 1/6 scale.
While everything you are saying is true, it doesn't change the fact that there is a common issue with this piece and now every one of them should be hand checked before it goes out. That is good business.
Incrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #973
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrysis View Post
While everything you are saying is true, it doesn't change the fact that there is a common issue with this piece and now every one of them should be hand checked before it goes out. That is good business.
Can't see that happening as many still are assuming there to be wide spread problems. It would be interesting if there was a poll somewhere that could be verified to be non-duplicative as to how many truly have issues and how many do not.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #974
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Can't see that happening as many still are assuming there to be wide spread problems. It would be interesting if there was a poll somewhere that could be verified to be non-duplicative as to how many truly have issues and how many do not.
That's a good point and would be great to have a poll on here for such an issue
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #975
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Quote:

I know the basics I how it works.
I understand they pull some off the line, not all.

But that is what I am getting at.

IF a company were to take the extra steps to actually QC them ALL and can help insure things are correct, then that would put said company...in my mind...steps above others.

If they want to keep doing (what I consider) bare minimum, then they will keep running into these issues. And when these issues are even smaller and easier to fix, then it makes it seem even more of a "not caring / dont give ----" attitude.

Plus you know what will happen to some people. They will ask for replacements and they will get "these are handmade items, blah blah blah.." or "ok, here is 20 bucks back".
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #976
rico1701
It's not the years, it's the mileage

Anyone seen the purple tail store variant show up yet? Got mine on order from BBTS.
rico1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #977
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico1701 View Post
Anyone seen the purple tail store variant show up yet? Got mine on order from BBTS.
A few pages back Danchez posted pics of both together.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #978
Tacheyon
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Whelp I got the call from my LCS and went down to pick up the Ex.

Yep...Arm-gate. The store owner tried and i tried a couple times to get it to fit and nothing worked. He even had a spare torso from another order that had a broken base and that was even more off! The number on mine was 162. So now to wait another couple weeks (or more) to get some replacements in.

But the thing that I noticed was how they secured/protected the arms. They were bound with some tape and some Styrofoam between them. Now if there wasn't enough styrofoam and the tape was just tight enough, the constant pressure over the course of however long they were packed might also be a cause of the issue we are seeing.

True I am grasping at straws at this point, but it is something SS might look into when investigating why this is happening. Maybe a extra $0.20 of foam might saved them thousands of dollars in replacements.
Tacheyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #979
jcm3
Frackin!

Quote:
The problem is some people who say they got a perfect piece really didn't and in their pictures you can see the indentation on her left hand that should be covered up by the bracelet. In addition the magnet may or may not be making contact which could result in it wobbling depending on if the magnets are close enough to each other. Then you have the more noticeable ones where there is an actual air gap between the hands and arms or the body doesn't align with the hole in the base. So I think a poll would have to reflect these two levels of QC issues. One is worse than the other but neither should really be acceptable though I might be tempted to keep mine if it were not one of the more noticeable ones.
jcm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #980
jcm3
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheyon View Post
But the thing that I noticed was how they secured/protected the arms. They were bound with some tape and some Styrofoam between them. Now if there wasn't enough styrofoam and the tape was just tight enough, the constant pressure over the course of however long they were packed might also be a cause of the issue we are seeing.
I was thinking about that too and on mine the arms are indeed a little too close together to match up perfectly with the hands but it's not the only issue. On mine it seems the arms are also either a little too short or the distance/angle from the body is a little off.
jcm3 is offline   Reply With Quote